Boxers and Self Defense Qualities

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by HolDat, Sep 27, 2020.

1. HolDat

HolDat Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Which boxers in history do you think have a style that could easily translate over to self defense? Also, who would you personally study?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  2. WAR01

WAR01 In the 7.2% Full Member

Aug 19, 2019
    Go to a gym, you don’t get to pick and choose your stance when you’re getting taught how to box you don’t go in and say I wanna fight like X with X style!

Go spar go learn and that’s all you’ll need study comes after you have the fundamentals mastered, the foundation itself is enough to turn someone inside out in a street fight.

HolDat likes this.
  3. WAR01

WAR01 In the 7.2% Full Member

Aug 19, 2019
    BUT!
    To answer your question, Roberto Duran.

4. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    I mean boxing is a great sport, but it's fundementally incomplete. It's going to serve you a hell of a lot better than nothing, but if what you care about is self defence, you need to learn grapping, kicks and how to defend for them etc.

And more realisticly a lot of it is situational awareness, which isn't something you can really learn in a gym, and you'd need to prepare for stuff like knives and guns, which put you in a far more dire situation than a lot of self defence classes imply with a lot of silly techniques.

HolDat and George Crowcroft like this.
  5. HolDat

HolDat Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2020
    You guys are spot on. I've studied other martial arts and being able to take away some from each and combining them is pretty effective. I think Bruce Lee was ahead of his time explaining the need to become more complete to "flow like water".