Boxing vs MMA in the UK

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by alpo1, Mar 18, 2023.

1. alpo1

alpo1 #TeamShanny Full Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Anyone else get the vibe that since Leon won the belt, MMA has taken over boxing in popularity?

They sold out the o2 in minutes, whereas AJ is struggling big time with sales for his next fight.

They're giving blockbuster events multiple times a month, compared to boxing where it's all got annoying the past 6 months (it's been distasteful since the connor benn debacle).

The only thing that is curbing participation in MMA is that the pay is still crap in comparison to boxing, due to UFC's monopoly. If you compare matchroom to ufc, matchroom makes around £60 mil a year turnover, whereas UFC makes $1 bil+ but still short changes the fighters.

Mike_S likes this.
  2. fruitandnutcase

fruitandnutcase Member Full Member

Feb 12, 2022
    Maybe. I think there's a generational split. I know a lot of people who're in their 20s who love UFC and outright refuse to watch boxing as they say it's fixed. But I also know a lot of people over 40 who think UFC and all cagefighting is a bit sh1t

Sure the O2 was sold out quicker for Leon's fight than AJ, but 50k+ mugs went to watch Fury fight Delboy

And don't forget there's A LOT of smaller shows put on across the country

imo boxing is still bigger over here, but it is basically bankrolled by hardcore fans, regional supporters and tribalism

Oh and just to mention the elephant in the room, the UFC's fighter pay is perfect. If fighters were getting paid boxing money, they would fight less often and be far more picky about their fights. Good luck keeping the UFC's current activity and high-quality shows going if you're paying everyone top 5 1M+ a fight and every else 100k-1M a fight

3. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    As fruitandnutcase says MMA can put on multiple big events multiple times per month because the top fighters don’t get paid excessive amounts of money.

They have one regulatory body that calls the shots. Boxing is its own worst enemy. If the top fighters were paid less, they would fight more often.

4. porkypara

porkypara Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The AJ fight is a bit of a comeback event whereas the UFC involves titles fights in 50/50 fights

5. Cookiedough

Cookiedough Active Member Full Member

Feb 18, 2020
    I don’t think it’s a bad thing that the MMA has one main outlet. Sky had the same with the boxing many years ago. From a fans point of view, there are too many outlets these days. Unless you have a bottomless pit of money, you miss out on fights. Boxing suffers in the end as being on rival networks can scupper great matches being made.

6. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    I don't think the reason UFC sold out at those prices had anything to do with Leon Edwards, it's just the global brand is very popular. They always sell out despite putting on awful cards. MMA is a long way off getting near to boxing popularity in the UK it's still at leisure centre level.

Astro likes this.
  7. KermitTheFrog

KermitTheFrog The people doing the banning are idiots Full Member

Sep 5, 2012
    There’s usually only one UFC London event each year (if that) so by the time it comes around there’s a lot of pent up demand.

8. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Boxing is still very much the number one combat sport both here in the UK and globally.

Gregor1987 likes this.
  9. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 25, 2015
    One of the main reasons why the UFC pay is so low because MMA is still a low level sport full of of low level athletes. So if they don't like it, they can be easily replaced. This is what the UFC thrives on as part of their business model. It's world apart from other sports that produce elite, unique talents like Mayweather, Messi, Lebron James etc who hold all the cards when it comes to any kind of negotiations.

EJC83 likes this.
  10. Astro

Astro Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2021
    The UFC attracts people in the commercially attractive age group between 15 and 49, while boxing's primary target group is men over 50. It is sad but unfortunately a reality.

11. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    I watch MMA in the same way that I watched cartoons as a kid. Knees to the face, that's just messed up, especially when after that and they lay unconscious the first thing on the guy's mind is to jump on him and pound his head wildly until pulled off by the ref. Now tell me that's a sport.

12. SeanB1

SeanB1 Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Sep 8, 2022
    I will watch MMA if it's HW or a Brit but I don't find it enjoyable. I know it's massively skilled and hard I just probably don't appreciate the art to it

Bob Flaps and Astro like this.
  13. Astro

Astro Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2021
    I feel exactly the same way :)

SeanB1 likes this.
  14. Gregor1987

Gregor1987 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Both in the UK and globally boxing is still way bigger.

15. Bob Flaps

Bob Flaps Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 30, 2019
    I saw another post further down about generational differences, just going to stop here and say that at nearly 50, I had zero idea who "Leon" was until this post. No interest in MMA and only see names if they appear regularly high up the BBC Sport home page.

Just browsed the BBC and noticed "Rocky Edwards" and had to click through to Leon hence I didn't recognise the name... but didn't read any further. MMA's just not for me and never will be. Anecdotally, younger people at work watch MMA before boxing but take an interest in both.