Billy Joe Saunders making excuses already not sounding confident

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Olu G. Rotimi, Apr 18, 2021.

1. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    No, that's just your spin to fuel your narrative. Saunders is blunt to say the least, and he shoots straight. He knows he's getting ****ed if it goes to the scorecards, even if he rightfully deserves the win, as do you.

YAAAAYYYY!!!! This is going to make Money May's resume look so much better, YAAAAYYYY!!!

Jesus ****ing Christ, you could be a little less transparent. You don't give a **** about Canelo. All this praise is feigned.

Loudon, Wizbit1013 and Jackman65 like this.
  2. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    LOL couldn't agree more about the irrational hatred of certain fighters like Canelo. I understand how fights are scored, and I'm one of the rare few posters around here who don't cry robbery after every decision! I thought Khan won maybe 2 or 3 of those first 5 rounds. Which two of the judges had it that way. One judge had Canelo winning 4 of those 5 rounds. I think that was a bit of a stretch, but not totally inconcievable. Though you know many fans on here would claim that score is an example of corruption like Adalaide Byrd or CJ Ross or something.

I wouldn't call the way Khan fought Canelo as "running". However many rounds you thought Khan won out of those first 5 rounds, I think we all thought Khan was winning at least some of those rounds and more importantly, was using footspeed and movement and was landing on Canelo from the outside. Sure, Canelo was in seek and destroy mode, setting up Khan up for the knockout, but nonetheless Khan was still having success. It will obviously be much harder to set up Saunders for a knockout, Saunders is much slicker than Khan, and isn't chinny like Khan, so Canelo may find himself in trouble if he gives away rounds early on and then, unlike Khan, is not able to get Saunders out of there.

So there are obviously many differences between Khan and Saunders, but one area where they are similar is that both Saunders and Khan have footspeed. Khan has faster hands than Saunders, hell Khan at one point arguably had the fastest hands in boxing, and a different style than Saunders. But Saunders has fast hands too for a SMW. I just look at the success that Khan had vs Canelo in those early rounds and could see that as a possible blueprint to the kind of success that Saunders could have as well. Saunders may not have hands as fast as Khan, but he's more awkward than Khan, slicker, more defensively sound, better punch resistance, stronger mentally, etc. So there's a lot of intangibles that Saunders brings to the table that could cause Canelo big problems. And in my estimation, a fit and game Saunders which he appears to be in heading into this match, is very capable of winning a decision here.

Many will disagree claiming that judges have pre-filled scorecards, and all that mumbo jumbo about judging corruption to favor the cash cow. And if you're Saunders, I think you do have to go into this match with a mindset that he has to try to win every round, give the performance of his life, expect to be robbed and see what happens with the scoring. If he fights well and loses the decision, he'll become a sympathetic figure and will pretty much be proven right about what he's saying about the judging. So even if he loses, but fights well enough to win, then that's only going to help his cause, in that scenario he'll be proven right about his suspicions with the judges and this could lead to him winning a rematch.

Greg Price99 likes this.
  3. sid

sid Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Agreed Chuck Saunders should have a English judge going by track record.

iii, Chuck Norris and Wizbit1013 like this.
  4. Komaster

Komaster Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Sep 20, 2010
    I'm happy you like Gypsies. As do I. And they are notorious haglers. It's hardly a negative attribute.

5. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    GGG who is legimately a bigger puncher and better boxer than BJS, went in there to take head Clenelo's head off.

Didnt manage to. Then got stiffed twice in both fights on the cards in fights he won by a good margin. I recall at least 116-112 in both.

So BJS has zero chance in this.

He seems to be salty that Hearn is behind Clenelo instead of him.

Of course he is.

Clenelo fights 2-3 times a year and is the biggest money maker in boxing. When BJS can be bothered to fight these days it is a once per year and its usually a fat camp against a bum, and he doesnt attract much money. No brainer really Billie boy...

BCS8 and CST80 like this.
  6. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    I have always rated Canelo highly especially when I saw him live in Las Vegas almost 10 years ago. Mayweather’s resume and legacy is secure. Saunders is going to be beaten up badly by Canelo the whole world knows it even Saunders knows it as deep down in your heart you know it too.

