Bob Fitzsimmons Short Footage

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Bad_Intentions, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Bad_Intentions

Bad_Intentions Boxing Addict Full Member

May 15, 2007
    [YT]NhljVYJ9NKQ[/YT]

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  2. hopkinsfan07

hopkinsfan07 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 24, 2007
  3. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Fitzsimmons knocked out 7 men in one night with the fights totaling 19 rounds? Wow.

4. apollack

apollack Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 13, 2006
    That may or may not be true. No one has located the date for these alleged exhibitions.

cross_trainer likes this.
  5. Bad_Intentions

May 15, 2007
    yea, and all those men weighed over 250 pounds! :rofl

myth.

6. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    The video says all men weighed over 200 pounds, and one was 250 pounds. It does not say all 7 men weighed over 250 pounds!

7. UpWithEvil

UpWithEvil Active Member Full Member

Oct 17, 2005
  8. Sam Dixon

Sam Dixon Member Full Member

Nov 20, 2004
    On that date, I wouldn't think so, seeing as how Fitzsimmons' fight against Hickey was said to have taken place in the late evening on that date (around 10:30 PM), and seeing as how Fitz was reported to already be in New Jersey (he held camp in Eagle Rock, NJ) training for it in the immediate days leading up to it.

It may have happened on another date, but I'm quite sceptical in regards to that specific date.

Fitzsimmons won the scheduled four rounder against Hickey by stoppage, by the way, and not a three round decision as some may view the listing in the link to be (Hickey's corner threw in the sponge during the third after Fitz was said to have knocked him down a couple times in that same round).

9. apollack

Sep 13, 2006
    Sam is absolutely correct. On Sep 5, 1893, Fitz was in Newark, NJ, and stopped Jack Hickey in the 3rd round.

10. Bad_Intentions

May 15, 2007
    :patsch my mistake.

:D

11. Bad_Intentions

May 15, 2007
    adam how is the book going? :D

12. UpWithEvil

UpWithEvil Active Member Full Member

Oct 17, 2005
    That's odd; I wonder where the 5 September date comes from then?

I also noted on the CBZ page that Fitzsimmons isn't credited with beating a second opponent in Chicago on 25 March, contrary to the Chicago Times the following day. These sorts of exhibitions must be remarkably hard to track; I know in the case of Jim Jeffries' European tours, I have a few newspaper reports from the UK offering short blubs to the effect, "Champion boxer James J Jeffries will be in Cardiff this evening to accept gloved challenges from the audience," but not a word written in the subsequent week.

13. apollack

Sep 13, 2006
    Hey, it's great that we all try to help each other figure all this out. That's how we clear history up.

I'm currently working on my Fitzsimmons book. I've already got well over 300 pages written.

First thing's first. Let me know how you all like IN THE RING WITH JAMES J. CORBETT.