Boxing timers and other bits

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Johnboy2007, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Johnboy2007

Johnboy2007 Boxing Addict Full Member

May 21, 2007
    Hi all, gunna start doing some homeworkouts based on the begginers routine above (maybe not exactly tho was thinking of changing it slightly to fit round work and stuff), anyways i need some sort of personal timer for rounds and rest periods preferably with a reasonably loud buzzer. How much am i looking at and any links would be great, the only one iv seen that is suitable is the everlast one but iv read some people say they dont work properly!? ANy advice welcome lads. Also might as well post this in here too any other small bits of equipment that come in handy? its pay day soon lol. Finally any glove recomendations for a begginer on a heavy bag? I really dont know what gloves would be best for training on the heavy bag, iv got some bag mitts but iv nearly broke my wrist twice ( probably 50% bad gloves and %50 technique lol). Cheers guys.

2. Ziggy936

Ziggy936 ESB Newblood Full Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Get some good heavy bag gloves, and makes sure you use handwraps to wrap up you hands well.

3. RockOn33

RockOn33 Member Full Member

Nov 23, 2005
    i got this idea from someone else on the forum a few months ago:

for a timer, get a cheap voice recorder... record a loud noise when ever u want a round to start or end... a lot cheaper then a professional timer

4. Johnboy2007

May 21, 2007
    Iv got a heavy bag iv got **** training mitts and everlast gel inner glove things which i dont like and im gunna learn how to wrap my hands asap. So just need better gloves with good wrist support really hurt my wrist twice. Good idea bout the time mate too i just thought last night too ytou could do cds and stop recordin them at 2 mins say and then start recordin after 1 min break for begginer and maybe do an advanced cd when im ready, but also anybody who knows of a proper timer thats not to pricy but decent let us know. Any other bits before i start seriously im working out a proper work out this weekend

5. Dennis

Dennis Gym Rat Full Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Just curious..why don't you like the Everlast Gel glove things? I was thinking of buying them sometime that's why I wanna know...

6. Johnboy2007

May 21, 2007
    I dont think there completely terrible but i think as a beginner you should have alot of wrist support because like me most begginers will have weak wrists and bad technique iv really damaged mine twice now. Secondly im not that impressed with the quality the stitching is crap to be honest. I think theyd be fine for serious long time boxers with strong wrists. And 3rd as well as a begginer and if im serious about boxing i should be making the effort to learn to wrap my hands the tried tested and still the best way as far as i know (some one with more experience / usage may have more to add so feel free to discuss , just dont forget bout my original questions lol cheers guys).

Ps i saw an advert the other day with amir khan using them and he looks like hes wraped up the wrist part with bandages over the top of the gel gloves. Maybe that would do the trik. Also another thing lmao is my gloves are really cheap and **** which wouldnt help.

7. Dennis

Dennis Gym Rat Full Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll stick to wraps. My wrists are used to boxing now, I don't have any trouble with that anymore (I did in the beginning though)..but I really like the feel of wrist support. Somehow it makes me feel stronger.:D

As for your original question..would these links help you?

http://store.everlastboxing.com/everlast-personal-boxing-timer.html

http://store.everlastboxing.com/everlastboxing-professional-gym-timer.html

Another thing..if you really have problems with your wrists and you can afford the extra cash for gloves, maybe you should try these Grants..they've got an extra long cuff for additional wrist support.

http://www.ringside.com/detail.aspx?ID=25855

8. Johnboy2007

May 21, 2007
    Whats youre experience with those timers dennis , cos iv read that some people didnt rate them and that some didnt work properly tho i like the look of them and would deffo buy them if some people on here say there good , there a good price and say they do the job i want just want to know weather they do actually do the job lol. Those gloves look ace too but i think i could do with velcro ones rather than lace ups just for training on the heavy bag , well i think thats what they are anyways. As i said and you can probably tell lol complete begginer here lol:yep

9. Relentless

Relentless VIP Member banned

Mar 5, 2006
    get the gymboss timer

10. Johnboy2007

May 21, 2007
    Yeh iv looked at them look alrite for the price , have you used them yourself i take it? The look similar to the everlast ones