Boxing is a Business, We Fans Tend To Lose Sight Of That.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by CST80, Sep 6, 2014.

1. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior VIP Member Full Member

Apr 19, 2010
    as for fighting may he is the last for the for see able future of the dominating brand in boxing they have , so there fore they hype the sh it out of his fights = money ie- biggest pay day , where as with rigo he defected to Ireland for a while and then went to america.

awnser this if rigo was american do you think it would still be not that big a star

2. Bustajay

Bustajay Feel the Steel/Balls Deep Full Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Wow....I stand corrected and may I point out not the first time :lol:
    My friend has a podcast and he tells me 60 percent of the listeners are from the UK....I just took for granted that the way they, UK, brag about sky sport or some channel that is was very large over there so maybe not bro:roll:

Thanks
    :smoke

3. seansanashee

seansanashee Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Boxing is supposed to be a sport. WWE is a business.

4. big moose

big moose Active Member Full Member

May 16, 2010
    Bit of a logic fallacy there - just because a high proportion of his listeners are from the UK doesn't mean that there are that many of them.

Sky Sports entire programming output is based around football. The boxing coverage is incredibly sporadic - limited to perhaps 10 big "events" a year with a weekly one hour review / hype show during peak season called "Ringside" (compare that to a "niche" sport like F1 motor racing which has a entire dedicated Sky Sports channel).

Eddie Hearn (who provides all of Sky's boxing) essentially treats boxing as a private passion. It's bankrolled by the money the darts brings in. Yes, darts: fat people throwing tiny arrows - hugely successful Hearn promoted darts tournaments. Big live crowds, big TV viewing figures - people just love to get drunk and cheer for a favourite en masse - or watch on telly other people getting drunk and rowdy! Listen to UK podcasts (say, boxing asylum's "nuthouse") and you will hear complaints about the "darts crowds" the Hearns are now bringing into boxing - people who turn up, make a noise, get drunk, and give a good atmosphere on the TV coverage - but they come for the social aspect and barely take note of the actual fights.

5. purephase

purephase Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2011
    It's perfectly fine for Arum to want to open a new market, but it's worth pointing that he's already trying to put boxing behind a paywall there as well, thereby closing the sport off at the same time. And I would also note that boxing's current waning popularity in the US, the very thing that's prompted this diplomatic opening of a market, is very much connected to King and Arum leading the march to PPV and emphasizing short-term profits above all else.

The likelihood of Quillin making anywhere near as much as the Korobov purse bid is slim to say the least.

Actually Rigondeaux did get a new contract in 2012 from Top Rank when his style was already very well known. Arum then spent the next two years whining about that style and the guarantee which he knowingly and voluntarily agreed to. Bang up job of promoting right there.

Please list other sports where a team can refuse to participate on the basis of business or entertainment reasons alone.

6. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
  7. icarus1

icarus1 Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    of course it's a business and the players are prize fighters. in business, the costumer is always right. the fans who pays then should get the fights they want and not the businessmen and players dictating and fixing fights.

8. KO KIDD

KO KIDD Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 5, 2009
    I like the points even if in some cases just so blatant and crudely put

Boxers care about their place and want to be seen as great and want to achieve but money first and foremost is first

Fighters who get the ducker,cherry picker, coward label may themselves want the risky fights but the promotional teams may say no

I mean to me it seems more so now than ever before more roadblocks are thrown up blocking fights than welcome mats

I think Kovalev vs Hopkins was the greatest fight this yr simply because two guys who were not required to meet did. They had different promoters and managers and different tv deals and they cut the **** and made it happen

Fights like this need to be applauded but the truth is it doesnt happen enough

With all these different promoters floating around and TV networks being so important and powerful so many great possibilities wont happen

Now if there werent 4 titles maybe it would force more dangerous fights due to less titles there to grab easy and milk

I mean think of the weak link belt holder in 3 weights in a row. Then take a guy whose good and not elite and does just what he has to to grab 3 of the easiest belts in 3 weights

Broner got a vacant belt vs a nobody a guy who wasnt even ranked in the top 5 of the WBO...How does a vacancy battle not include two guys in the top 2?3?4? I just hate it when the belt orgs dont even follow their own rules

Broner beat a washed up Malinaggi with no power to win the weak link belt at 147:rofl

Though Broner did beat Demarco the top guy at 135 but then again how special is Demarco

All this said my post isnt to degrade only Broner but point out just how easy they have made it to be champ and with the right moves a guy can grab many belts and never fight the real threats out there while hiding behind promoters and TV deals

9. TheGOAT

TheGOAT The Champ is Here ! banned

Oct 20, 2010
    nobody is gonna read that

10. KO KIDD

Oct 5, 2009
    you must have breezed some of it :huh:nut

11. TheGOAT

TheGOAT The Champ is Here ! banned

Oct 20, 2010
    :lol:i did:patsch

im just playin man, you got some good points. I was just on the lookout for ALTS and ran across yer post.

BTW - :hi:KO KIDD...:hi:Bye now KO KIDD:thumbsup

12. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    I read it:yep And I agree with you, especially the point about BHop and Sergey, by far best match of the year as far as anticipation, suspense and significance.

13. KO KIDD

Oct 5, 2009

I think you hit it on the head with Ward

I can't quite figure out his logic he's basically pushed himself to obscurity

Does anyone remember what '09 '10 was like with Pac vs Floyd

It was like a republican vs democrat debate where the fan boys would jump on the guy they hated called him a ducker cherry picker coward who negotiates his victories

But when their man did it "oh he's just a smart business man or look at his p4p or his ppv he is just doing the smart thing"

The hypocrisy was nuts

14. DSG496

DSG496 Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 23, 2014
    I'd agree with this to an extent, I think the people who used to stand on terraces at the football etc who are priced out / disenfranchised with the sterile atmospheres of premiership grounds have been attracted to darts, and to a lesser extent boxing. Think the Josh Warrington shows in Leeds are a good example, where a boxer (admittedly a decent one) without a fan friendly style ie few knock outs is getting 5000 + on weeknights to see him fight.

15. Salty Dog

Salty Dog i got the guts, but the guts need fuel Full Member

Sep 5, 2008
    yeah ... a business that often loses sight of who pays the bills: the fans