7. SheenLantern

SheenLantern Active Member Full Member

Jan 13, 2016
    Must be nice being a Canelo fan, knowing your guy will always get the nod if the fight is even remotely close.

iii, BCS8, CST80 and 1 other person like this.
  8. shadow111

Aug 1, 2012
    It has its ups and downs. It would be better if more posters on here didn't perpetuate the judging myths. But it's clear by now that it's not just his fights that people have a problem with judges scoring. It's a constant theme on here, every time there's a remotely close decision, there's always a number of posters claiming robbery or corruption. I think it really just comes with the territory. This is boxing, and the inherent controversy over judge decisions is what makes boxing unique to other sports.

9. Bustajay

Bustajay Feel the Steel/Balls Deep Full Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Anyone who signs the contract with Canelo should KNOW the judges like his style and favor him before the bell rings—-Ding Ding

CST80 and kriszhao like this.
  10. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    But until proved otherwise, should we not believe his comments here?

Or are we to pre judge him?

You should know with your qualifications thats not right

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  11. Wizbit1013

Mar 17, 2018
    Theres good reason people question the judging in his fights

You even say its understandable to CST80

And you disguise it by claiming its all hate

Your terrible

iii and Bustajay like this.
  12. kriszhao

kriszhao Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Clenelo is up 6 rounds before the fight even starts on at least one scorecard.

destruction and Bustajay like this.
  13. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    Why should we give a known compulsive liar the benefit of the doubt? To believe him means which should disbelieve the other side. No thanks I was not born yesterday. If the other side are breaching the contract as you say sue and get a court order for specific performance or an injunction to prevent shenanigans.

14. Wizbit1013

Mar 17, 2018
    So if he is telling the truth, its wrong of them to pull this yes?

He could sue but we all know that might put a career high purse at risk
    You know it, they know it

15. shadow111

Aug 1, 2012
    It is and I don't begrudge Billy or any of his fans from being worried about losing a decision. CST is well within his right to expect a robbery, and that's the mindset that Billy really needs to have to win. But remember Canelo didn't just become a Superstar by having anything handed to him. When he started boxing professional at the age of 15 he faced a lot of prejudice for having red hair and a different skin tone than most people in Mexico. If anyone can understand what it's like to be different and experience prejudice it's a Gypsy travelingman.

Being different and unique causes you to have to be stronger mentally so you can hold up under pressure. Canelo took the fact that he was red haired with lighter skin and used it to his advantage by making it his nickname. And look where that has taken him. Instead of feeling different as a bad thing, he took his being different than everyone else and used it to his advantage.

But Canelo didn't come up the easy way, he came up the hard way. Canelo grew up poor and had to fight to survive. Many don't know what that is like. Canelo learned what is like to be robbed at an early age. The first time he ever fought outside of his native Guadalajara he fought a fighter named Jorge Juarez in Tijuana. Jorge Juarez had a record of 3-5 but he was the hometown fighter. And Canelo fought him over 4 rounds on the road as a young kid and he didn't get the win. Jorge Juarez, a 3-5 fighter at the time, was given a draw by the hometown judges. Did Jorge Juarez really do enough to get a draw or was he just given a hometown decision? We may never know, but Canelo didn't cry about it, he just got back into the gym and went on a legendary winning streak and never looked back.

So it's understandable that Billy himself or CST is worried about what happens if it goes the distance. They expect a robbery and feel that Billy has no chance to win a decision. But judges do not pre-fill scorecards, if Billy comes in and wows the judges with his incredible skill round after round, and he truly deserves victory, it would be hard for any judge to take that away from him. But as a Gypsy travelingman, I think you have to maintain a healthy amount of paranoia about the world and you have to always prepare for you to not being given a fair shake. That way, if what you expect or are worried about happens, you'll be proven right. And if it doesn't happen, and you actually win the decision, you'll be pleasantly surprised. As a fighter, you can only control what you can control, and the stance that Saunders and CST has taken is very understandable, and really it promises to give them either credibility or happiness.

Olu G. Rotimi likes this.