Boxxer under pressure from Sky ?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by DramaShow, Apr 9, 2023.

1. DramaShow

DramaShow 19 banned Full Member

Dec 22, 2020
    Claressa Shield's next fight will be on DAZN and not on Boxxer. Remember she signed for Boxxer previously but I think it was only a short-term two fight deal. They have also lost Jack Catterall recently and are filling dates with international shows and placing their fighters on these cards instead like in France and Poland.
    This content is protected

Look at their card in Birmingham on May 6. It isn't strong at all. Adam Smith really needs to come back and help Ben Shalom out. They started off well with Eubank Jr Williams, Brook Khan and Taylor Catterall taking place within a month at the start of 2022, but things have tailed off since. The only positive I can think of is staging an event at the Vitality Stadium.

[url]https://boxrec.com/en/event/870577[/url]

I have heard that Sky will be extremely unhappy if Smith Eubank Jr II doesn't take place on PPV, as he could take the Benn fight instead. Sky want 2 more PPVs between now and the end of the year, most likely Smith Eubank Jr II and Okolie Riakporhe.

Joseph Parker also left after only having 2 fights. Mckinson signed to them but then fought an unknown opponent in Italy.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
  2. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    If they are under any pressure then i highly doubt its going to due to Shields not staying on the platform

She only signed with Boxxer to get the Marshall fight across the line

Holler, Sonny1, Astro and 2 others like this.
  3. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    How will Sky cope without 3,000 people watching her fight at 4am?

WillzBaby, Holler, impacted and 7 others like this.
  4. Beale

Beale Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 13, 2023
    Would be lucky if 3 stayed up and watched her fight.

5. Beale

Beale Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 13, 2023
    Okolie will never be Box Office as the public know he makes a Glass Eye weep.

WillzBaby, Dangerwood84 and Astro like this.
  6. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    I have heard that Sky will be extremely unhappy if Smith Eubank Jr II doesn't take place on PPV, as he could take the Benn fight instead

Well there was never any guarantees of a rematch taking place as if Junior had won, that option was never there for Smith

Astro likes this.
  7. smoking mirrors

smoking mirrors Active Member Full Member

Jan 14, 2023
    Sky must be gutted that Claressa schooled Savannah so thoroughly that nobody’s calling for a rematch, apart from a few Fury fanatics who believe she can make “adjustments”. They can’t bang on about that one narrow amateur victory from 10 years ago anymore.

Beale likes this.
  8. Dragon Punch

Dragon Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Yeah, I heard Sky Bosses called an emergency board meeting when they heard Boxxer lost Mckinson, Catteral and possibly Joe Parker

There is no Eubank - Benn fight happening anytime soon despite the noise. I still expect him to take The Smith rematch, but let’s see.

I think Boxxer/Sky will be keeping a close eye on possible purse bids for Beterbiev - Smith. I guess that depends on whether Bob decides he wants to use them or BTs platform to bid as it’s not worth any real money in US/Canada.

Boxxer have definitely gone through a tricky period, but things seem to be shaping up much better for them recently. If Adam Smith can get through his personal crisis and make it back that would be a boost.

Astro likes this.
  9. alpo1

alpo1 #TeamShanny Full Member

Dec 10, 2005
    The only way 3 people would stay up for Claressa is if it's to watch her and big sav screwing each other

ryanm8655 and Beale like this.
  10. Astro

Astro Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2021
    It is correct that Boxxer has gone through a difficult period where many of the planned fights did not materialize, but I actually look positively on the future.

There have also been many things behind the scenes. People from outside who have done everything they could to try and destroy Boxxer´s events.

They are clearly missing Adam Smith who made a huge difference.

moog likes this.
  11. Astro

Astro Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2021
    I think Boxxer / Sky will make Okolie vs Riakporhe a PPV event and I don't understand that.

It will require a really strong undercard with several good fights because a fight between Okolie and Riakporhe is not going to sell any PPVs.

Holler and Trafford like this.
  12. Inglis_1

Inglis_1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Well they did get them to have a scrap at a movie theatre to build some hype up for it with minimal success.....

Maybe they could get them to have a scrap at five guys next waiting to place their orders or get them throwing burgers at each other or something like that.....

Holler and Astro like this.
  13. kevinreid001

kevinreid001 Punchdrunk101 Full Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Taylor vs teofimo Lopez is a great fight better any fighters that have left

14. Bfcad

Bfcad Active Member Full Member

Dec 10, 2022
    I think its fair to say this last few months has been a bit underwhelming and I would of expected more as he was slowly building it quite nicely through last year, I also think some of the sky focus is a little baffling,I don't understand why the big financial push was made to try and make Okolie a headline star for example.

However, in the big picture, boxxer is still in its infancy and he has done enough to deserve the benefit of the doubt that this little spell is nothing more than a stumbling block on the learning curve to being a leading promotional outfit. Ben was very adamant at the start that he was building a stable for the future and I think we will only truly know if Boxxer has been a success in a few years time - if he & sky do their job and the boxers perform then their profiles will build into bigger names / ticket sellers.

If you look at the competition, i don't think their is any reasonable argument against Matchroom having the best & deepest stable currently and their current schedule backs that up.....but if you dig a little deeper, how will it stand up the future? Almost all their current 'big names' that attract casual support and good ticket sales were built buy the sky machine.....and most of them are now in the final stages of their careers. (I'm talking about UK based here,I appreciate he has a lot of U.S/Mexican cards these days)

AJ (33)
    Warrington (32)
    Wood (34)
    K Taylor (36)

As much as they want to talk up Benn,the reality is with the exception of the Eubank JR fight hes never been a big headline name,his last fights were in half empty arenas.

Hearn did a fantastic job on building the careers of so many fighters over the last decade, I think we will find out how much of the work was his or skys in the next couple of years when this current batch have retired and if he has built replacements purely on DAZN or not. If at that point Boxxer hasn't built up the bigger stars,better schedule etc then I think it would be fair to say they really would be under pressure

tdf1974, Holler, Astro and 1 other person like this.
  15. Trafford

Trafford Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Sky wanted her vs Jonas. But the money isn’t there for what Jonas wants to cash out

Holler likes this.