Bodybuilding workout for boxing

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by younghypnotiq, Jun 18, 2007.

1. sdsfinest22

sdsfinest22 Pound 4 Pound Full Member

Apr 19, 2007
    You can't spell. Heavyweights are boring.

2. Ingar

Ingar The Mean Machine Full Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Did I argue for bicep curls? Read my posts again, I was merely stating a point in which saying "bicep training" being useless isn't a correct statement.
    In my very first post I said compound movements are the way to go, movements such as the clean and jerk, the snatch, squats. Probably movements you mostly don't know how to do, and movements I do nearly every day. So you saying for me to have fun with "my bicep curls" annoys the **** outta me.
    When did I say you would not gain weight from doing 2-5 reps?
    Hypertrophy (muscular gain) accounts for greater strength, it's one of the main methods for gaining strength when it comes to any sport, and any strength training method.

How fast and strong, pound for pound, do you think this guy is?
    Compared to guys who only do pushups and bodyweight squats...

[yt]xVB_rQFSsEg[/yt]

3. Pugsley

Pugsley Fat Bastard Full Member

Sep 2, 2005
    Ehhhhh I finally get what this whole topic has been about. The study is mainly trying to illustrate that if you push and gain strength in a certain direction, you should also *pull* in the opposite direction. It's called compensatory muscles, or agonistic versus antagonistic. Since a lot of punching involves 'triggering' fast and hard with the Tricep, without a strong Bicep to retract the outgoing force, you get a slower or a delayed recoil.
    That is one of my theories up to date on why so many Boxers in the past screwed up their back, they focused on working the front body too much (Abdominals) and end up neglecting the back, ultimately having very little resistance in the opposite direction. As a commonly known fact back pain is caused by disproportionate abdominal vs lower back strength. Everytime you launch a hook you outstretch the back muscles, then from the moment you jerk back to your neutral defending position, you inadvertantly end up damaging the back without even realising it. This happens because the transition between tensor and extensor is too long and fast for the actual compensatory muscles to handle. Of course that damage can be avoided if you paid equal attention to the back as well as the 'front'.

4. freesix88

freesix88 Member Full Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Yeah, when you train the abs you also should do the lower back indeed.

@Ingar, you are doing exersizes like squat deadlift cleans jerks everyday? Isn't that too much?

5. Relentless

Relentless VIP Member banned

Mar 5, 2006
    damn who is that guy, he is only 170lb and he lifts over 200kg!! **** me tommy!

6. Ingar

Jan 29, 2006
    You got it Pugsley, great summary.

Nono, I mean every day I lift, which is 4x a week.
    It's not too much, no. I do different variations of the movements each time, rarely if "never" to "failure".

7. Nwil

Nwil Active Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2006
    first of all, you don't know what I do or don't know. If you've read any threads on weight lifting you'll see me advocating those exact exercises. By the way, hypertrophy comes from 8-12 reps, not 2-5:good

8. Nwil

Nwil Active Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2006
    you lift 4 consecutive days in a row? Hope you're not doing the same muscle two days in a row.

9. skipdog

skipdog Active Member Full Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Its terrible... End of it. Bicep curls are bad because it greatly increases the chance of injuring or tearing them while fighting.

10. Rock0052

Rock0052 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2006
    I'd stick to what Ingar's saying, as I posted a pretty similar view in the General Forum a little while back. Do Olympic lifts, chins, and dips. Doing those kinds of exercises makes you much more powerful and (even better) explosive without bulking up or becoming muscle-bound. Considering that fighting's based on weight class, you can see how getting the most bang for your buck is useful.

Examples of Olympic lifts:
    Clean and Jerk, Snatch, Power Clean, Hang Snatch, etc.

11. skipdog

Jan 31, 2007
    Agreed, some lifts I do very fast with reps of 20-40. Tried heavy again for a few weeks. Felt stronger of course but slower and tighter. Could just be me though. If I can do 12-15 wide grip chins (palms out). Is it time to strap some weight on my waist? I just get mass very easy now.. Feel like it is not worth the strength gains to do low reps. 8-12 if terrible for a fighter for sure though.

12. Ingar

Jan 29, 2006
    Yeah, you probably do, so I took a shot at you. ;) Like I said, you annoyed me.
    Hypertrophy occurs to certain degrees even with the slightest microtrauma, not saying that 2-5 sets doesn't produce a large amount of it, you think only the neurons are affected just because you do 2-5 sets with 80-90% of 1RM instead of 8-12 with 50-60%? That is not the case.
    Simple example: don't powerlifters have large amounts of muscle (or even significant amounts in the lower weight classes)?

13. Ingar

Jan 29, 2006
    That's mostly just a bodybuilding myth (I lift 2 days on, 1 day off, BTW), based on a different method of training, which is split- and failuretraining. You'll see that weightlifters do different variations of the same exercises for several days in a row. The key is mostly not lifting to what is classified as "failure" in the bodybuilding world, which is just pumping out repetitions on a certain exercise till you can't do anymore, for almost every set.

Hehehe, what are your sources for this statement?
    They're not a very necessary movement in any athletes strength program, but saying that they are "bad for you" is pretty farfetched, huh?

14. skipdog

Jan 31, 2007
    Go do a bunch of bicep curls, then throw some hard jabs and tell me how you feel. Its a fact bro. Ya biceps helps lock your arm on a left hook or uppercuts but making them large will leave you ****ed...

15. Ingar

Jan 29, 2006
    Pyrros Dimas, three consecutive Olympic Gold medals. He was close to getting four, but he ended up with Bronze instead because of a barely failed attempt. He actually got a 15 min (that's right, 15) minute standing ovation from his home crowd after that. :yep

[yt]7sVts_5N52w[/yt]