Bob Arum: Joe Smith Beats A. Beterbiev

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by POTUS, Sep 13, 2020.

Joe Smith vs Artur Beterbiev

1. JS

21.0%
  2. AB

79.0%
  1. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Smith will always have a punchers chance against anyone. With that said id pick Beterbiev to beat him.

POTUS, Wizbit1013 and gdm like this.
  2. gdm

gdm Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Mar 20, 2011
    soft ass Bivol won by shutout , Beterbiev would smash stiff and slow smith inside 5 . Keep dreaming.

3. pistal47

pistal47 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2007
    For reference - the punch Eddie Caminero hot Joe Smith with and obliterated his jaw. Joe did not want to quit and wanted to go out on his shield. Judges and doctors wouldn't allow that so they have the TKO win to Caminero. Caminero had more problems and impediments than one could list. Most namely his dedication, effort, training(when he did), skills, size, physical dimensions and length, and it wasn't that he actually had a physically bad chin - to him either he or his opponent was leaving on a body bag or stretcher, as in YOU END FIGHTS MA FAKA. I'm sure as you could imagine Eddie did not train the hardest or show up in the best shape, he just wanted to kill or be killed - hich is what always happened.

Eddie Caminero was never 1/50 boxer AB is or sk8lled or talented on those same levels. But there IS one area Eddie can compete with Artur p4p and maybe even surpass him. Nah he doesnt have thr skills or pedigree or development or whatever - but DO NOT GET IT TWISTED - as hard ad beterboss hits, he's still likely not close to Smith and Caminero's Department in punching power, and if Eddie can drop a seed on Joe's chin and mangle it like he did but still not put him down or out or dissuade him -- then I guarantee neither is Artur amd once that happens, for the first time ever, Smith casually and savagely walks Artur down and ends him with a shot that would make people wonder who the **** Franz Ferdinand was.

Badbot and CST80 like this.
  4. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    Joe's chin is made out of adamantium, he can be hurt, have his jaw broken, but the man will not go down. Walking opponents down that don't want to be KO'd isn't necessarily Smith's forte, however... landing devastating counters on hyper aggressive opponents who have him hurt, is.

Need remind anyone of the Hail Mary Joe landed when backed along the ropes, when he was being "hurt" or was it that he walked Fonfara onto that shot? Regardless, if Beterbiev gets his shot to take him out, he better proceed carefully, because Joe is always one shot away from changing the complexion of a fight, and he's an excellent finisher.
    This content is protected

Now sure, you can say, but he didn't KO Hart and Beterbiev has a better chin than Hart, but here's the catch, Hart is slipperier than a ****d up octopus, he sucks as a boxer, but his survival instincts are immaculate. Beterbiev on the other hand, he's not all that slippery.

Not saying Joe will beat him, but Joe can beat him.

5. Grinder

Grinder Dude, don't call me Dude Full Member

Mar 24, 2005
    :hang

6. RightLeftCombo

RightLeftCombo Active Member Full Member

Feb 21, 2019
    I'd pick Beterbiev to win, but wouldn't rule Smith out at all. His ruggedness, heart and power give him a chance.

7. UniversalPart

UniversalPart Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Smith's best shot is from the outside but as we have seen so many times, Beterbiev is incredible at closing the distance, setting traps and on the inside he can maul you and really hurt your body and therefore bring your hands down and open up your defence.

I haven't really seen a body attack from from Smith Jr at all.

This either goes the Gvozdyk route or like the Kalajdzic way and he gets chopped down before he has a chance to get going.

8. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    He has a punchers chance. In all likelihood Beterbiev would give him a potentially career ending beatdown. I like Smith and would rather not see that.

9. Flo_Raiden

Flo_Raiden Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Smith is someone that I've grown to appreciate despite his limited but effective abilities. His performance against Alvarez was his best showing that I've seen of him. That said, Beterbiev would be the worse kind of fighter for him. I think Beterbiev would be too strong, powerful, and clever for someone like Smith. Smith's only chance would be if Beterbiev somehow gets injured again.

UnleashtheFURY likes this.
  10. Ph33rknot

Ph33rknot Momento mori banned Full Member

Mar 5, 2012
    I can see it smith hits hard it it's a punchers chance

11. Alo2006

Alo2006 R.I.P Sean Taylor Full Member

Jun 28, 2006
  12. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    I mean...possibly. Beterbiev >>> Smith in skill, but ~= in power and Smith >>>>> in chin, so...

CST80 likes this.
  13. anjawnaymiz

anjawnaymiz Can we get Ivan Dychko some momentum Full Member

Sep 6, 2008
    I like watching both fighters.

beterbiev is an animal though and I don’t think anyone beats him right now. I’d picked the nail to beat smith but who knows what the nail has left or how Artur will be after this injury recovery.

im going beterbiev via ko in the 7th

14. Stiff Jab

Stiff Jab Despiser of Super-Middleweights Full Member

Jan 7, 2019
    Beterbiev. Joe Smith has proven himself to be a hell of a lot better than most gave him credit for, but not to the point I'd take him over the top dog of the division.

15. Peter Paul

Peter Paul New Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Smith loads up way too much on his power punches. Beterbiev's short power will make Smith hesitate before throwing his bombs. I just don't see how Smith wins this one TBH.