boxers pay

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by srb31079, Dec 19, 2007.

1. srb31079

srb31079 themarvelmarv Full Member

Oct 29, 2007
    I've just read that Carl Johanneson will earn a career best £30k for his upcoming fight against Kevin Mitchell. First off I can't wait for the fight, a great start to the year. But him earning £30k pissed me off.

Why? Footballers salaries. Now I know they have overheads like everyone else but it has been well documented that Liverpool's John Arne Riise earns £55k after tax etc. I'm using him because his payslip got nicked and it's proof that footballers earn too much money. So on the week average he will earn in 4 days what takes Johanneson three to four months earn.

Now I know this is a rant but I'm pissed off. I'm a football fan like a lot of you but the money they earn is astronomical and for what. Half of them are meant to set an example to kids an don't. There seems to be very little discipline, they seem to think they're above the law and they get worshipped like gods.

Yes, boxing has it's share of bad people but overall I think it's a more honest sport where discipline is taught at an early age and you know that when you go in that ring you're fighting for your livelihood and this might be your last chance. Footballers can have a bad week and not take opponents seriously and still come out of it smelling of roses.

It's very easy these days to be an average footballer and earn well and buy the latest Cadillac.
    An average boxer is getting in the ring to get beaten to put food on the table and pay the bills for a few months.

Rant over

Adios

:fire

2. Jimbo

Jimbo Super Sharp Shooter Full Member

Dec 1, 2005
    True but lower league footballers don't earn that much money and even Premier League footy players don't earn the sort of money Hatton does.

3. The Lads

The Lads Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Anfield - 50,000 people a week to watch the team

Doncaster leisure centre - 3000 (odd) people to watch Johanneson Gomez, once in 4 months.

Simple maths, really.

Also, without disrespecting Johanneson, youve just picked out a premiership player and a third division boxer.

The best article I read on ti was on BBN where a young boxer only got a % of ticket sales, no flat fee, so the more tickets he sold the bigger his purse. If he didnt sell any he didnt get paid. It was insightful - was it terry or tom? I cant remember.

4. srb31079

Oct 29, 2007

The thing is pal there are at least 20-30 premiership players that are not worthy of a place in a league two team.

5. srb31079

Oct 29, 2007
    True, but how long has it taken Hatton to get to that level of pay?

An 18-year old kid can be spotted by the scouts in Sunday League footy and then 12 months later he's earning £50k a week (about £2.5m a year)

Only a handful of boxers make the big bucks, especially in the UK. But a swarm of average footballers can earn the big bucks quicker than I can throw an uppercut!

6. The Lads

Oct 22, 2007
    Football is a business though, clubs pay for the top players to stay at the top. Do they deserve to earn 100k per week, no. Are they an integral part of the business that a 100k per week outlay can be justified on, yes.

If you had an aeroplane that earnt you 1m per week, would you justify spending 100k a week on the engine?

7. srb31079

Oct 29, 2007

Fair enough but there are only a handful that are integral the rest are lightweight passengers.

Boxers take the biggest gamble of all. You just need to look at Mclellan and Watson.

8. The Lads

Oct 22, 2007
    Supply and demand isnt it. Unfortuanatly boxing isnt what it was attendance wise, and thus our fighters cant demand the pay footballers can. I appreciate the risk involved in boxing, but unfortuanatly in this case risk has little to do with reward. Im sure statistically there are more dangerous sports than boxing that receive less pay.

9. faisal

faisal Hoolios daddy Full Member

Feb 24, 2007
    why does football in england get so much attention? the england football team are some of the biggest scum in the sport, they are payed millions of pounds yet they continue to dissapoint against mediocre teams.

10. Smith

Smith Monzon-like Full Member

Mar 8, 2007
    You don't have a valid argument. If boxing was as big as football in the UK then you would have a case, but, the sad fact is it isn't. Theres not enough fans too compete with football, ever.

Its two completely different ball games also.

11. The Lads

Oct 22, 2007
    That was the one, thought it was either you or tom who penned it.

12. Jimbo

Dec 1, 2005
    Boxing isn't a ball game.

13. Jimbo

Dec 1, 2005
    More people like football than boxing, it's the national sport and nearly everyone has played footy at some point in there life whereas the same isn't true of boxing.

14. Smith

Smith Monzon-like Full Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Very clever smart guy, take a bow.:-(

15. Jimbo

Dec 1, 2005
    :lol: :good (no bow emoticon)