BoxNation to be shuttered after Ultimate Boxxer 6? 2020 update: resurrected??

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Dec 12, 2019.

1. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Seeing rumors...

Tomorrow's heavyweight tourney is currently the only live fighting event on their schedule. Frank Warren has gradually - and now completely - ported his promotional interests over to BT Sport (which launched in 2013 and linked up in a 'partnership' with BoxNation a few years later, but now seems to have supplanted it as the broadcast home of its founding and biggest promoter).

Nine years. Was a nice concept. Had a decent run.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LoadedGlove likes this.
  2. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    I just hope Jim Rosenthal finds another gig commentating boxing.

I'm sure Buncey will be fine; he & Lillis could do well with a podcast or summat.

3. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Boxnation closing down is sad because it is a dedicated boxing channel. However much of its content has switched to ITV sport. Also sky sports is putting out regular cards.

So the UK boxing fan is well served with live fights both domestic and internationally.

The main issue at the moment is that so much boxing is being put on PPV. This isnt good for the fans or for boxing. Especially because we already pay for Sky sports, BT sport and other channels.

4. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    It's already a miracle that it lasted this long after not having had a good card since before Brexit was even a thing it seems.

Scissors likes this.
  5. ohwat049

ohwat049 Active Member Full Member

Sep 15, 2012
    I used to read alot of negativity however bought alot of cards to the world...
    Wish we had something similar in Aust, hopefully BT might somehow make it here..

Inglis_1 likes this.
  6. impacted

impacted Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Shame, 'Boxing Matters' was a great show with the right guests. I'd love Steve Lillis to get a job with BT or Sky because he's about a thousand times more insightful and knowledgable than the likes of Nelson, Froch and Woodhall.

macademics and syldave like this.
  7. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    Boxnation was a great concept at the right time for Frank, it kept him relevant and in the game whilst most other promoters went back to small halls, after MR were the only outfit given a contract by sky.
    It shows the tenacity of Frank cos non of the other promoters tries doing it and neither would MR had they not been the ones who got the sky deal. There was some great night's on BN but it's now served it's purpose and hopefully this deal with BT will be a fruitful one for both Frank and BT.
    Btw does anyone know how long the current deal between BT & Queensbury lasts for?

8. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    A real shame. They'd have had the Crawford fight this weekend for sure.

9. Dragon Punch

Dragon Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2012
    I’m openly sympathetic towards Warren, but I think it’s fair to say that he never got the credit he deserved for starting BN all those years ago. He left/was ushered out of the door by Sky with nowhere really to go, and instead of packing it in, the old *******d goes and starts a new friggin channel.

For many a year, it was brilliant value for money and how Warren managed to stay afloat is simply unbelievable.

10. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again. BoxNation was before it’s time. If it launched in today’s market as an app and could pick up some good cards it would do well IMO.

LoadedGlove, Wizbit1013 and syldave like this.
  11. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    I don’t think we’ll ever get anything like it again. The issue of course being that how do you create a permanent channel for a sport like boxing, where you really don’t actually have that much boxing taking place?

To illustrate the point, you could watch every single minute of the entire professional careers of Deontay Wilder, Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua and it would take less time that watching fifteen football matches, eight Wimbledon men’s tennis games, or one game of test cricket.

12. BXNG101

BXNG101 Active Member Full Member

Jun 9, 2018
    By not paying fighters on time and opening and closing companies down.

Scissors, Snowy1989, GTFUP and 2 others like this.
  13. KermitTheFrog

KermitTheFrog The people doing the banning are idiots Full Member

Sep 5, 2012
    It’s no coincidence that their output went dramatically downhill after Bill Ives died. I’m surprised it managed to limp along as long as it did.

14. crixus85

crixus85 Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2014
    One thing’s almost certain, if it was still kicking, they would be bringing us tomorrow’s Commey - Lopez New York show. Instead it will be the usual You Tube search, whilst knowing the result.

Inglis_1 likes this.
  15. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    This content is protected

This content is protected

PaddyGarcia likes this.