Boxers you thought would never lose till they did.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Coco, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Coco

Coco Member Full Member

Jan 9, 2016
    Of course nearly every boxer loses at some point. But who are the boxers that you saw and thought they wouldn't lose as they kept winning?

2. emallini

emallini Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Roy Jones Jr

fistfighter and MURK20 like this.
  3. Mr Icaman

Mr Icaman 32-0 WBC Champ, Ring + Lineal HW Champ Full Member

Aug 31, 2015
  4. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Muhammad Ali - leading up to the first Ken Norton fight he had really cleaned out the division, which was Joe Frazier's job. That Norton fight caught me off guard.

Victor Galindez - on a roll of 43 straight without a loss until the inevitable happened when the old scartissue just broke apart at the hands of Mike Rossman.

Rodolfo Gonzalez - only lost once in his last 26 fights - and that on a cut in a knock-down-drag-out affair with the great Antonio Cervantes in a fight that Gonzalez was ahead on points - when he succumbed at the end of the career to Suzuki.

Antonio Cervantes - likewise, stunned when he lost to Benitez in his 11th defense. He hadn't lost in 5 years and was coming off wins over his two top challengers in Thompson and Dejesus.

Maybe it was just fandom with me, but when they lost I was stunned.

5. blackhercules

blackhercules Active Member banned Full Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Cute most peple think Ali lost to Doug Jones earlier on in his career. He almost got knocked out by Cooper. Most people thought he would lose to Liston. So apparently you are naive when it comes to boxing if you thought Ali would never lose when he struggled to win fights even earlier on in his career.

6. blackhercules

Nov 13, 2016
    The best answer for any modern fighter would be Mike Tyson and George Foreman. Both seemed unstoppable up into they lost and both lost to people that most people thought they would destroy and they should of destroyed if they didn't get so cocky and arrogant and fell for their own hype.

7. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Really? I picked Ali to knock out Foreman. You may be a bit naïve when it comes to boxing.

rski likes this.
  8. kingfisher3

kingfisher3 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 9, 2011
    for a good few years I assumed wlad would get out without taking another loss. not because he was unbeatable just the way the division was.

9. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Active Member Full Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Many... in fact if those unbeaten fighter keep fighting on, soon or later they'd lose.

There are way so factor that would make any ATG lose. Whether its preparation or physical condition during a particular fight , or lucky punch etc etc.

If Chavez retired after 75 fights , then he has much longer unbeaten streak than Rocky and Mayweather. You could say the same about Camacho who's first defeat came after almost 40 fights. That just a few example.

I actually thought Lewis would never lose (at least for long long time )after he destroyed Ruddock in devastating fashion, and then he was stopped by Mccall just like that not long after.

10. blackhercules

Nov 13, 2016
    Right then you realize you didn't and you are clearly a liar. Because even Ali admitted he didn't think he would win. You are naive in life. Keep lying to yourself, well you have no friends so you can't really lie to anybody else.

11. blackhercules

Nov 13, 2016
    So because Lewis knocked out Razor a guy who got knocked out by David Jaco for crying out loud you thought he would never lose? Rocky Marciano lost to Roland LaStarza and Ted Lowry so only Marciano idiotic fans thought he was unbeatable. Mayweather got beat by Castillo in their first fight so nobody thought he was unbeatable either.

You could say if anybody retired before they lost they would of retired undefeated. Chavez fought so many tomato cans so that is why he had a impressive record. I always thought Pernell Whitaker could beat him even before they fought.

12. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Donald Curry at welter comes to mind.
    Howard Davis was another guy that I thought would stay undefeated for awhile.
    Remember Abdullaev? I thought that guy was going to have one heck of a winning streak.
    Brian Neilsen was another guy I thought would continue to get the W's because of his level of competition and fighting in his backyard all the time. I thought the guy might hit 60 or 65 wins in a row the way they were digging up opponents for him.
    Camacho at 130 was another guy I thought was going to be very difficult to beat.

13. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Probably in my life time top of the list is tyson. Could see him going on for years even with evender knocking on the door. Prince naz is another one even when he was pit against mab

14. rski

rski Well-Known Member Full Member

May 12, 2013
    Fighters in my generation that had that aura to me before they lost were mike tyson, naseem hamad, chris Eubank, lennox lewis, roy jones. Most of thier fights they won quite dominantly so it gives that image, and the ones they didn't you kind of knew they would find a way as were in a diffent class. Take Lewis bruno where lennox looked pretty average, i kind of knew he wasn't going to lose throughout that fight. Eubank and named seemed too arrogant to lose, it help give of that aura so you cant imagine it, all tricks of the mind of course and worked well on opponents.

15. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Another one that springs to mind is Nigel Benn. Even with his fight against logan where he was second s from defeat, when he went in against Watson the general opinion was that Benn was going to win this one and go marching on

jarama likes this.