Bizarre, Ugly-Looking Styles

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by cross_trainer, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Vic Darchinyan and Naseem Hamed have two of the strangest styles I've ever seen.

2. raiderjay

raiderjay Active Member Full Member

Jan 7, 2007
    Roy Jones- if he had fought with some technical skill it would have been incredible.

3. Raging B(_)LL

Raging B(_)LL KAPOW!!! Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Merqui Sosa sure was painful to watch at times, he was involved in several entertaining fights mind you but I don`t think I have ever seen anyone with such atrocious footwork and balance as he had, the man definately had two left feet the way he looked in there. I think Mantequilla said it best when he said that Merqui made Sung Kil Moon seem like Sugar Ray Robinson in comparison, I still get a chuckle out of that line whenever I think of it.

4. anut

anut Boxing Addict banned

Apr 4, 2007
    always thought delahoya had a weird ass style

5. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Bronsonville Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Victor Rabanales became world champion level by walking forward and swinging some of the widest, most powerful uppercuts I've seen. He was somehow stiff but sharp. He has some good wins and performances, too. Boxed a bit like Limon.

Kamikaze and greynotsoold like this.
  6. Showstopper97

Showstopper97 The Icon Full Member

Oct 7, 2020
    Ricardo Mayorga
    Shawn Porter
    Jarrett Hurd

shza likes this.
  7. Amos-san

Amos-san Member Full Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Some little guys : Jaime Rios (the way he moves), Bernabe VillaCampo (extra super hyper wild)

roughdiamond likes this.
  8. Saintpat

Saintpat Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Sosa had that knock-kneed stance that was really awkward and he winged punches from all angles.

Interestingly, James Toney and Roy Jr both rated him as the best puncher they’d ever faced (in their ‘Best I’ve faced’ interviews for Ring Magazine).

I can’t remember who it was, I think probably Toney or Roy, went on the Howard Stern show and Howard asked something (don’t recall what, maybe best puncher they’d faced) and the interviewee responded “Merqui Sosa” and kind of mumbled it.

Howard responded: “You fought a guy named ****** Sosa???”

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    fists of fury likes this.
  9. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Bazooka Limon

young griffo and Kamikaze like this.
  10. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Be real• Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Genes weird reverse cross guard and herky jerky swarmer style gives me literal OCD I can barely watch him without getting annoyed at what I am seeing-Haha

Vitali too, one of thee ugliest HW styles ever in action he just looked awful.

shza likes this.
  11. ecto55

ecto55 להחזיר את ממלכת דוד Full Member

May 28, 2009
    Probably mentioned already but Sam Soliman had an oddball style within normal, legal parameters. Its defineetly ugly...but then I thought Cory Spinks was ugly too. It might be a taste thing.

If you want to go deep into the spectrum Mysterious Billy Smith is said to have got up to unusual, bizarre antics in the ring and of course there's Gypsy Joe Harris who has 'issues'. There's a fight of him easily available (Griffith?) but I don't think he was really doing his usual bizarre stuff....its hard for an opponent to know what you're going to do if you don't know what you're going to do yourself.

12. Jamal Perkins

Jamal Perkins Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Modern boxing relies on size the cutting and gaining of weight with substances .

So many fighters fight with that rigid wide ass style where their almost doing half splits in their natural stance.The British scene is full of such people.They also tend not to fight very often.

13. Jamal Perkins

Jamal Perkins Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Yes that face humping/balls in the face manouever he used on tyson in the clinches...using his,weight to lean down on guys

Kamikaze and Showstopper97 like this.
  14. Showstopper97

Showstopper97 The Icon Full Member

Oct 7, 2020
    Lol

Jamal Perkins and Kamikaze like this.
  15. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Carl Froch.

I don't even know how I'd describe his style.

Glacial brawler/slugger, maybe? Whatever one calls it, it was surprisingly effective.

roughdiamond likes this.