Bob Fitzsimmons vs. Jack Dempsey.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by VG_Addict, Jan 15, 2014.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    He was considered a master boxer thats my point.

I'm specifically taking issue with the assertion that the 20's boxers were technically inferior to the Louis era.

ps. Mendoza has footage of Weinert.

2. sugarjay

sugarjay Guest

i think boxing has evolved in terms of how fighters move and punch... do you not see a vast difference?

3. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Were Dempsey to defeat Fitz it would have been his best pelt by a country mile.

4. burt bienstock

burt bienstock Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2010
    As to who would have won between a prime Ruby Robert Fitz at about 165 lbs and a prime Jack Dempsey tilting the scales at about 193 pounds, I must take the vastly underated on ESB, Manassa Mauler...Too frenetic in style and
    an earlier and bigger edition of Roberto Duran in vicious torque punching, bobbing and weaving defense, with snarl and all...Though a great American poet and boxing aficionado, Edgar Lee Masters who saw ringside all of Fitz and the rest of all the heavyweight champions most important fights ringside
    bouts including Joe Louis, and chose Fitzsimmons as the greatest of all.
    Whom of us truly knows. But ONE thing I do know is only on ESB, Jack Dempsey today by many posters gets the shaft stuck in him 90 years after
    his prime...For example, his 1 rd ko loss at the hands of a veteran Jim Flynn
    is always quoted by Dempsey naysayers on ESB, though it was very likely that it was a dive in 1917,BEFORE Dempsey hooked up with Jack Kearns and
    Dempsey's career took off with great success. A short time later Dempsey under Kearns guidance flattened Jim Flynn ALSO in one round...
    My point is this . When Dempsey career is evaluated today by some naysayers they always bring up this fight in 1917 to ridicule his place in history H2H against other heavyweights, whilst a Joey Giardello ,though a terrific MW was flattened by a neighbor of mine Harold Green, in Joey's
    30th bout which I saw ringside at Eastern Pkwy Arena, a Henry Armstrong suffered an early ko, Sugar Ray Robinson was dropped on his back by
    an acquaintance of mine Artie Levine for about 17 seconds in 1946, a Joe Louis was kod by a Max Schmeling early in his career, a Benny Leonard was kod early in his career, a Joe Gans was kod by Elbows George McFadden
    but never has those great fighters been besmirched with their reputations as
    the great Jack Dempsey has been by some misguided posters, who bring up the Jim Flynn bout as an example of Dempsey's ineptitude...Bah, and not
    realistic I say...Well Dempsey has at least one devotee who thinks he was one of the toughest, roughest SOB heavyweights ever one one hell of a gentleman...

5. burt bienstock

Jan 22, 2010
    Dempsey was NEVER a fur trapper...

6. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I read he had his share of Beaver!

7. burt bienstock

Jan 22, 2010
    Now, now Mc, don't hit below the belt !:patsch

cross_trainer likes this.
  8. Rico Spadafora

Rico Spadafora Master of Chins Full Member

Feb 20, 2008
  9. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Dempsey should be favored. but reading about the fight that an aged Fitz gave to a prime Jeffries makes me think that Bob has a chance to make show of it.

10. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    MENDOZA SAYS: Fitz wasn’t easy to stop by any means. From February 1890 to November 1905, only Jeffries stopped him in a near 15 year period. Durability is best judged when a fighter is hit, and during this time the likes of Choysnki, Sharkey, and Maher landed on Fitz.

Many who lived in the times felt Fitzsimons was a better puncher than Dempsey and rated him higher than Dempsey. A cunning strategist in the ring, Fitz combined tremendous leverage on his blows with uncanny accuracy.

I like Dempsey in the first third of the fight, and Fitz beyond round 9. 60/40 in favor of Dempsey.

The truth is lesser men ( and punchers ) than Choynski, Maher and Sharkey had Dempsey on the floor. Fitz proved he could get up from a harder punch IMO.

11. kingfisher3

kingfisher3 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 9, 2011
    dempsey should be a decent favorite imo, about 1/2.

12. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    The truth is prime Choynski,Maher ,and Sharkey were all light heavies, and Maher and Choynski had chin issues . Maher and Sharkey were crude wallopers Dempsey was not, he didn't throw wild, one at a time shots , he threw in combination ,short hooks with full power on them.Dempsey also had a much better chin than Choynski and Maher.
    If either had been as durable as Jack they might have topped Fitz , both had him ready to go before catching the lights out train.
    Fitz was dropped by a puncher nowhere near Dempsey's class,Corbett, and stopped by Hall and Dooley.

13. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Sharkey and Maher today would be cruisers, not light heavies. Maher had a glass jaw, but he can punch. Tom Sharkey was an iron man. Fitz as I stated fought many punchers, and got up to win proving he could take a heck of a shot.

As for Dempsey, he was Ko'd in 1 round by a washed up Fireman Flynn.

A sloppy and hurt Firpo also floored him.

Dempsey was rocked on the one solid punch that Carpentier landed and Carpentier never weighted more than 175 pounds.

IMO, Fitz hit harder than all of these guys, and certainly could take Dempsey out.

Dempsey was also down vs Sudenberg, a fighter with a known losing record )( 11-24 with 19 draws. ) and lowly KO% of 7.81%.

14. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    This is so amusing! Fitz was stopped in1890 by Hall and 9 years later by Jeffries he was stopped again by Jeffries in 1902.
    Stopped on retirement by O Brien in1905.That's three stoppages in a total of 14 fights .

Now ,[this is the amusing part ,] contrast this with the man you say had a weak chin namely Jack Johnson . In a near 15 year period from Choynski in 1901 until 1915 against Willard over a total of 65,yes 65 fights, Johnson was not stopped at all, in fact he was only down ONCE and that was a highly dubious one! You talk about double standards? You invented them!
    Thanks for the laugh!:lol::good

15. Webbiano

Webbiano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Just like your boy did just before he knocked out Sharkey? Talk about double standards ey ... :tong

Jokes aside I agree with what your saying. Had Demspey lost another fight early like Lewis, then the criticism might be justified. I guess it's just a lazy way of justifying opinions on why they think he might lose a fantasy match up, when in actual fact it's pretty weak evidence. All it does is justify that the right punch at the right time could take out any fighter, but everyone already knew that right?