Boxing Books

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Maxmomer, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Maxmomer

Maxmomer Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 28, 2007
    I'm expanding my collection of boxing books. Now, don't laugh, take into consideration that I have no job and have only really been into boxing for about a year. Here's what I got so far...

A Flame of Pure Fire by Roger Kahn
    Dempsey by Jack Dempsey
    Jack Dempsey: The Manassa Mauler by Randy Roberts
    Jack Dempsey by Nat Fleischer
    Muhammad Ali: The Unseen Archives by William Strathmore
    Max Schmeling: An Autobiography by Max Schmeling
    In This Corner by Peter Heller
    Dynamite Gloves: The Fighting Lives of Boxing's Big Punchers by John Jarret

And currently, that's it. Dynamite Gloves was a good read, providing a good account of some great fighter's careers with quotes and anecdotes and such. It was a good resource to get the basic info on some fighters I didn't know much about. I've not read all of In This Corner yet, but it's a fantastic collection of interviews with all kinds of fighters. Gunboat Smith's chapter was very interesting, quite a character he was. Muhammad Ali: The Unseen Archives has pages and pages of great photos. So far Jack Dempsey: The Manassa Mauler and Max Schmeling: An Autobiography are both good, but I'm only a couple dozen pages into either. As far as Dempsey bio's go, I enjoyed Fleischer's the most.

Next on the agenda are; The Ageless Warrior: The Life of Boxing Legend Archie Moore, Hands of Stone: The Life and Legend of Roberto Duran and Sam Langford: Boxing's Greatest Uncrowned Champion.

Any comments of suggestions? I'm trying to balance my book buying budget between my two primary interests; werewolves and boxing (actually werewolves and boxing are tied with knives and movies as my four primary interests, there just aren't any good books about knives and movies) So only half of my set budget set aside for books per year can go to ones on boxing. Actually, that's all bull****, there is no budget, I just buy what I feel like reading. It just happens to work out that half the books I buy are about boxing and the other half about werewolves. Man, you ever think of how cool it'd be if werewolves were real, and, like, had boxing matches? Cause I do. A lot.

2. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    A bio on Carlos Monzon is WAY overdue, IMO. I'm amazed that there hasn't been one out already. I'm really surprised that some Latin writer, especially Argentine hasn't done it already. I wonder why?

3. Bigcat

Bigcat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 10, 2006
    The Black Lights is a great read... Its all about the period when Billy Costello was a young star on the Ny boxing scene, Jones and Rappaport were making waves with Gerry Cooney.. The Resto and Collins fight was breaking news and Panama Lewis was BIGNEWS.. DKP was the place to be and NY was the boxing capitol of the globe.. It takes on the inside where the boxing underworld dare not even travel... Very informative book for its day.. All based in and around 80's NY.... Victor Valle, Carl Williams, Eddie Gregg , James Broad .. all get big mentions.........

4. flamengo

flamengo Coool as a Cucumber. Full Member

Aug 4, 2008
    maxmomer, take a step back in time also...
    The Fighting Blacksmith, by Gilbert Odd
    The Great Fight, by Allan Lloyd
    Prize Fighting, by John Ford
    A History of Boxing in Britain, by Frank Butler
    Captain of the Push, by Kenneth Roberts

I simply offer these suggestions, as the further back into the history of the game you venture, the higher the appreciation of it you will gain. Any book authored by Nat Fleischer will be at the highest level of research and knowledge. As you are budgeting, I suggest any reproductions of Boxiana, Pugilistica or 'The Prize Ring', by Bohun Lynch. I have no idea what number of books I have read over the years, although several standouts I recommend would be ....

The Tragedy of Randolph Turpin, by Jack Birtley
    Raging Bull..
    Somebody up their Likes Me.... full of very interesting anecdotes.
    A Man Must Fight, by Gene Tunney.

5. Pete47

Pete47 Member Full Member

Mar 3, 2007
    A very good Dempsey-Biography is "Dempsey By The Man Himself" (New York 1960).

6. redrooster

redrooster Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 29, 2005
    I'm actually looking forward to Sorcery at Caesars which I'm purchasing this week. It's about time a book came out devoted to this very controversial topic that deeply affected my life. Thank God someone had the brains to figure out what the public wants more of and the author seems to be very credible.

7. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005

The Rooster comes clean

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

8. Bigcat

Bigcat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 10, 2006
    LOve the Snipes v Holmes Avatar.. its one of my favorite moments in Boxing, Snipes was heavyweight champ for about 7 seconds.... unreal..

9. SorceryatCaesar

SorceryatCaesar Leonard-Hagler author Full Member

Aug 3, 2008
    thanks redrooster. hope you like it - and when you're done i hope you let this board know what you think.

can you share a bit why the leonard-hagler bout affected you so deeply?

10. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004

........Oh, the landmine you just stepped on.......:lol:

11. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    I have my favorites listed on the general Boxing forum.

12. Senya13

Senya13 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 11, 2005
    You forgot to put a smile after above sentence, so that everyone understand it is a joke.

13. flamengo

Aug 4, 2008
    Ha ha ha, thanks for the insight Senya13... I actually enjoy any book written by Nat, as he was the quite the influencial charactor, regardless of his own personal adoration for a few select greats, he was, in my opinion, writing predominantly for the betterment of the reader.

14. Senya13

Senya13 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 11, 2005
    He provides easy reading (except for his editor's column in The Ring, IMHO), but as for research, his books are rather poor, unfortunately.

15. flamengo

Aug 4, 2008
    'easy reading' does not necessarily mean incorrect in detail, or ficticious. Its my humble opinion, and I look forward to further squabbles or learning experiences with you, regarding more intrigueing topics. Cheers Senya.