Bob Arum Thinks Fury-Wilder 2 Will Match Pac-May In PPV Buys...

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Paranoid Android, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Wonder what his estimation is after Fury's last outing?

madballster, Aydamn and KeedCubano like this.
  2. DonTyson

DonTyson Active Member Full Member

Dec 2, 2018
    How much is a PPV in America? In UK it’s max £20 which is reasonable for a big enough fight

3. Robney

Jan 18, 2010
    Just over 3 times that amount. $80

KeedCubano likes this.
  4. Reppin501

Reppin501 The People's Champ Full Member

Apr 26, 2010
    If it were for the undisputed championship it would be huge...not May/PAC huge but really big. They need Wilder to spark Ruiz first then that fight becomes massive.

5. Robney

Jan 18, 2010
    Wilder vs Ruiz would already be for the undisputed championship if Ruiz wins again. Fury doesn't have a belt.

6. Reppin501

Reppin501 The People's Champ Full Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Right...If Wilder won the undisputed title and defended it against Fury it would be big business. They could sell the hell out of that fight.

7. northpaw

northpaw Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 5, 2010
    US sales will hover at 350-400,000 for the rematch. No clue for the UK but I assume they'll be higher.

Heavy_Hitter likes this.
  8. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    The Errol Spence-Shawn Porter fight is definitely a test case.

Neither is a PPV star. But Fox has been heavily promoting the event on all their channels, sports talk shows and during other sporting events and NFL games.

If Spence-Porter draws more than a million PPVs (and the undercard is awful), Wilder-Fury will be a monster PPV.

Wilder-Fury are much more well known by mainstream sports fans now than they were even last year (and certainly more well known than Spence and Porter).

Showtime didn't push the first Wilder-Fury fight nearly as hard as Fox has been pushing a fight like Spence-Porter. Showtime also didn't have the reach or the additional channels to do much.

If Fox AND ESPN are promoting Wilder-Fury 2, it will have a bigger push than any boxing match has had since Lewis-Tyson.

We'll see. A lot depends on how the Spence fight does Saturday with just the major push by Fox. The Spence-Porter preview shows and interviews on Fox the last couple weekends apparently have drawn significant ratings.

It would be nice if the heavyweight title fights became major sporting events again in the U.S.

If Wilder-Fury 2 is wildly successful, the PBC strategy of buying time on networks, cornering the U.S. market, and then signing with major national network that will totally get behind boxing will have proven successful.

9. Trafford

Trafford Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    If Spence vs Porter does a million PPV buys i will eat my hat... in fact i would put everything I own on the line that says that PPV does under 400k buys

10. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    We'll see. I'll be curious to see how all the advertising they've done on highly watched NFL games will do to boost PPV. Companies spend millions a game for a couple ad spots. If Boxing gets ZERO bump for all the advertising that the network has given, that wouldn't bode well for the guys selling NFL ad spots.

The last Shawn Porter fight on Fox drew nearly 1.7 million households. They're not all going to buy the fight, but those are strong numbers. And he isn't even supposed to win.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  11. DonTyson

DonTyson Active Member Full Member

Dec 2, 2018
    That’s a lot, I’d never pay that unless for an absolute mega-fight.

12. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    The top two heavyweights in the world, both undefeated, both in their primes, one being the best boxer in the division, the other the best puncher in the sport, in a rematch of arguably the fight of the year last year, for the title... IS A MEGA FIGHT.

Rilz likes this.
  13. Trafford

Trafford Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    So it’s now confirmed it did around 300k buys.

No where near the million

14. Dirsspaardis

Dirsspaardis Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 2, 2017
    No. No, he doesn’t think that.

15. Angler Andrew

Angler Andrew Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 28, 2016
    Neither can fit the stadium,let alone sell millions of PPVs.