Boxers turning pro with no/little amateur bouts

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by high tower, Aug 23, 2019.

1. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    Oh no not again !

Twentyman likes this.
  2. Hattonmad

Hattonmad Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I misread your first post. You said the HW division is the most dangerous division. Fair enough.

Mate, silver belts and interim belts are not notable achievements. They're nothing. We already have four bloody world title's. You're either a champion or a contender, end of story. I've not seen many people say Whyte is irrelevant. He's a contender as said, nothing more, nothing less. He will lose soon if he fights Wilder or Fury.

3. DJN16

DJN16 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    It was a proper success story in the end. He won his titles in his 30s but was poor before. Not sure if it was his early loss to Margarito or the 1st Williams fight where he made very little for a fight of that stature.

fenoc1 likes this.
  4. fenoc1

fenoc1 Active Member Full Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Think I heard he got like 50k for the Margarito fight. Pittens. Cashed out with the Cotton fight was delighted for him, seemed a nice guy too

DJN16 likes this.
  5. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Less than 3 years into his pro career Martinez left Argentina to fight for the first time and was basically fed to Margarito........for $900. 900 dollars to get beaten up by Margarito in Vegas. I love his story, Maravilla is a really good watch for anyone interested in his life. Martinez defied the odds and corruption to become a World Champion and retire with enough money in the bank to enjoy the rest of his life.

DJN16 and 305th like this.
  6. Hattonmad

Hattonmad Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 5, 2009
    He was brilliant, wasn't he. A natural boxer. Looked as though he was boxing from the age of five. The fights with Paul Williams were epic. Pity he was in such bad physical health for Cotto. I really enjoyed his run at the top.

DJN16 and EJC83 like this.
  7. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Yeah he was absolutely fantastic to watch, I think he's underrated too, for me the Cotto fight doesn't count as his body was absolutely shot to pieces by then, as we saw. I find his story so inspiring, I'll have to mention my main man again but fighters like Martinez and Calzaghe did things they probably shouldn't have been able to do through sheer determination and heart.