Boxers never cease to amaze me with their idiotic training methods

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by CutThroatFade, Nov 14, 2017.

1. trinibbq

trinibbq New Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2017
    So which current or past heavyweight has crazy bone mass and bone density?
    Deontay Wilder is a lanky 6'7 220lbs dude. If he were 6'3(my height) his proportional equivalent would be like 180lbs, maybe 190. Foreman and Norton both looked to have thick wrists, Evander Holyfield not so much

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Could well be that, among other things. I think probably timing needs to be perfect too. When I've seen big explosive guys landing flush with full-body punches and mediocre opponents don't budge, maybe they just don't have the knack for perfectly timing the punch. It's not apparent but it could be that.
    Then you might see some freak skinny-fat guy who doesn't even lift come along and he's sparking the same opponents out with flappy technique. It's hard to tell what's going on.
    It's weird.

ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL, lifting more is only going to add power, but things are far from equal when comparing one individual to another.

In Jarrell Miller's case though, he's just a bit crap. I wouldn't ever expect him to do much against someone like Mariusz Wach anyway, so his excuses are of little interest.

Howitzer1888 and BCS8 like this.
  3. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    Golovkin I bet. Take a look at him standing next to Brook. Similar height and frame. Yet Brook looked chiselled, bulging with muscles. Golovkin had a footballer's physique, not overly muscular, not dry or that lean.

Yet they both weighed the same and one man's punches were totally devastating compared to the other's which had zero impact.

4. Kapparino

Kapparino EDDIE HEARN PROTECTION UNIT Full Member

Jul 12, 2015
    Every month for the last year I have been wearing and increasing a weight vest. Started at 10 pounds. Currently on a 110 pound vest. Whenever I take it off I move twice as fast.

Brixton Bomber and BCS8 like this.
  5. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    What do you think about the old martial arts training where they punched sand to solidify the bones in the hand? I know that Vovchanchyn did it in the old days but he blew his hands to smithereens anyway.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  6. yeyo monster

yeyo monster Boxing Addict Full Member

May 4, 2012
  7. Butch Coolidge

Butch Coolidge Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    meh, maybe that's code for him not being able to take PEDs.

Unforgiven likes this.
  8. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012

If you go on YouTube type in big boy takes body punches off world champion Mikey Garcia it should come up mate. On for 49 minutes I m sure. Think the stuff they we,re talking about was later in the video. But whole video probably worth a watch.

You a naturally big guy mate or bulked your way up. Was actually surprised the big Mexican hit as hard as he did. Seen loads of big guys that can't punch to save their life's. Mental how some can and others can't. Found it interesting what the guy was saying about doing the weights at speed instead of what a lot of weightlifters do go heavy but obviously cause its so heavy its usually slow work etc.

Rock0052 likes this.
  9. mafioso

mafioso Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 10, 2013
    i truly believe the fist itself is what makes a puncher...the shape,the size and hardness of the bones matters a lot!

Unforgiven likes this.
  10. Rock0052

Rock0052 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2006
    I share the same opinion as those lifters. There's a right and wrong way to use weights for boxing. Too many people get worried about the vanity lifts. In reality, most of the benefit comes from low rep, high explosive compound movements. They train multiple large muscle groups throughout the kinetic chain to work together faster, smoother, more efficiently, and more powerfully. That can translate to increased punching power provided they're integrated into the workouts properly.

Olympic weightlifters are a good template to use because their goal lines up with the boxer's: to maximize strength while dealing with a weight limit.

It's still not terribly common to see because those lifts are not easy to teach safely, and there's not much overlap between the two schools. A bigger name fighter could afford a great Olympic lifts coach, but by that point in time, many don't want to reinvent the wheel since whatever they were doing prior obviously had a positive effect.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  11. Boxingfan200

Boxingfan200 USYK #1 P4P banned Full Member

Feb 5, 2017
    he looked terrible.... hes so open to be hit its crazy.. hes lucky he had a slow as hell Viking in front of him... Joshua and wilder will tee off on mr miller... and parker would just punch his face for 12 rounds . miller is at the bottom of the top 10 at best...

12. Flamazide

Flamazide Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Jul 27, 2016
    No. The force of your punch, assuming you are throwing with proper technique to maximize the force of the punch, is pretty much determined by grip, mass, and speed. Bone density as well. A lot of boxers, even power punchers, don't lift weights that often. Bench press and overhead press will pretty much do **** all for that. You can do kettlebell exercises though which generally improves your grip which is a direct correlation.

Miller never had a lot of power to begin with but his problem in this fight was probably the earlier injury his mentioned and his lack of sparring.

Also, a lot of times when guys bulk up and increase their mass it cancels out because they lose around an equal amount of speed. You can actually observe this in other boxers if you go to gyms and watch the workouts they do. You're not going to see a lot of guys lifting heavy weights and if you do they likely aren't even the heaviest hitters. You can even look at the physique of some pros to get an idea of this.

It is also a completely different motion. There isn't a direct correlation there.

Unforgiven and AlwaysFirst like this.
  13. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    This. Miller just isn't that skilled.

Unforgiven likes this.
  14. AlwaysFirst

AlwaysFirst Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2015
    Not necessarily, it’s other exercises that’s way better than bench press, but in general, weightlifting have little to do with punching power.

Unforgiven likes this.
  15. AlwaysFirst

AlwaysFirst Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2015
    I fought both, boxing is more challenging