BodyBuilder and Fitness model discussion page

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Anglosaxon, Nov 10, 2012.

1. cutthroat22

cutthroat22 New Member Full Member

May 31, 2012
  2. pichuchu

pichuchu Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 13, 2011
  3. Jdsm

Jdsm Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Indeed.

It's something I've talked about on here a few times, slowly upping calories after a prolonged diet. I think I posted this in Small's thread in the lounge.

4. Jdsm

Aug 8, 2010
    Yeah, protein synthesis is elevated for around 48 hours after you train (it's going to vary, ofcourse). It's actually surprising how little we know about DOMS, but it seems to be inflamatory proteins.

I rarely ever get sore (apart from maybe the glutes) now, soreness isn't really indicitive of growth; although it can be useful to figure out whether you've hit the muscles you wanted to hit.

5. Matt Ldn

Matt Ldn Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Going to try get down to a really good fighting weight over Jan and improve my fitness then try and add some strength training in once I'm settled. I'm at around 80kg at the moment soft round the belly but not massively and want to get down to a more solid 75.

Just started again since a week before xmas and did a massive circuit session yesterday and doing sprints tomorrow. Moving closer to the gym soon so hoping to add a two day strength split for mornings so I could still train boxing (sparring, pads etc) 4 days a week and sprints on the weekend.

For my strength I want a simple 2 day split just to add a bit to my routine and wanted some advice. WAs thinking having two main lifts each day 3-6x5 (deadlifts and ohp one day squats and pull ups the other) with one or two assitant lifts 8-15x3. Any advice on this? I have really inflexible hips I was going to start agile 8 but are there are good leg alternatives to squats whilst I improve my flexibility?

Will post some pictures and figures when I get a house sorted and I'm settled to keep me motivated.

6. Smudger

Smudger Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Right, which is why naturals should be going to the gym more than 3 times a week, in theory? 3 day split did **** all for me tbh.
    Yeah I'm rarely ever sore to the point I can't move like how I was in the beginning. It seems a lot of people think if you're not walking like you've had a BBC up your arse you didn't work your legs hard enough the day before...

7. Jdsm

Aug 8, 2010
    Yeah, no need for the post-squat BBC shower walk for an effective workout.

I say atleast 2 times per week per bodypart.

8. Primate

Primate Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Look at Wendlers 531 and switch the squats for front squats until you get your mobility sorted out.

On the subject of DOMS, I've been crazy sore since I started this upper/lower/push/pull split. Doing 5x7 on the main lifts, then anywhere from 3x10 to 2x30 on 3 or 4 assistance exercises has left me reeling.

On the bright side, I just started taking creatine again, I can't wait for it to kick in so I get huge and ripped.

9. Jdsm

Aug 8, 2010
    Creatine? No thanks Jeff; I told my mother I wouldn't touch drugs.

10. Smudger

Smudger Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2009
    On a cold Friday afternoon, I had come home from school. I had been thinking of the gym all day. I was hungry, didn't have any lunch. In fact, I didn't eat because I spent the money. For the past month I was saving up for something. Something special which I bought at GNC. I was surprised they didn't ask for ID; I was pretty sure the cashier noticed how nervous I was. Anyways, my mom asked my how my day was when I got home, but I ignored her. I have more important things to do. I run to the bathroom and unpack my bag. In my school bag is a white plastic bag from GNC. I open the bag, first removing the receipt and flushing it down the toilet to get rid of the evidence. My heart was racing now. I unpack the creatine monster from the bag.

I wonder what people will be asking me when they see that I will be 50lbs heavier. Should I say I was just eating a lot? I remove the label from the tub and tear it into a thousand small pieces. I flush that down the toilet, too. It is time now. I run up to my room when my mom ask me what I am holding. I panic, sweat drips down my forehead and my teeth chatter. "Mom, it's just for a school project". "What project?" "I don't know mom I just started it!". A tear runs down my cheek. I run upstairs and open the creatine, scooping upservings into a clear water bottle. What have I gotten myself into? I fill it with water and drink it. There is no turning back now. The creatine monster is inside me now, it will control me. What should I do if I die? I cant let my family know about this.

I open the creatine tub and throw it all out the window; a white cloud of mysterious dust sparkles into the wind so graciously. I feel the substance taking control of me; I am now the monster. I walk downstairs, its time to work out; time to get big. Now I worry, I don't want to get too big; people will think I use steroids. I do use steroids. No I don't. Creatine. All I see is the weights now, I am almost downstairs when I hear "Do you want a cookie I just baked". I know I do not have time for this **** now. "No mom I do not want a cookie" I walk in the basement and drop to my knees before the weights, tears running down my cheeks. I turn to the right and look at myself in the mirror. Oh god, what have I done?

11. Matt Ldn

Dec 14, 2010
    :thumbsup:thumbsup Thanks for this suggestion mate downloaded it earlier and it seems to really fit what I want. My plan is to do the two day split on two mornings during the week with boxing in the evening 4 days and sprints on saturday. Do you not think this might lead to overtraining?? Never really been a fear for me before because I'm a lazy **** but I've got a lot of drive at the moment.

Think I might do some weights this week just to see roughly where I am strength wise. Any advice on routines to help with hip flexibility for back squats??
    :lol: I love ESB sometimes.

12. Jdsm

Aug 8, 2010
    This content is protected

13. Primate

Nov 16, 2010
    I wouldn't be too worried about overtraining unless your boxing training starts to suffer. 2 days of weights and a day of sprints shouldn't cause you any dramas after a few weeks when your body gets used to it.

If you've not spent a great deal of time lifting, it might be best to start on a basic 5x5 or 3x5 program for a few months just to establish a baseline before moving on to 531.

Not a bad place to start:
    http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1856085

14. Primate

Nov 16, 2010
    I told a coworker of mine that I'd picked up some cheap creatine and she actually said to me "so are you like... starting a cycle?"

15. Matt Ldn

Dec 14, 2010
    :good. I didn't think it would be too much just wanted to check like I said overtraining is a new concept to me I used to think you couldn't train on consecutive days.

I've lifted weights for a while admittedly the first year or so I was absolutely special but haven't lifted since I came out here. I was thinking just using a standard Rippetoe inspired routine till the end of the month then starting on the 531 but with conservative maxes.

I'll give that link a go when I've got some time tomorrow