Boxing vs MMA in a fight Who Would Win? Best Explanation

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by Colpolite, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Colpolite

Colpolite Guest

People had been saying this and saying that but here is the best explanation of it.

In a boxing ring under Queensberry rules, the boxer wins every single time (unless the Jiu Jitsu fighter is also a boxer).

Under Jiu Jitsu match rules, the Jiu Jitsu artist will win every time too (unless the boxer is also a Jiu Jitsu artist).

Its like asking who will win, a tennis player or a badminton player? The answer is, whose rules and whose game?

Outside the usual venues, the question gets harder...

If they are going to fight in another venue (MMA) they now need to become MMA fighters, as neither of their training will prepare them adequately for mixed match rules. The Jiu Jitsu artist must now study striking, and the boxer must study wrestling, and they both must study MMA rules.

The one who does the most preparation and training to become the best MMA artist wins every time.

Now, in a rule-free environment, the question is impossible.....

If it is a street fight, they both lose badly, as the police arrest them for behaving like idiots.

If there are no police to arrest them, and other hooligans don't intervene and beat them both up for being such losers, then the one who is the dirtiest would win, as there are no rules on the street, no referees, and anything goes. The one who strikes first with a weapon wins. If the jiu jitsu artist wacks the boxer over the head with an iron bar, he wins. If the boxer bites the jiu jitsu artist in the groin, he wins.

But even then, they still both lose, as their sporting self discipline would kick in and they would avoid the street fight in the first place.

Anyone who is really skilled will avoid a real fight at all costs.

And, if you are asking who would win in a hypothetical rules-free environment with no weapons, it is still hard to say.

Outside the ring, challenging a boxer to a fight is a risky business. He has the best physical conditioning, and without any gloves on, he will be faster and hit unbelievably hard. He might break his hand, but he only needs one shot to do a lot of damage.

The same is true of a Jiu Jitsu artist. If he is allowed to employ his skills, he will have an immediate advantage too.

With two trained individuals of equal skill, strength and size, and determination, the one who is allowed to use his techniques first will usually win.

There have been some historical matches where grapplers and boxers have fought, and it has always been inconclusive because of the rules.

There are always rules. Lots of them. There has to be to protect the fighters and to protect the organizers against lawsuits.

A classic example is "Judo" Gene Lebell versus boxer Milo Savage. Watch the match on video. Gene wins with a choke. But, you can see in the video that Gene has his hands full even against this older, smaller, and retired boxer. The boxer is far too strong for even a master Judo expert to instantly pin, throw or choke as many might believe.

The important thing to notice is the gloves. Gene is wearing none, so he has full mobility. However, the rules stated that Savage had to wear his big puffy mitts.

Can you guess why Lebell did not want to be hit bare knuckle? If the boxer was allowed to fight glove free, he could grab and hold properly. A couple of bare-knuckle punches from a retired pro boxer, even a smaller one, might have gotten Gene's attention, and his dentist too.

A boxer might win against a grappler if he attacks quickly with knockout punches or stays at a distance and uses a jab.

A grappler might win against a boxer if he can get him off his feet quickly.

Other posts have stated that the jiu jitsu artist will always win, and there is a sentiment that a grappler will always win against a pure striker.

That is certainly true in a venue that favors wrestling, such as UFC (started by the Gracies, who created the venue and rules, and....surprise....won).. However, even in the octagon, the jiu jitsu advantage has been eclipsed by wrestlers who have cross trained in boxing ("ground and pound").

The rules and venue dictate the training and skills. In lieu of rules, the individuals and host of variables to numerous to calculate with any certainty determine th outcome.

One is the quality of the boxer. No prime professional boxer has ever fought in UFC. Why would they? They would take a massive pay cut.

Dempsey destroyed the wrestler who challenged him. On the other hand, Andre the Giant threw Wepner over the top rope like he was a child. Inoki crab walked the whole match with Ali to avoid getting hit. Former boxer Butterbean fights in MMA with some good results, but was hardly a class boxer.

A messy business figuring the truth here.

The Romans had the right idea. Keep boxers and wrestlers separate because they are two different sports altogether.

Anyway, who would I bet on myself?

I would pick the tennis player. They can be really mean.

Cheers!

2. ontheup

ontheup Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 9, 2010
    I cannot be arsed to explain why but a top MMA guy on the street absolutely destroys a top boxer on the street. There is only one way a boxer can really win and that is to land the first punch and i mean a very good first punch, after that it is a take down by the MMA fighter and the boxer gets either tapped out or he blacks out, simple as that.

