Boxing vs MMA in the UK

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by alpo1, Mar 18, 2023.

1. hobby rider

hobby rider Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 4, 2020
    A wild pounding before watching someone getting pulled off by the ref is my favourite part of the events, especially if Arianny Celeste is involved.

2. Bob Flaps

Bob Flaps Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 30, 2019
    The latter point, 100%.

SeanB1 likes this.
  3. Shawn michaels

Shawn michaels Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2022
    Given the choice between a ufc card and a boxing card its the ufc every time. No pointless mismatches, top contenders all fighting each other, no long gaps between fights filled with **** talk. Your average boxing card now is sleep inducing.

Pezee and KermitTheFrog like this.
  4. alpo1

alpo1 #TeamShanny Full Member

Dec 10, 2005
    I see what you guys are saying. Boxing has a 100+ year head start, but MMA style gyms are getting packed nowadays, more than boxing ones. The advantage the sport has is that average joes can go to war every session in grappling sparring, whereas in boxing it's either a CTEfest or body sparring/touch sparring.

The trend is that MMA is on the up. But like I said, the only curbing factor right now is the % of revenue going to the fighters is too little to attract true elite level athletes from the 1st world countries.

5. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Loads of my mates are into MMA and I get the excitement that can come with it but for me I still find boxing, with it's limitations on what you can do, better to watch and a more admirable craft when done well. MMA looks too wild for me, punches, kicks, elbows, knees, grapples, throws, it's just a bit too nuts. From an entertainment point of view I can see why people might prefer MMA and be drawn to it but last nght we saw Pattinson and Jenkins battle out a cracker and that's the kind of thing I like to see over the madness that goes on in the cage.

davidjay likes this.
  6. oiky

oiky Gypsy Boy Full Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Boxing is the top sport without a shadow of a doubt,but politics and nonsense mess it all up. I appreciate MMA way more than I did years ago. It's hard not too when best fight best with more regularity, the cards are paced so well, it is a bit messy to watch, but some of it can also be extremely skilled; MMA has definitely come on leaps and bounds in terms of skill since the mohawk and tapout era; that was muggy. Boxing is the guvnor, as always, but it's its own worst enemy, MMA runs like a well oiled machine, fighters fight, mostly when they should,and for that it's hard to knock it

7. BoxingAddick

BoxingAddick Active Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2021
    No not yet but if BT take over Sky as biggest broadcaster of UFC jumps to Sky i can see it becoming true, as long as more UK based content is created as alot of the shows are in US and UAE in early hours.

8. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Great post. Exactly how I see it.