BJS Contemplates Retirement.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Stiff Jab, Jun 10, 2021.

1. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 20, 2020
    Billy Joe was shoe-shining well against Alvarez, but IMO he was
    1) Not active enough
    2) Obviously uncomfortable with the body shots and was borderline bike-pedalling at times.

I had it 4-4 at the end of round 8, but round 8 was almost a 10-8 round for Canelo even without the KD.

I think Saunders look a LOT better relative to Yilidirm and Smith, which maybe caused some folks to overegg it in his favour.

By same token, I think folks that had it 7-1 Canelo were overegging it to Canelo as well.

Up until that uppercut, it was a close, competetive match that was really starting to become interesting.

Personally I don't think Saunders would have had the gastank to do well in the later rounds anyway, and Canelo's new style is very economical for him meaning he doesn't gas like he used to (likely weight related too)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  2. Lesion of Doom

Lesion of Doom Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2015
    This doesn't bother me a bit. He isn't sufficiently active or ambitious to recover from that defeat/injury. If he continues, it will be 18+ months of nothing and one more cash out fight. I'd rather he just retire now and open up opportunities for guys who are hungry.

lobk and gollumsluvslave like this.
  3. gollumsluvslave

Dec 20, 2020
    In terms of that kind of injury, I don't think many people come back well from a psychological point of view - I saw it with Ricky Burns after the broken jaw against Beltran, then with Kell Brooke after the Spence fight, both those guys were psychologically different (understandably gunshy) than before the injury - just look at how Brooke shelled up from a jab from Crawford. No one is gonna convince me the orbital socket injuries were not a factor in his reaction there.

Can't see how Saunders would fare any differently - you would need a very singular type of will to deal with that any other way.

4. Dodgy Syrup

Dodgy Syrup Active Member banned Full Member

Mar 20, 2019
    Maybe, I'm totally off.

But, my feeling is that Canelo was totally in control and it was inevitable he would get to Saunders, hurt him, and end it.

5. gollumsluvslave

Dec 20, 2020
    I feel the folks that had Canelo dominating 7-1/6-2 were a fair off, but also the folks that said Saunders was "schooling" Canelo and well ahead were also way off. In terms of scoring it was pretty close on my card.

I was actually more or less agreeing with you that Saunders did not look "awesome" - Billy was no where near active enough, or close enough to being the "ring general" to be ahead by very much if anything. But likewise Canelo's workrate was low, and though he scored some decent body shots, there was not a huge amount in it until that uppercut.

Of course, I think the stoppage and the manner of it fuelled a certain sense of Canelo being in control in hindsight - he was looking for that uppercut all night, and Saunders walked right into it - I think the bodywork that Canelo put in early and Saunders inactivity in recent years all added up to him getting sloppy and being caught with a perfect shot.

6. Safin

Safin Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Yes...

Yes, you are.

Saul Alvarez could only ever dream of having Saunders' skills and charisma.

7. Dodgy Syrup

Dodgy Syrup Active Member banned Full Member

Mar 20, 2019
    No, I'm not.

You are clearly indoctrinated into the Saunders cult though, aren't you?

You've lost all rational perspective and are drooling...quick, wipe your chin.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  8. iii

iii Boxing Addict Full Member

May 3, 2016
    Hey Spunkbubble, you're only young once but in your case immature forever...picking on a Child of a boxer ..really ??!...PpFFF

9. timeout

timeout Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 15, 2010
    "Leave it son..."

"......you ***** quit on the stool and I got moshed by security staff."

"....despite the 30ft ring...."

10. maac

maac Member Full Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Good retirement and long life, boxing is ok without him

11. kobashi

kobashi Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Said on here day after the fight he wouldn't have the motivation to come back so not surprised at all.

12. 22JM

22JM Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Didn't BJS called Canelo a Pu$$y? So a P.... retired him? karma is no joke

13. Marto

Marto New Member banned Full Member

Apr 24, 2021
    He wont be missed

maac likes this.
  14. DJN16

DJN16 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    It's still post fight feelings and of course doubt from BJS. I'm sure we will see him again albeit for 1 maybe 2 more fights depending on the competition.

15. lobk

lobk Original ESB Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Saunders wants to call it quit after facing his first real challenge? If he does retire we will never hear the end of his fans telling us how good he was prior to Canelo. Just like Hamed after he faced Barrera.

Many great boxers have lost but came back stronger and hungrier.