Boxing with a Deviated Septum and Fatigue

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by DylanDunn, Apr 8, 2017.

1. DylanDunn

DylanDunn New Member Full Member

Apr 8, 2017
    I've been in the gym for years now and about a year ago I got my nose busted and it's very difficult to breath from my nose. Now when I spar I breathe through my mouth because it's nearly impossible to breathe through my nose and I feel I get fatigued a lot because of it. The past few months I've been getting ridiculously tired sparring and I believe it's because of this. Any thoughts?

2. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    See a doctor. Your best bet it to get it fixed properly. You'll have to take some time off, but if you don't fix it this isn't going to get any better.

rodney, Ph33rknot, sasto and 3 others like this.
  3. DylanDunn

Apr 8, 2017
    I like the idea of that but do you think it's a bad idea to get if fixed because the chances of it happening again are high.

4. Braindamage

Braindamage Baby Face Beast Full Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Depends on how serious you are about boxing. If it hinders your performance and you want to do more than spar, then get it fixed.

5. kostya by ko

kostya by ko Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2005
    I've had that operation. It's not a minor procedure but it is one that you recover from fairly quickly (maybe 3 weeks back near normal).

rodney and Ph33rknot like this.
  6. Nonito Smoak

Nonito Smoak Ioka>Lomo, sorry my dudes Full Member

Sep 8, 2010
    I have a deviated septum. Never considered getting it "fixed." However, I long think about how much better I would have been in all athletics basketball and sparring, and life in general to some extent, if I didn't have it. I don't know how it feels to breath like a normal person... Kinda sucks, but hey.

Ph33rknot and mirexxa like this.
  7. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    Chances of getting yourself hurt due to extreme fatigue from not getting proper oxygen are higher if you don't get it fixed. See a doctor and ask them about it.

You've got zero to lose by at least having them look at it and hearing them out. Then you can make an informed decision.

BoxinScienceUSA likes this.
  8. DylanDunn

Apr 8, 2017
    Appreciate it

Saintpat likes this.
  9. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    Good luck with your boxing, your health and in general.

10. qwertyblahblah

qwertyblahblah Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 14, 2013
    I too had a deviated septum from sparring, when I was 18. I had surgery to get it fixed right away, and you absolutely should. You can't box if you can't breathe. Clearing up your nose will get your breathing and conditioning back to normal, and help your confidence and ability to make decisions in there. I sparred hundreds of rounds and had all of my seven matches after and I didn't have a problem with my nose again. And you should fix it for your general health and quality of life. What I remember sucked as much as the difficulty breathing for boxing was losing my sense of smell and taste! The surgery is pretty simple. Worse than the surgery was the gross feeling of having the padding I had stuffed in my nose removed. Felt like a huge booger being pulled all the way out of my brain! I can't forget that!

11. Bleon

Bleon New Member Full Member

Apr 5, 2023
    Hi mate, I think you are doing well after these years but now I am having same problem you had in the past. I am trying to have surgery because of my deviated septum but my doctor said that after surgery if you continue to box then your septum will be deviated again and the only way is to leave as it is (but it is hard to breath during boxing as you mentioned) or to stop boxing if you choose to do surgery. But your experience says differently, my question is did you have any longer problems with your nose?

12. MAD_PIGE0N

MAD_PIGE0N ... banned Full Member

Sep 3, 2022
    I had the same problem cause of boxing - my septum got deviated.
    1. Sure, after having the surgery, which is the only solution that will allow you to breathe normally and is a must to do for your health, you need to be more careful with the nose, but there're good headgears for that purpose
    2. The surgery isn't something special, don't be afraid
    3. I continued boxing and got my bone cracked, but resulted in no problem at all

kostya by ko likes this.
  13. mirexxa

mirexxa Heavyweight Champ Full Member

Jan 21, 2022
    I have it too but i always had trouble breathing with or without deviated septum even back when i was a kid. My nose was always stuffed. Deviated or not decongestant is all i need

14. Kura

Kura New Member Full Member

Apr 13, 2023
    I also had nose surgery 2 years ago but even after its not 100%fixed, I spar normally 0 issues

15. Justchris17

Justchris17 Member Full Member

Nov 18, 2016
    I have same issue struggled to breath for over 10 years I have 50% breathing capacity through my nose at best of times. I was booked in for surgery but changed my mind I was told my surgeon I won’t be able to get hit in nose again which means boxing would be no no. Interesting to see people on here returned without issue