Bonecrusher Smith vs George Foreman, Zaire, 1974

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by cross_trainer, May 6, 2022.

Who wins?

1. Foreman

94.4%
  2. Smith

5.6%
  1. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    I love how every thread about 70s Foreman turns into a pathetic circle jerk. If he was half as good as you all pretend he’d never have been utterly washed by Ali and he’d never have been humiliated by Jimmy ****ing Young of all people. Have you seen him on film? Have you actually sat down and seen how bad he looks on film against game fighters?

But no you’re all apologists who need to hold your weird mythology together with duct tape, totally incapable of even taking a single step out of your bubble and actually being open to really question something.

White Bomber and Pat M like this.
  2. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Buddy Baer was bigger, stronger, hit harder and took a better shot than Smith. Would you give him a better chance against Foreman?

Also, what boxing skills? Smith is extremely crude and basic fighter. Why don't you fance Max Baer over Foreman then? Baer wasn't smaller than George and he's better puncher with better chin and more athletic on top of that.

3. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    As opposed to James "Bonecrusher" Smith who looks amazing on the tape, right?

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  4. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    It was enough to prove you're full of crap and biased. You always have to preface your statement saying how much you "like" a fighter, then you proceed to bash them in every way conceivable and give them basically no credit for anything. It's a consistent pattern you've had for literal years.

I do not hesitate admitting I don't like a fighter or pretend to be unbiased.

5. Journeyman92

Sep 22, 2021
    Quick question, did you actually read the post? Could you spot the part I say a single word about Smith?

6. Glass City Cobra

Jan 6, 2017
    Translation: according to you, the only "game" fighters that actually tried to win were the guys who beat Foreman (all 2 of them!). I guess bums like Frazier, Norton, Chuvalo, Peralta, and Lyle weren't trying to win and had no heart.

By no means does it require overestimation of Foremans abilities to pick him over James ****ing Smith. :lol:

7. Pugilist_Spec

Pugilist_Spec Hands Of Stone Full Member

Aug 17, 2015
    He was competitive with Ali and the Young fight was almost a draw on my card. Have you seen these fights yourself? Because you are using terms Like washed and humiliated when that couldnt be further away from the truth.

Did George get knocked out by one Punch twice? Did he get 8-1d by B level fighter Buster Douglas before getting brutally KOd? Did he get battered from pillar to post by Corrie Sanders and Ross ****ing Purrity?

Nope. Even in his losses George looked a thousand Times better than the above mentioned ATGs in theirs.

And yes, Ive seen all of Foremans fights and I think he was a one of a Kind fighter who had all the physical strength and toughness he could have had, an underrated boxing brain and all the fury, courage and intensity in the World. So stop Being a ****ing twat and respect the man for his accomplishments. Douchebag.

8. Glass City Cobra

Jan 6, 2017
    Baer is an entire class of fighter above Smith based on his wins alone. He wasn't pretty to watch either, but he was more skilled of a fighter than Smith and that's saying a lot.

Did you notice almost every opponent of Tyson automatically becomes a h2h monster? Tucker, Douglas, Smith, Thomas, etc, while definitely "good" boxers, get rated higher than Mount Everest in h2h discussions when their records simply do not reflect that. I wonder if that's why this absurd thread has so much resistance from a vocal minority.

That, and people lose their minds whenever the subject is Foreman and have an irrational hatred for the guy.

70sFan865 likes this.
  9. Journeyman92

Sep 22, 2021
    Don’t try and pretend that’s what I said. It’s not clever and doesn’t have the effect you think it does.

10. Journeyman92

Sep 22, 2021
    I’ve seen the fights and I’ve got a thread to answer all your nonsense. I’m not doing this check my thread history and make do with it how you wish.

Edit: mean words lol

11. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    In most cases yes, but not always.

12. White Bomber

Mar 31, 2021
    Nobody give Buddy Baer a chance cause he ****ing sucks. He's just tall, that's all.
    His skillset is very poor. He lacks the ability to effectively use his height and reach to his advantage, plus he doesn't have good coordonation.
    Plus, given the advancements in nutrition and training, I'm willing to bet Smith was stronger.

Pat M likes this.
  13. Glass City Cobra

Jan 6, 2017
    "Have you seen how bad he looks on film against game fighters" that's exactly what you said. You say the same thing in every single Foreman thread with the typical narrative all his wins were tailor made for him and all his losses exposed him.

It's tiresome, unoriginal, baseless has been debunked numerous times, and you're not even the 20th person to say it.

swagdelfadeel and 70sFan865 like this.
  14. White Bomber

Mar 31, 2021
    Or he might KO Foreman, the way Lyle almost did. ;)

Pat M likes this.
  15. Glass City Cobra

Jan 6, 2017
    He couldn't KO the wide open 1 armed Ruddock.

I think Foreman could survive if Marvis Frazier could.

swagdelfadeel and 70sFan865 like this.