Boy, Mayweather's comments on MMA sure didn't age well...

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by JonasLindberg, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    I don't think you can.

I think the biggest draw in the bigger sport needed a guy with a 0-0 record in a sport that's under 30 yeats old to secure his biggest pay day.

mark ant likes this.
  2. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    That Floyd's biggest payday came against a guy in a sport which is in it's infancy, a d Floyd was the biggest cash cow for over 10 years in his sport.

3. elmaldito

elmaldito Skillz Full Member

Jun 11, 2009
    you are talking about the guy who calls himself TBE......come on bruh

4. yaca you

yaca you Someone past surprise Full Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Floyd Mayweather never makes a good argument for anything. He is not a good ambassador for boxing.

He sure knows how to make money though...

5. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    I think Mike Tyson could beat a lot of MMA fighters in a street fight if he hit them before they could kick or grab him and he`d probably beat any MMA fighter that weighed less than him to.

6. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Good point but it will be a long time until an MMA fighter will be as big a draw as Conor same as it will be a long time till there`s a star in boxing as big as Floyd was.

7. SheenLantern

SheenLantern Active Member Full Member

Jan 13, 2016
    I mean, yeah. The boxer would only really have a puncher's chance. And most of the time it's gonna look like Couture/Toney.

8. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Tyson was a bigger more dangerous puncher than Toney and threw combo`s that an MMA fighter has never seen before.

9. Surrix

Surrix Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    I never has beefed on MT. Actually me more likes full MT rules rather than K-1 rules, maybe cos I was not bad in clinch and MT rules for me looks more suitable.

Not only, there is thing called dirtyboxe.

10. SheenLantern

SheenLantern Active Member Full Member

Jan 13, 2016
    Doesn't really matter, he's not going to be able to deliver any combinations before he gets his ankle picked and put on the ground. And even if you're Mike Tyson, you can't generate any power without your feet on the floor.

This content is protected

This is how quickly and easily an elite grappler can take you down. Is it possible Mike hits a picture perfect uppercut and sleeps him before he can do that? Sure. But how many times out of a 100 is that going to happen? What if he misses, or hits him on the shoulder, or on the forehead or anywhere other than directly on the chin? Mike hit hard, but not supernaturally hard, not orders of magnitude harder than guys like Rumble Johnson or Francis Ngannou, and certainly not harder than a knee from an elite Muay Thai fighter, which is the main strike you're concerned about when shooting for a takedown. And remember, Mike has to sleep him in one shot, if the fighter goes down but is still conscious, Mike won't be able to finish him on the ground without giving up an armbar or triangle choke.

Give Mike six months to learn some takedown and basic submission defense and he tears a hole in the UFC heavyweight divison, no doubt about it. But when you have no training at all, you're just so helpless, there's basically nothing you can do.

11. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    That`s not going to happen in every street fight, people don`t always stand off like that in a street fight they just come at you and you can`t dodge or block punches the same because it`s bareknuckle.

12. Moggy94

Moggy94 Active Member Full Member

Mar 25, 2021

Six months of training take down defence wouldn't stop guys like Cormier, Stipe, Blaydes etc taking down Tyson.