Bob Baker, James Parker, and Nino Valdes leading up to their 1st fight with A Moore.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mendoza, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Being 210 pounds alone doesn't make you great, and a skilled 180 pound can can in fact beat him. This is what happened with all of Archie Moore's " big opponents "

Allow me to offer a few examples to illustrate my points by examining the records of 200+ pound fighters records before and after then fought Archie Moore.

1 ) Big Bob Baker. About 210 pounds

-Was Ko'd by a skinny 184 pound Clarance Henry in 8
    - Lost on points to a journeyman in Graham who was 27-12-2!
    - Ko'd in 1 round by a 180.5 pound Bob Satterfield!
    - Lost on points again to Clarance Henry.

Then he meet Archie Moore and was Ko'd. Leading up to the Moore fight
    Baker lost two of his last three fights. Baker's Ko percentage is under 30%. If you follow his career, he pretty much lost to the top guys under 200 pounds. So how is this guy any good? Such a fighter could only be ranked in a weak era of heavyweight boxing.

2 ) James Parker around 205-210 pounds

- Lost to a 4-2 no name!
    - KO'd in 2 to a 174 pound Buceoroni
    - Ko'd in 4 by 185.5 pound Reynolds!
    - Lost on points to a journeyman 30-13-2 fighter in Thrumond!
    - Lost on points to Valdes
    - Drew to a with Walls
    - Drew to a 9-0 fighter!

Then was Ko'd by Moore and finished his career being Ko'd in 1 by Chavalo.

If Parker was ranked in the 50's its because the era lacked talent. He has no name wins, and would not be ranked in the top ten today.

3 ) Nino Valdes, about 210 pounds.

-Had a 32-9-3 record leading up to the fight with Moore, which means he had 12 bad results. This is a journeyman''s record.

-Ko'd in 3 rounds by a 1-1 fighter!
    -Ko'd in 8 by a 3-4 fighter!
    - Lost on points to a 20-3 fighter. no shame here.
    - Ko'd in 4 by an 11-13 fighter!!!
    - Lost on points to a 9-1 fighter.
    - Lost to a much smaller Harold Johnson.

Then he lost to Moore, and lost back to back again. Total losing streak 4 fights in a row, then Valdes turned it around by beating a past his prime Ezzard Charles, and pretty much vaulted up to the #1 spot despite too many black marks on his record to mention.

Moore's first win over Valdes should wasn't that impressive. Who did Valdes beat leading up to his first match with Moore? I see a guy who failed to win a big match, and was Ko'd three times by no names, and out pointed by no names. I am not too impressed with this win.

If we were to compare these fighters to Chagaev, the following conclusions can be made. Chagaev was moved much quicker as a professional, never was Ko'd multiple times or lost multiple times on points to journeyman. In fact, he is un-defeated and look much better on film.

To compare Chagaev to these fringe contenders fighters the 50's who were around 210 pounds suggest ignorance, or in some cases bias.

Yet SuzieQ ( Maricnao and the Writers of the times refered to it as Suzy-Q ) by the way, thinks these men were so big and great.

2. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    These fighters were big and had solid all round boxing skills. They were clearly the best big men aroud and among the top heavyweight contenders of the period.

They were not fringe contenders by any stretch of the imagination.

3. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    While Chagaev was moved allong verry quickly in his early profesional career he had a long amateur pedigre of the kind that no fighter of the 50s would have before turning pro.

I would also add that he is going to have the biggest test of his career soon and how he comes out of that will make a big difference to this question. I can see Valdez or Baker outpointing Valuev but a good performance against Klitschko would change the equation somewhat.

4. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005
    I thought it would be interesting to note...Chagaev is 26-0. Bob Baker started his professional career 28-0 before his first loss! lets wait till chagaev catches up, shall we?

Anyone here see Baker vs Henry I? I am telling you a must get people. Rounds 7 and 8 showed some serious skills and power in both men. You will come away impressed.

5. SuzieQ49

Sep 14, 2005
    Another top 10 210lb + heavyweight moore beat was Alejandro Lavorante was # 4 rated in the world, and 6'4 212lb. Moore beat him so badly lavorante had to be carried to a stretcher.
    Moore was 45 here.