3. unloco

unloco Boxing Addict banned

Oct 11, 2009
    please , thats nonsense , so ur saying in a street fight bjj has a shot come on now dude , what are you gonna go strait to the gaurd , are you gonna try a take down , have you ever been in a street fight dude ? a street fight is over as fast as it starts , the boxer would throw the first (combo)yes i said combo not the pathetic mma 1-2 , no dude a jab ,righthand, left hook, and uppercut , yes you can do more than one puch at a time yes it is possible , boxing is fliud in its combos , unlike the robotic predictable **** mma produces , your boy would be ko'd real quick , also *** in a street fight there are no rules if u take me down i will eyegouge crush your jugular or bite , ya i said it , i do box , and i have street fought your mma **** is flawed , you state it will be a choke out or sub on the ground , lol try it dude when a dude grabs ur balls and crushes them , yes dude there are no rules in a street .. your thoughts are flawed

if you doubt me get into a real fight , its not pretty and its not fair

boxing will end your fight quickly and in devastating fashion

4. Beebs

Beebs Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 21, 2007
    The Romans did not keep boxers and wrestlers seperate, see Pankration.

I agree with most of what you say, but no rules, no weapons, no third party, the edge is hugely, hugely in favor of the MMA fighter.

BCS8 and DougTheThug like this.
  5. Beebs

Beebs Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 21, 2007
    You act like BJJ fighters don't know how to fight dirty. The difference is they also have actual skills there.

I have taken someone down in a street fight, headbutted them, and choked them.

6. unloco

unloco Boxing Addict banned

Oct 11, 2009
    well that works too , im just pent up frustrated right now , after this toney coture debacle , every one of my mma friends is going off on how boxing is done and doesnt have a chance against mma , thats bull**** i stated my opinion and personal fight expiriences , now what you say has merit as well some of my bjj friends fight well but they fight dirty as well , thats my point street fights are dirty things there are no rules , but i respect your position as well , just frustrated with all the boxing hate

7. nip102

nip102 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 13, 2009
    last street fight i saw ended with a guy being hit over the head with a bottle then stamped on.don't be a twat and fight in the street, they are sports

8. jitano

jitano New Member Full Member

Dec 8, 2007
    A top MMA guy against a top Boxer. The boxer will win most of the time. There is no way a good boxer will allow a MMA guy to take him down without taking serious damage. Jujitsu or wrestling stuff does not work when you can use your teeth, elbows, fingers, head-butts, knees, legs. Obviously the MMA guy can also use these weapons; however, a top boxer is more used to taking punishment and should have the faster hands and accuracy when hitting. Jujitsu and wrestling don't compare favorably to the striking of the elbows and hands. Now, if you have a top boxer that will only use boxing striking against a MMa practitioner, then the mma guy will win most of the time.

9. timmyjames

timmyjames PTurd curb stomper Full Member

Nov 14, 2009
    i havn't been in many fights, but i have been in a few

the last one ended in the guy missing his punch as i took him down with a double...and proceeded to mount and pound him...i was nice though and gave him a chance to chill the F out, which he finally did after every time he tried to hit me from the bottom i smacked his head into the ground

i am not saying on is better, but the point is, a boxer is very good at punching, but if they cannot punch, they are in trouble

10. ontheup

Mar 9, 2010

When a mma guy is in total control of of a fighter do you not think they can also bite, eye gouge and so on. Boxers would not stand a chance against mma fighters on the street.

11. ontheup

Mar 9, 2010
    :rofl you are a **** and no next to **** all. MMA guys can also do the eye gouging and grabbing the balls whilst choking the life out of you, You twat.

12. Son of Gaul

Son of Gaul Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Good post.Grappling is totally impractical in a street fight. Boxing gives you the best opportunity to end the fight quickly with minimal space.

13. Real fights are unpredictable, grappling leaves you totally susceptible to outside attackers. 1 on 1 though, if you want to look like a puta (atleast where i live) you can win a fight by wrestling but real men dont wrestle on the ground in the street.

14. ontheup

Mar 9, 2010
    At the end of the day these are just our own opinions, no one can ever really no unless you got the best boxers and best mma guys on the street and let then get it on.

15. Koa

Koa Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 24, 2004
    no rules, bjj fighters are probably some of the nastiest opponents to face. In MMA, there are rules against small joint manipulation, something bjj is really pretty deep into.. You mess with someone into bjj as self defense, you wind up with your fingers broken and maimed if you aren't careful.