Boxing Stance: Wide vs Narrow? Squared vs Bladed?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by mark ant, Feb 2, 2021.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
  2. Pakkuman

Pakkuman I'm not hot. I'm just BIG. banned Full Member

Jun 26, 2019
    Legs spread wide open.

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  3. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Now that's what i call casual lol

sasto likes this.
  4. sasto

sasto Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 5, 2020
    Quality appears to be a product of how well your stance, technique, and strategy match together with your physical and mental strengths.

Wilder would get nowhere with a high guard and narrow stance trying to apply quick pressure, Tyson would get nowhere with Wilder's stance.

captain hook and Salty Dog like this.
  5. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Wilder`s a casual.

6. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    With all that twerking im not surprised

mark ant likes this.
  7. Rafaman

Rafaman Active Member Full Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Whatever works is the answer. You should stand according to what enables you to throw the hardest punches yet remaining relaxed. Height, center of gravity and boxing style will determine how a fighter stands. Boxing is full of guys who break the traditional mold and still reach the highest peaks of the sport.
    I know the internet is full of technique critiques and discussions of perfect form but in reality there is no simple one stance. You mention Wilder (you would never teach anyway to box that way but he punches super hard and understands exactly his range and what he is as a fighter). There are no points for being pretty, hurt the other guy and earn your respect in the ring, regardless of how you look and where you place your feet. As long as you are not continually off balance what does it matter. Look at Ricardo Mayorga, fights like an octopus with its head down, he was a world champion. Naseem Hamed is another, he would leap at opponents and swap from southpaw to orthodox stance mid combination with very wide feet. These are all boxing sins according to traditional coaching but the results speak for themselves. I once had a coach who told me "being special doesn't make you great, the greats make it look special".

mpg likes this.
  8. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Barrera took advantage of Naz`s lack of fundamentals, his style could only take him so far.

9. James Ash

James Ash New Member Full Member

Jul 31, 2021
    A wide stance doesnt give more power, smooth transition of bodyweight to the opposite foot gives power.
    I think Joe Louis' stance and style are exceptional
    This content is protected

greynotsoold and mark ant like this.
  10. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Louis had great balance

mark ant likes this.
  11. Furey

Oct 18, 2009
    Hmmmm...... it also didn't really help that Naz was living like a party boy, had left Ingle and his hands were blown to bits

12. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Louis`s balance was far better than Naseem`s.

13. Furey

Oct 18, 2009
    Where have I said it wasn't ?

mark ant likes this.
  14. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Still, it does make me wonder. If it takes a boxer of Barrera's quality to take advantage of those flaws (after Hamed had already won the title and flattened plenty of opponents) it does suggest that technical perfection might be overrated. At least for someone of Hamed's talents.

There's also the question of whether Hamed could have gotten as far -- or beaten Barrera -- if Hamed had insisted on being orthodox. There's no way to say that fixing those technical flaws and making Hamed normal would have won him the fight.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    mpg and Kamikaze like this.