Here you go boxing fans...Here is a glimpse of moore against young talented 20-1 6'1 212lb heavyweight prospect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMPXHqGiB28

6. MrMarvel

MrMarvel Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Nice post. The point about these fighters only being ranked in a weak division is spot on. The heavyweight division was weak throughout the 1940s and into the mid-1950s. Towards the end of the 1950s we start to see some consistent quality emerging.

7. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Lavorante talented? Stop drinking. For openers your information is wrong. Lavorante wasn't 20-1 when he meet Archie Moore! Lavorante in fact lost TWICE prior to facing more, and only has 19 career victories.

His record is mostly padded. The fact that a 18-2 fighter, who lost two fights before meeting Moore to a 21-6 fighter was the #4 rated man signals a weak error of heavyweight boxing!

By the way I'm not going to look up if Lavorante was indeed #4 at heavyweight when Moore fought him. I'll take you at your word even though you had two mistakes on his record in your above post.

Lavonrante record is very padded. He did beat Folley, but his record vs the best fighters he fought in Ali, Moore, Folley, Harris was 1-3.

Lavorante later died from boxing related injuries.

I see SuzieQ has not opted to insert excuses on Parker, Valdes, or Baker leading up to their fights with Moore. Perhaps he understands that the truth and fact they were not very good at that point are starting to sink in.

8. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Of course. But some people here feel that because Charles or Moore beat so and so, it makes so an so a great fighter.

That is not the case. A divisions top ten should not have multiple losses to journeyman, and padded records. Yet in the 40's to mid 50's that was most certainly the case.

Furthermore many of those who populated the top ten were Ko'd too often....sometimes by lesser puncher types. There were a few 210 pounders, but as the record here shows the weight alone did not make them top tier.

9. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    I would say that is as much a function of the era as anything else.

In an era where fighters fight more often and are matched harder from the outset the top fighters will suffer more losses ant somtimes to lesser fighters.

10. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    I disagree. Top fighters should not lose often to journeyman. The top ten should have a near shut out record over non-ranked journeyman. 1 loss on the way up it ok, but if a top ten guy losses to a journeyman multiple times, he should be out of the mix.

It seems that many modern fighters are ready for a title shot in their 20th-30th fight. It seems that many fighters in the 1940's and 1950 were still meeting journeyman in the 20th to 30th fight.

So I would argue modern fighters are moved quicker, and face better top ten rated fighters sooner.

If you use the heavyweight division, look at Ibragimov, and Chagaev, or if you prefer look at Povetkin in line for a title shot, and Haye in line for a title shot. These guys fought top 10 level guys in less than 25 fights, which means they were moved quickly.

There is also no doubt that the winning percentage of modern top ten fighters opponents is far better than the winning percentage of top ten opponents 50 years from now. The reason why again is the talent in those days simply was not good enough to hold off the journeyman to fringe contenders.

Not all fighters in the 40's and 50's lacked amateur expedience. I think Charles was something like 44-1 as an amateur.

11. SuzieQ49

Sep 14, 2005
    I see that Mendoza has not commented on the fact Baker started his career 26-0 just like chagaev did, except baker beat more Ring Magazine top 10 than chagaev did. Baker suffered quite a few hand injuries that caused some losses in the mid 50s, but in his prime he hardly ever lost.

12. SuzieQ49

Sep 14, 2005
    No not at all. The reason is back then, they fought ranked contenders every month, never cancelled or postponed fights(They actually had a thing called toughness)...when you fight the kind of hectic schedule they fought....Its normal to lose every now and then.

I would love to see Chagaev fight a hectic schedule against a ranked contender every month...he would have many losses.

13. janitor

Feb 15, 2006

14. SuzieQ49

Sep 14, 2005
    Bob Baker had a good amatuer Background. Hence he started out his pro career 26-0. But most of the other fighters did not have a good amatuer background.

15. SuzieQ49

Sep 14, 2005
    Just curious Mendoza....You complain so much of These men losing to "journeyman" fighters... Yet what about Wladimir Klitschko losing to THREE unrated journeyman Brewster Purrity sanders? all 3 of these men were not top 10 rated by Ring Magazine when they upset wladimir.