Boxing Myths That Need to Die ASAP

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by SquaredCircle, Mar 24, 2021.

1. AlwaysFirst

AlwaysFirst Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2015
    If they fought a version of themselves that was bigger and heavier with longer reach they would lose every time. So yes, it is still true.

I understand what you’re trying to say, that smaller guys can still win over bigger guys, it is true that they can, they are just better, but if 2 equal fighters fight, the bigger will win 10/10, that’s why they have weight classes for an example.

Ph33rknot likes this.
  2. heerko koois

heerko koois Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 26, 2006
    That clay ko,D Liston in round 1....

Toney F*** U likes this.
  3. sasto

sasto Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 5, 2020
    I don't run into it online often but out in the world there seems to be a school of thought that entirely discounts body punching.

mark ant, HolDat and DonnyMo like this.
  4. ShovelHook

ShovelHook Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    Sounds like that's something heard from someone who's never taken a good body shot. I'd be happy to educate them on the pain it causes. Even thinking about it can make you wince, it's so much worse than any head shot has hurt me.

5. SquaredCircle

SquaredCircle Active Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Came close to taking a knee as an amateur after being hit by a straight right hand to the solar plexus. I remember it well - feinted me with the jab up top and came back down with that straight right. Most helpless physical feeling I've ever experienced.

6. timeout

timeout Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Myth that glass jaws dont exits.

Ph33rknot likes this.
  7. Col Mortimer

Col Mortimer The question isn't indiscreet.The answer could be Full Member

Jul 25, 2010
    When it's said " that punch would have knocked out a Horse" - examlple is Pov Vs Whyte. It obviously wouldn't

When Whyte claimed after " I've only watched the video of my KO once"...possibly true, he defo didn't see it when it happened....

When a fighter misses a shot: "He's missing by a mile"

" People won't leave Tony Bellew alone "

yaca you likes this.
  8. DonnyMo

DonnyMo Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2011
    "You have to BEAT the champ to BE the champ" is the way it used to be and the way it should be still.

Quality matchups (which we rarely, rarely ever get anymore) are supposed to be tight affairs. Champs should get the benefit of the doubt in rounds. To knockoff the champ you can leave no doubt. It works because the current would have won the title in the same fashion from the previous titleholder.

It all means jack now in the era of (at least) 4 world champions. But in the old days of one true "Champion of the World" it was important.

Whatever judge scored the fight for Lara over Clenelo will be the one I always remember.

It feels like 65% of judges have some understanding that body punches shall not be scored (only headshots) because body punching is merely a means to opening up the head. Women judges should entirely be outlawed.

Salty Dog likes this.
  9. Surrix

Surrix Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Normally. Yeah, and even if you are not down or stopped, the same ribs too might remember for long time. If they are not broken or fractured too.
    Liver punches or kicks too are very effective.
    While solar plexus punches or kicks might achieve even breath stoppage. Liver punches or kicks might achieve KO.
    Lower ribs happens to be broken in amateur fights. Not often but happens. In pro fights too.

Proper solar plexus punch is very difficult to land and sneak in but if this had landed.
    There effect might be even till guy on all four down and count might be done even till 20 or sometimes till 30 or more.
    It is very effective punch. If landed. More comfortably to land is with bare hand.

10. Surrix

Sep 16, 2020
    uppercuts are not tested vs horses. Butchers uses tools and equipment to deal with them.

Col Mortimer likes this.
  11. ElCyclon

ElCyclon Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 2, 2012
    The third one is not really a myth but simply a question that unfortunately will never be answered.

HolDat likes this.
  12. ertwin

ertwin Active Member Full Member

Aug 2, 2016

No. Usyk and ali dont have that.

13. Stiches Yarn

Stiches Yarn Active Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2021
    The myth that Ali ducked Foreman and refused to give him rematch...

MarkusFlorez99 likes this.
  14. Surrix

Sep 16, 2020
    It is not proven. Nor that this was myth nor that this was reality.
    Ali was under Don King.
    Boxer is only one part in big game.
    If ducked, that might be reality, still there is big question who had ducked: King or Ali.
    Boxers does have teams, managers, promoters. Venues, events does have promoters.

Fights on cards are approved by fight event's promoter. Not by boxers.
    The big myth is that these are approved by boxers.

Next big myth that event's promoters are ultimate kings.

Biggest impact in boxing does have mass media cos broadcasting rights price and tickets sales.
    Mass media managers ask: show me fight card.
    Tickets buyers are lurking: fights in offered fight night.

HolDat likes this.
  15. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Definitely. They taught us a lot of kicks to the body when I went to kickboxing, and they're just as lethal. I think people who don't have much experience practicing or following boxing underestimate body punching. I can think of a few stories where guys who hadn't any experience of taking them from people who know how to throw them get a severe reality check.

One is Eddie Mustafa Muhammed when he was a middleweight amateur in the early 70s. He'd been boxing a while, as I recall, but had never faced anybody a tenth as talented as his sparring partner that day. Emile Griffith went easy on him at first, like he did with most sparring partners but after Eddie showed what he was made of by landing a few good punches, Emile snapped out of it... with an uppercut to the solar plexus. Eddie went down and when he got back up he spat his mouthpiece out and said "I'm gonna get you back for that but first, you've gotta teach me how to do that".

Another one is Sylvester Stallone in the filming of one of the Rocky movies. He was filming with Earnie Shavers, who I think was either offered a leading role or was in for a cameo during a training session. Basically, they were filming a scripted sparring session for the film (I can't remember which, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find out on Google), and Stallone said to Ernie that he felt his punches looked too fake. He said "c'mon, gimme something real". After being denied a few times, Stallone insisted and Shavers obliged. He hit him with a left hook to the body and Stallone was down for ages. Shavers was sent home and wouldn't be coming back.

Campbell Hatton was sparring with his old man when Campbell was about 14. He tried out something he'd been taught that day, and so didn't know what to expect. Ricky instinctively stepped out of range of the combo, rolled under the follow up and hit Campbell with a real, proper body shot. Campbell hit the floor in agony and Ricky said "****, don't tell your mum!"

On one of my first times going kickboxing, there were drills on kicking to the body. I was partnered with another kid who was a bit bigger than me and had been doing it for about two years - this was like my second lesson. I don't remember much because I was like seven, but I do remember getting kicked so hard across the ribs that I was knocked over and was very badly winded.

I remember on my first week at my third high school, I had a proper prison cliché run-in with some kid who thought he was billy big bollocks. He kept pushing me and pushing me after he learned I'd done boxing, and he decides it'd be funny to basically just attack me to see how I'd respond. I remember slipping a jab, jabbing back, rolling under a wild swing, and throwing a proper hard left hook to his ribs and another to his liver. Safe to say, he went home with a very sore right side.

sasto and TipNom like this.