BJS V Murray

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Patter983, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Cluedo

Cluedo Member Full Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Billy needs to get down to 160 agreed, at 168 he just seems to be carrying bulk

2. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    He moved up out of laziness. Most spoilt boxer ever.

EJC83 and Holler like this.
  3. Work the body

Work the body Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 5, 2015
    He always says he wants the big fights and I never believe him.

rezzer and Holler like this.
  4. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    I must be in the minority because I though all things considered (13 months out etc) that Billy Joe put in a decent performance.

Martin Murray is on the slide yes....... but what a tough hard ****er he is.

neverheardofher, Scissors and moog like this.
  5. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    He showed some lovely flashes. But he did seem a bit slower and his footwork though very good was not as good as normal.

neverheardofher and Twentyman like this.
  6. moog

Mar 12, 2012
    Murray at this stage in his career would not last beyond 3 or 4 rounds against Smith or Canelo. Murray is one really tough man but was semi retired and it's been two years since Ndam beat him fair and square and it's clear he has regressed since then. In perspective look what Callum Smith done to Ndam, blew him away. He made him look like the fridge world level middleweight he is. Were as Murray is arguably not even British title quality now and is really a middleweight too and Saunders never came close to blowing him away and hasnt looked near his best in any fight at 168.

crixus85, Scissors, kojak and 2 others like this.
  7. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    I’m surprised at people complaining about Murray. What do you expect from MM. at his very best he was a limited boxer, no power, no engine. And no no no he never “ should “ have been a world champion. That accolade does go to Macklin who did beat sturm. Murray fell short every time he stepped up.

8. Guru88

Guru88 Active Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2020
    Saunders’ style isn’t to blow people away, you can still look impressive without knocking someone out. Saunders often boxes to the level of his opponent, if he is 100% on his game I wouldn’t rule him out against anyone

9. moog

Mar 12, 2012
    No would I. There was worrying signs, regards his speed and footwork being slower. He isnt a big puncher but he should be getting anvery old semi retired well passed his best Martin Mureay out of there.

crixus85 and Patter983 like this.
  10. Guru88

Guru88 Active Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2020
    Why? He was ring rusty and won pretty much every round, why should he change his style just to try and stop someone

11. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Wasn't particularly entertaining watching BJS hitting a moving heavy bag for 12 rounds but he did the job and I look forward to his next fight in August 2021 against a mandatory 3 or 4 years past their prime.
    James Tennyson looked good though last night.

12. moog

Mar 12, 2012
    I never said he should change his style, my point is he is not as good at 168 as he is at 160. With his style he should still have been able to stop this version of Martin Murray.

Holler and Twentyman like this.
  13. Wig

Wig Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 31, 2010
    Saunders cost me a packet last night not being able to stop the shot to pieces immobile ghost of old Martin Murray. Not happy.

Scissors and lencoreastside like this.
  14. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    He doesn't have to do that to win the fight, but it may have helped him win some support. Which in turn would boost his earnings in the future.

15. davidjay

davidjay Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Which leads me to something I thought last night. BJS was unbackable at 1/33, yet only 9/4 for a stoppage, which is a very lop-sided book. At the end of the ninth, with Murray in trouble and barely punching back, Saunders' trainer was telling him to take a rest in the tenth while Jamie Moore was hugging Murray as if to say this is your last round. Saunders did take a rest, for the rest of the fight. We talk about corruption on the scorecards but to me this is equally worthy of looking at.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    crixus85, Holler and lencoreastside like this.