Boxing Books

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by krb, Jul 13, 2017.

1. krb

krb Active Member Full Member

Nov 25, 2014
    was a similar thread on this forum a few years ago with some great suggestions. Just seen a post about the Gomez book which I'll now get and read so thought worth getting ideas for other good reads.

I'll start:
    Journeymen by Mark Turley. From 2015 but only just got round to reading. Would definitely recommend, great insight into the lives and motivations of the journeymen we all see at the small hall shows.

This Bloody Mary is the last thing I own by Jonathan Rendall. Been out for years, probably came from a recommendation on here. If not read it would def recommend

2. Matt Petley

Matt Petley Active Member Full Member

May 19, 2017
    thanks for the recommendation, ill check it out

3. BigR

BigR New Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Thomas Hauser's books are great. The Black Lights is amazing.

4. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    I
    Ive heard real good things about the journeyman book, i will get round to it one day.
    The last one i read was Tysons book, and the one before that was four kings my daughter got me it as a present. Four kings is the story of hagler, hearns, SRL and Duran and how there paths crossed.
    Its a well known book in boxing circles but it is worth reading as is Tysons

5. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    Can anyone give a review on Creepy Adam Smith's "Beautiful Brutality"? Have been tempted to buy that.

6. Clarkey

Clarkey New Member Full Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Jonny Nelson's book is a good read, just finished it recently

7. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Frochs and hayes are half decent reads. Four kings the one mentioned above is quality as is gomez,s. Best book i ve read hands down tho was thomas hausers book on muhammad ali...his life and times. Couldnt put it down. Ricky hatton and the vegas tales ones are both worth reading as is tysons. Nigel benns half decent. Heard jimmy tibbs,s books good also.

Liverpool82 likes this.
  8. Farmboxer

Farmboxer VIP Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    There needs to be a good book on boxing rules as the rules are not longer followed anymore, at least SOB, Roc Nation and a few, such as the Nevada Boxing Commission who only enforce boxing rules for fighters who do not belong to them. The boxing commission, judges and referee do what they are told and it's time fans know about it, most do suspect it.

9. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Was just about to suggest that, excellent book.

Black and White Donald McRae is superb too. Not just about Joe Louis though, it also features Jesse Owens heavily.

10. krb

Nov 25, 2014
    I found it average. Like a series of articles but without any real revelations rather than a book

CutThroatFade likes this.
  11. krb

Nov 25, 2014
    Really like Black Lights

War, Baby by Kevin Mitchell is also good. Benn McClellan one my top fights apart from the outcome, that book puts a different perspective on it

12. Silent_Service

Silent_Service Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Adam smiths "beautiful brutality" is good, but if I remember rightly it's quite Ricky Hatton heavy ..

Personally found Jamie Moore "Mooresy" a brilliant read, completed that in two sittings!

There's talk of a Martin Murray book being out soon (he'll have a story to tell)

Woodhouse book "Box to Box" is meant to be good, I'm getting that shortly from a pal whose raving about it.

CutThroatFade likes this.
  13. Silent_Service

Silent_Service Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Forgot one.... Jonny Tapia's book....

Now that book is something else! Crikey!

krb likes this.
  14. zulander

zulander Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2006
    4 kings is great,

hands of stone is good,

Hatton i wasn't so keen on

Joe Calzaghes is pretty good - and you realise why is hands were so bad!

15. Jake Speed

Jake Speed New Member Full Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Yes, The Black Lights is a good one to mention. These are obvious picks but I would recommend The Road to Nowhere, Mcllvanney on Boxing, The Fight, and Ghosts of Manila.

Ones that were better than I expected include the Teddy Atlas autobiography (which has some fascinating passages in particular about his time training Michael Moorer), The Larry Holmes book Against the Odds (which is quite funny and honest), and the Ray Mancini memoir The Good Son. The two books that Jose Torres wrote (some believe they were ghost-written by Norman Mailer) about Ali (Sting Like a Bee) and Fire & Fear (about Mike Tyson) are both very entertaining and worth buying if you can track them down.

krb likes this.