BOXING - Where are they now? - Boxers in Retirement.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by COULDHAVEBEEN, Aug 8, 2010.

1. COULDHAVEBEEN

COULDHAVEBEEN Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 10, 2007

Yeah, there were many past Aussie greats who fought in eras where there was only one, maybe two belts, and about 10 times as many hungry fighters after them.

2. COULDHAVEBEEN

Jul 10, 2007
    This content is protected

Frank Bruno: Boxing champion to pantomime hero

by Ben Blackmore - ESPN - March 25th 2010

Frank Bruno became something of a national treasure © Getty Images"Arise, Sir Bruno" the Sun proclaimed after Frank Bruno finally got his hands on the WBC heavyweight championship.

After 44 fights, 15 years inside the ring and four knockouts (two of which were brutally painful to watch - let alone receive), England's most lovable sports personality had at long last got his hands on boxing gold. Fighting in front of a packed Wembley Stadium, back when the twin towers still stood tall in 1995, Bruno clung on for dear life during a frightful final-round ambush to defeat Oliver McCall via a unanimous points decision.

Having twice been knocked out in the latter rounds of past title attempts after leading on the judges' scorecards, once against Tim Witherspoon and then at the hands of Lennox Lewis, Bruno finally found the resolve to hold on and defeat McCall.

...everybody loves a winner.

"It was like a Michael Jackson concert, Pavarotti, Vera Lynn and VE Day, all rolled into one," Bruno said when recalling the atmosphere of the occasion on that balmy September night.

McCall was an emotional mystery, a mess, as he walked to the ring with tears streaming from his face - just as he had done a year earlier when he shocked Lewis to claim the title. In fact, had he not floored Lewis, McCall would have been something of a national laughing stock.

It was certainly no laughing matter for a 33-year-old Bruno though who, having dominated the entire contest for 10 rounds, typically ran out of steam in what was his final chance to reach heavyweight boxing's summit. Ducking and diving as if trapped in a low-ceilinged bat cave, only the ropes were keeping Bruno up as the bell ultimately came to his rescue. At long last, he was champion.

As a proud union jack-wearing patriot and assured Thatcherite, Bruno was a rarely found British sportsman who warmed the hearts of the nation. Even the late Harry Carpenter, legendary boxing commentator, famously tossed away his impartial colours to shout "Get in there Frank" back in 1989 when Bruno rocked the invincible Mike Tyson, before suffering a savage fifth-round stoppage in his second shot at the title.

"When I actually caught Mike Tyson," Bruno said of his first-round left hook, "and he started rocking, I thought for a minute that possibly we had him. But he came back much stronger and I certainly knew about it when he started hitting me. The hurt - not only physically, but psychologically - of losing that fight is difficult to make people understand."

Perhaps fittingly, it was Tyson who ended Bruno's career in the Briton's first mandatory title defence, once again terrorising Bruno on his way to a third-round stoppage. Bruno was later told that if he boxed again he would be risking a detached retina and the sight of one eye. Retirement beckoned.

3. COULDHAVEBEEN

Jul 10, 2007

What's the relevance of this album cover to a 'Where are they Now' boxing thread?

4. mahunga

mahunga Member Full Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Always wondered about Teofilo Stevenson probably the Greatest Amatuer Heavyweight that ever lived,was offered Millions to turn Pro but stayed true and become one of the Greatest Olympiads.!!!

Mahunga

5. COULDHAVEBEEN

Jul 10, 2007

He was very nearly the opening post of this thread. But wasn't sure if enough people would remember him. So decided to start with more recent or well known fighters.

Will put Teofilo Stevenson up soon.

Any clues on the relevance of the 'Band on the Run' cover to boxing, and specifically to someone who'll future in this thread very shortly?

6. JOSEY WALES

JOSEY WALES Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Is that a Scouse L/heavy named John far right i spy CHB ?

7. Rodin

Rodin Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 19, 2008
  8. COULDHAVEBEEN

Jul 10, 2007

Very perceptive Josey - expected nothing less of you mate.

(this John was of course born not far from where a certain Paul McCartney was born).

....your prize of a replica World Galaxy Championship trophy will be on it's way to you Josey.

9. COULDHAVEBEEN

Jul 10, 2007
    Nice work Rodin.

....you'll also receive a replica World Galaxy Championship trophy as a prize.

10. mahunga

Jun 28, 2010
    Couldhavebeen check out this tribute to The Great man Teofilo Stevenson has some great footage of what a dominant and absolute Class heavyweight he was.!!!
    Click Here
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOB7_BFqUeU[/ame]

11. COULDHAVEBEEN

Jul 10, 2007
    Great get Mahunga.

I remember as a kid with only a small interest in boxing seeing this guy keep coming back every 4 years and winning another gold medal (1972, 76 & 80).

Assumed like most he'd turn pro and clean up, though the heavyweight division of the time was pretty damn competitive.

A great talent, pros or no pros mate.

12. mahunga

Jun 28, 2010
    Great memories for me also,it was a boom time for Heavyweights at that time and was very similar in style to Ali but not as flamboyant,had a powerfull left and right hand and moved like a gazelle,one of the all time greats for me.!!!!

13. COULDHAVEBEEN

Jul 10, 2007

Certainly the greatest ever Olympian gloveman IMO, and I guess it just adds to the mystique that he never did turn pro.

Got a good article on him that I'll put up very soon mate.

14. JOSEY WALES

JOSEY WALES Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 27, 2006
    :lol: Thanks CHB but please raffle off my prize and send all proceeds onto a charity of your choice . PS Love these threads ,Thanks for putting in the effort .

15. TheDuke

TheDuke Let me marry Boxed Ears Full Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Gotta love wiki trekking. One of the other people featured in that picture had a measure of success in the boxing ring.