Boxers never cease to amaze me with their idiotic training methods

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by CutThroatFade, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Those lifts certainly won't much help a boxer who can't punch good to start with.
    In moderation they can add something to a boxer who can already punch.

People will call me a dinosaur for saying it but ..... Hitting the heavy bag regularly with serious intent is still the best exercise to develop and maintain punching power.

It's the SPECIFICITY principle. You get better at punching by punching things.

2. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    So you’re saying if Sugar Ray Robinson had lifted weights, he could have been really good?

cross_trainer and Nonito Smoak like this.
  3. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    Again we'll have to agree to disagree here. Look at the jab and straight hand. If I was training a boxer one of the key resistance exercise I'd have them do is paused bench press and paused overhead press, also incorporating resistance bands. Also paused floor press. If you build a boxer's explosive pressing strength and put, say, 50lbs on their max, of course their jab and straight hand is going to be stronger, faster and more explosive.

Kell Brook is a good example, when he started doing more weight training and underwent his dramatic physique transformation he claimed that his bench increased to 140kg which is believable looking at him. And the. This guy proceeded to floor someone with a jab in one of his next fights (IIRC it was Senchenko).

Same with squats, 100% doing explosive squat training would be ideal for a boxer like Haye who explodes inside from range.

The thread kinda got derailed with this discussion but the main point I was making is that Miller is totally ******ed for eradicating weight training from his training for Wach and is almost certainly the reason why he felt he had no pop in the ring on Saturday night.

4. CutThroatFade

May 25, 2015
    I don't disagree with this but educated resistance training has its part in training for boxing and as someone who partakes in both I know for a fact that it can aid punching power.

Of course technique and factors like bone mass and density will be the principal factors.

Unforgiven likes this.
  5. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Full Member

May 18, 2013
    Any thread with "Miller" and "training method" can't really be taken seriously.

6. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    You're perhaps giving Miller too much credit.
    There's no evidence he ever had the punch to do much with a Mariusz Wach.
    He felt he had no pop because he's a big slow limited skilled lump and in with an immense and durable opponent of similar level.

Imagining Miller's training habits I reckon dropping weight lifting would be the least of his worries.

He was right about one thing: He needs to be lighter.
    He needs to be 245 pounds or less and develop some skills.

He looks like an old school nightclub bouncer not a serious heavyweight boxer.

Rock0052, Brixton Bomber and Sugar 88 like this.
  7. Sugar 88

Sugar 88 The Empire Struck Back Full Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Well he can't swim for fear of being harpooned.

8. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    Tyson Fury v Jarrell Miller
    Cardiff Stadium
    "The Heavyweight Championship of Whales"

9. Sugar 88

Sugar 88 The Empire Struck Back Full Member

Feb 4, 2012
    The heaviestweight championship of the world.

cross_trainer, Rock0052, BCS8 and 2 others like this.
  10. iii

iii Boxing Addict Full Member

May 3, 2016
    Weights for mass is no good at all for punching power ie speed, someone metioned bench presses etc, OK but you need to build the legs, more so the calves for speed etc. Forearms ,often overlooked & in particular the obliques, this will give you power & speed .
    Then just as important you need to practice reflex for speed. Anyone who has trained Karate will know what I mean, in particular, kyokushinkai, we used to stand cigarettes on the end of tinfoil paper & snatch it away & leave the cigarette standing then 2 & so on, do this with regular training & you have power ,speed & mobility & yes deep heavy squat will give you endurance.

BCS8 likes this.
  11. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    The bench press and overhead press have as much resemblance to punching as cheesecake.

12. Giacomino

Giacomino Member Full Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Not really. Punching power is about technique, speed, co-ordination and timing. All of these are much, much more important than lifting weights for increasing punching power.

Mr.DagoWop likes this.
  13. CutThroatFade

May 25, 2015
    You basically regurgitated exactly what I said and worded it differently. Never have I said strength training is the most important factor. But you are borderline ******ed if you can't see that an increase in explosive pressing strength will lead to an increase in power and explosiveness with jabs and straights. It's a very similar motion utilising the same muscles.

Has anyone here who boxes actually been in a situation where you've put 50lbs+ on your presses? Because I have and I can tell you decisively that your punch harder.

14. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    No not at all. Bench Pressing and Overhead pressing are nothing like punching. First off the force from a bench press and overhead press is vertical. Punching is horizontal. Next, power is generated from the shoulder drive and hips. Bp and ohp don't incorporate any of this. Third, bp and ohp are pushing movements. Punching is snapping movement. You won't knock anyone out ever with a push punch.

steve21 and Giacomino like this.
  15. Giacomino

Giacomino Member Full Member

Oct 15, 2016
    It isn't a similar motion at all - unless you're throwing mainly arm punches. Which, I suspect, is the case.