Boxing and brain damage

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by amateurBox, May 3, 2023.

1. alpo1

alpo1 #TeamShanny Full Member

Dec 10, 2005
    If you're not trying to be come a fighter, I'd stick to body sparring. Or light mma/muay thai sparring as the head punches are less due to the varied attacks.

cross_trainer likes this.
  2. kdyehs

kdyehs Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2015
    In 2023 we all know these guys are gladiators. Science proves boxing is dangerous. Boxing is not for recreative purpose. It takes only one punch to send you to the hospital and give you depression/bipolarity problems for the rest of your life. I know a guy who got hit like that but that did not prevent him from finishing school and become a millionaire entrepreneur. He is just a lil fuk'd up, but IQ and success were imo unaffected.

cross_trainer and Toney F*** U like this.
  3. mirexxa

mirexxa Heavyweight Champ Full Member

Jan 21, 2022
    You're gonna get punched just deal with it

Toney F*** U likes this.
  4. Rollin

Rollin Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 17, 2021
    Eventually it will catch up with you—be it migraines or more severe consequences.

I recommend thinking of it like this: as long as you box, your mind and body ought to be treated with utmost respect.

a) No sugar. Naught. Sugar is a brain killer and you want nothing to do with it.
    b) Dedicated diet, obviously. Nuts, fish, and other food for brain.
    c) Read a lot. Engage your mind a lot. Think about picking up languages and make it a habit.
    d) Meditation, mindfulness and the likes are a good habit because self-control and composed way of being benefit you all around. Serotonin good.

There are boxers who lived long and intellectually healthy lives. I reckon alcohol, cocaine, and suboptimal lifestyle did more damage to many fighters than boxing which actually enforces great discipline.

Also, spar in a smart way. Cuban touch sparring is a good sparring—you can train majority of crucial elements except reacting to strong pressure and harder slugs. That's what hard spars are for.

Toney F*** U, Mike_b and mirexxa like this.
  5. mirexxa

mirexxa Heavyweight Champ Full Member

Jan 21, 2022
    This
    I had stamina issues my whole life. No matter how hard i trained i couldn't get past a barrier. Then i saw Dr.Berg's youtube video that said Sugar makes it hard for your body to deliver oxygen in the muscles. Since i quit eating sugar i immediately noticed a difference. It was very hard for my body to recover from intense exercise with all the sugar i was eating like chocolate, juices and all the stupid ****. Now i'm ready to go again after a couple minutes of rest.

As far as sugar damaging the brain, i wouldn't dispute that claim. Sugar really is a poison that should be avoided

Rollin likes this.
  6. MAD_PIGE0N

MAD_PIGE0N ... banned Full Member

Sep 3, 2022
    Not even a team of doctors can predict will you suffer some significant damage because of the martial art (whether MMA or boxing). Nobody can predict what punishment will you take, how much and how often and how susceptible are you to consequences. Practice wisely, use protection equipment and aim for sparring partners that are cool, not the regular idiots who don't care to protect their mates.

Good rest, proper food, exercising your brain might be helpful, but to what extent no one can tell just because the brain damage, caused by hits is irreversible. Sure, don't abuse sugar, but don't run from it like devil from incense - it's fine under moderate doses, ones we lost idea what they are. Also, some people are more tolerant to. And the biggest problem with the sugar is not the sugar you eat because you want sweet, but the sugar that is put everywhere else in the food.

Mike_b and mirexxa like this.
  7. Mr305worldwide

Mr305worldwide New Member Full Member

May 6, 2023
    If you're going to spar, find yourself a suitable sparring partner. Lay out what's allowed and not. Lay out that you want to go soft on the face and harder on the body. Youre looking to score POINTS, not hurt the opponent or get yourself hurt in the process. This is the time for you to figure out what you need to work on, without getting hurt, and going too easy.

Its not until you fight professionally that you can't discuss this with the opponent(going easy on you). And when you go pro, that's when you need to have all the skills honed already.

And yes, getting punched in the head will make you lose IQ points. That's why you need to be superior about your defense.

Last edited: May 6, 2023
  8. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    Of course there’s risk no matter what, but if you’re just doing it as a hobby and aren’t planning on competing, then chances are you’ll be fine. Any decent gym will understand and do their best to tone down the sessions. Also see how your head feels. If you’re feeling even a little buzzy after a session then take the safe route and have a week or two off. You have plenty of control over your well being if you’re not competing. If you’re still concerned then eat a healthy diet that benefits the brain, keep your mind sharp, get plenty of sleep, and absolutely no drugs or alcohol. I’m competing so I regularly spar hard and join the smokers at my gym so pray for me lol.

NoChin and Mike_b like this.
  9. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    1) Talk to a doctor. There aren't many of them in this forum.

2) I am not a doctor.

3) Doctors seem to overwhelmingly agree that boxing is bad for brain health, to the point where many medical associations believe it should be banned: https://www.wma.net/policies-post/wma-statement-on-boxing/

4) But as I said, talk to a real doctor. They will tell you the risks.

Saintpat and Mike_b like this.
  10. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    There’s an old saying; you don’t PLAY boxing. (That would go for MMA as well.)

You spar, you’re taking a risk. One punch could change your life for the worst. Or sustained low-contact sparring could have long-term effects. Or you could come out of it all seemingly fine … and down the road you start to deteriorate rapidly from brain damage. There’s no way to mitigate that risk, really, other than avoiding it entirely.

I do a boxing workout a few days a week (started back in October, have dropped about 40 pounds from that, road work, diet and some light weight lifting with calisthenics). I’ve had that itch to spar again but thought about it and … no way. Too much possible downside to satisfy an impulse. Even if I suffered no brain injury (short- or long-term), I could wreck a lot of expensive dental work I’ve had done (even with a mouthpiece) or get a detached retina, etc. No thank you — I’ve done that in my earlier days so I got to experience it. Good enough for me. Nothing to prove to myself or anyone else.

To me there’s no reason to spar unless you’re planning to fight. If you’re planning to really do this — actually fight — sparring is necessary. Like I said, you don’t play boxing.

11. Marvelous_Iron

Marvelous_Iron Active Member Full Member

Jul 9, 2022
    people have been damaged from pillow fights they had as a kid

12. bobbobbington

bobbobbington New Member Full Member

Oct 13, 2021
    I am not a neurologist so this is based on casual observation not hard science, but a issue seems to be that different individuals will react very differently to similar level of head trauma. Two guys will take a simliar level of trauma over the years and one will have no obvious issues (this is not say it will not have a more subtle effect) the other will barely be able to talk and walk. Bit like two 20 a day smokers, one dies of lung cancer in their 40s the other lives until 95. Problem is until you take the punishment there is no way of knowing were you are on the spectum. The issue is less how trauma will effect in the short-term (grades etc) than the potential for medium to long term issues. Its a personal choice if your comfortable with the risk go for it but I had two grandparents with dementia. Whether I box or not this disease is a possibility for me going forward but I my fear would be that boxing increases the risk that develop issues in my 50/60s rather than 70/80s.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2023
    Mike_b and jauseptt like this.
  13. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    You're participating in a sport where you get punched in the head hundreds maybe even thousands of times per year.

It's simple - if you're worried about brain damage, you're in the wrong sport.

Toney F*** U likes this.
  14. TheBigCannoli

TheBigCannoli New Member banned Full Member

Aug 27, 2023
    He’s leaking fluid from his ear.

This content is protected

Turn down his transmitters.
    From years of doing this he’s been programmed a certain way.
    Once he’s broken of this habit. You can now remove the meds.

This content is protected

How did this come about?
    I was involved in a lot of street violence that was drug related.