Boxers who would have done well v. kickboxers or MMA fighters

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by FighterInTheWind, May 2, 2020.

1. Charlietf

Charlietf Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2020
    Honestly i think that briggs would be crappy as kick boxer, he was not a great thing as boxer much less would be as kick boxer where you need even more cardio because you use the kicks

2. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    I wouldn't have advised him to kick at all. Just learn to check them and explode on his opponents from the opening round. It worked well enough for Bob Sapp, and he makes Briggs look like Antonio Margarito in the stamina stakes.

3. Charlietf

Feb 25, 2020
    But bob sapp was terrible, a total joke between real k1 and mma fighters. Even the strongman mariuz ****ed him up.
    And mariuz wad not a very good mma fighter at all

This content is protected

FighterInTheWind likes this.
  4. FighterInTheWind

FighterInTheWind Member Full Member

Mar 27, 2019
    Yes, that's why I explicitly said that boxers who were accomplished martial artists should be excluded! ;) Also, many Japanese fighters and Korean fighters have at least some martial arts background as well - and quite a few were arguably more accomplished outside boxing (e.g. Jiro Watanabe).

5. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    James J Jeffries
    Paul Berlenbach

robert ungurean likes this.
  6. FighterInTheWind

Mar 27, 2019
    Yes, I agree that a boxer would be clueless if taken down. So my question was more boxer v. karateka/kickboxer - and the MMA bit was more as an add-on.

Precisely my argument.

This is a bit of a misunderstanding. There are some "traditional" martial arts schools who still go full contact and have regimens as brutal as Muay Thai. A representative example is kyokushin karate; and Mas Oyama and his students did compete against Muay Thai fighters in Thailand and defeat them at their game. Taekwondo is panned as "touch fighting" these days, and perhaps justifiably; but when I was growing up in Korea, we did full contact with no protective equipment, and I bet there are schools at least in Korea that continue to do so. Also, TKD competitions still allow full power kicks to the head - albeit you do have body armor to cushion body kicks.

7. FighterInTheWind

Mar 27, 2019
    He did. A bit of a context though. He beat two elite kickboxers in Peter Aerts and Jerome Le Banner, but both were injury stoppages that did not occur from damage from Botha. In Aerts' case, he broke his leg very early, so I cannot really credit this win. In Le Banner's case, Botha did land quite a bit and had Le Banner in deep trouble. But Le Banner was carrying an arm injury into the match, and this limited his ability to throw lefts. More germane, if you watch the fight, Le Banner dominates for most of it, and he got a bit of lazy due to early dominance, and his ego got him into a "boxing match" after he got tagged real hard. This was obviously stupid, but I can empathize, as the same thing has happened to me before. I sparred an amateur boxer once, and I was having an easy time frankly. But he landed a pretty big cross once, and this made me lose my mind and try to get him back with wild swings, rather than maintaining my distance and kicking. It didn't go well... ;)

8. FighterInTheWind

Mar 27, 2019
    Bob Sapp's exploits in MMA does demonstrate why size and raw power should be still respected though. While his overall career was embarrassing, he did have some notable wins and some losses where he showed up. For someone with virtually no combat training to knock out perhaps the greatest kickboxer ever with a haymaker is something noteworthy.

This is a whole separate topic, but I always tell my friends and students that the claim that "size doesn't matter" is a myth that will get them killed.

9. FighterInTheWind

Mar 27, 2019
    When Le Banner was primarily kicking and only sprinkling in punches as a "change-up," he dominated Botha. He got in trouble only when ego or survival instinct got him to engage Botha in a boxing match after Botha cracked him with a right cross. Le Banner was also carrying an arm injury. So best on best, I think Le Banner beats Botha 8 or 9 times out of 10. Aerts fight proves nothing as Aerts broke his leg early.

But Botha did show he can at least compete against elite kickboxers. So it wouldn't be outlandish to say a prime Tyson or a prime Lennox would do better against Le Banner and possibly beat him clean. So in a sense, he did open my eyes.

10. Charlietf

Feb 25, 2020
    but it is an exception, it is not the universal concept of karate or taekwondo. Normally people who practice karate do not seek brutality because they would have it training kick boxing or muay thai IN ANY GYM. So as a general rule a Thai boxer is a fighter much better prepared physically , mentally and adapted for real contact

FighterInTheWind likes this.
  11. FighterInTheWind

Mar 27, 2019
    I wouldn't disagree "as a general rule." But we can't sweep all exceptions under the rug either! ;)

Charlietf likes this.
  12. Charlietf

Feb 25, 2020
    Yeah but i could say also that some guys never trained anything and they are tough street fighters.. Exceptions not the general rule

13. FighterInTheWind

Mar 27, 2019
    Not really apples and oranges, I am afraid. The fundamental problem is that McDojo" phenomenon in the West has given the traditional martial arts a very bad reputation, and some in the West view it purely through this lens. Yet martial arts practiced in the U.S. or in other Western countries v. in East Asia are radically different. There are enough of hardcore schools left in East Asia for it not be a "once in a blue moon" phenomenon but a significant minority phenomenon. Also, you seem to lump together those martial arts that have no combat component or practice at all (for instance, taichi) and those that still have full contact sparring, albeit in a watered down form now, such as TKD. But even TKD - which is frequently made fun of these days - retains the full contact sparring. Every WTF-affiliated TKD school has full contact sparring as its centerpiece, as I said. This is likely the majority of TKD schools, probably even in the West. And while you do have body guard, it is full contact, and I've seen people break their ribs on a side kick through the body guard - in addition to obviously getting seriously messed up on head kicks. But if your biases are such that all traditional martial arts teach "touch fighting," and none of its students can fight, then I can't help you.

14. FighterInTheWind

Mar 27, 2019
    Addendum:

Sorry if I come off as a bit short-tempered and even condescending there. But this is a topic I've rehashed many times with other people, and I get rather tired of it arguing against people with minimal real martial arts experience (I do not mean to imply you are among them).

15. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Dempsey first and foremost
    Rubin Carter
    Fitz
    Paul Berlinbach ( olympic wrestling background)
    Beterbiev ( all the Dagestan fighters grew up wrestling)