Bob Foster vs Andre Ward At 175

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by sas6789, Jun 11, 2021.

Bob Foster vs Andre Ward At 175

1. Foster By PTS

19.2%
  2. Foster By KO/TKO

65.4%
  3. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ward By PTS

11.5%
  5. Ward by KO/TKO

3.8%
  1. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    On the basis of what?

Reinhardt likes this.
  2. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    on the basis that I think he is better than Bob

White Bomber and robert ungurean like this.
  3. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    At LHW?

4. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    sure, that sounds like the optimal place for these 2 to face off.

White Bomber likes this.
  5. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    No, I meant do you think Ward is a better light-heavyweight than Foster?

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  6. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    I would have thought that was evident based upon my previous post and replies….Yes, I think Ward is better than Bob. Yes, I think Ward beats Bob. Yes, I think Ward is better (not greater) than Bob at LHW. Yes, I think Ward beats Bob at LHW.

White Bomber and robert ungurean like this.
  7. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    No need to be snarky. It was pretty obvious that I meant why do you think Ward is better but I ignored that.

What leads you to believe that Ward is better?

8. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    lol, sorry my bad. Anyway I am not a huge Bob Foster fan and while I think he is great, I find him overrated. And you are going to need to be great to beat Ward. I think Ward makes Bob fight inside and that Ward is better there.

9. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    But you think he is great lol

10. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    You make a good point about Ward's inside game but I still have to go with Foster. We all saw Ward get inside on Mikkel Kessler and completely handcuff him but Kessler had nowhere near the physical strength that Foster had. Frazier was the only guy that was able to use his strength to get inside against him but of course that was at heavyweight. Even the notoriously strong Dick Tiger was pushed back by Foster.

I do agree with you about how great Ward was and I think his versatility keeps him in this fight. I just think Foster was an absolute monster at 175 and just to powerful for Ward.

11. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Bob dominates Ward with the jab. Andre gets dropped by an hard Foster hook early on in the fight, and from there on is cautious.
    Ward remains on his feet after that but loses on the cards by a wide margin.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  12. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Very very tough fight to call. Bob has the better jab which I'm all about and hits harder while Ward has the inside game defense and cleverness. Whoever imposes there will on the other guy takes it

Pat M and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  13. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    yeah, he is great…only a fool would say otherwise. I do think he is a little one dimensional, at least in contrast to the other LHW greats. His power and jab are on par with anyone, so it is a great dimension to say the least.

I do think Ward is brilliant (no I am not particularly a fan…similar to Canelo for me in that I don’t root for either guy….but I always come away impressed), and great at taking away or minimizing an opponents strengths. So if Ward can figure out that jab (no easy task I know) I am comfortable with Ward avoiding the power for the most part. If he does that I don’t see another dimension that Foster can throw at him that he can’t handle.

I wouldn’t pick Ward over Charles or Spinks…or even Saad for that matter. But style wise I like him over Bob.

perhaps I underrate Bob, and other power punchers like Gomez, Zarate, Cuevas, Jackson and McClellan etc. I think they are all great but struggle (well maybe not Gomez lol) with other highly skilled great fighters. But at least I am consistent lol.

14. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    TBE and GOAT are entirely different things.
    PhillyPhan69 probably thinks he's great in the sense of what he achieved, and he thinks Ward is better in the sense that he's better H2H.

15. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    PhillyPhan is pretty capable of saying what he thinks, but you are not far off. I don’t think George said or really anyone on this forum that Bob is the best ever or even GOAT at LHW.

I do think Bob is greater, he certainly accomplished more, for longer and in a more emphatic manner. I do think Ward is better h2h against each other, but overall Bob might be the better LHW h2h against different fighters…or at the very least I think they are on par with each other.

White Bomber likes this.