Brandon Rios vs. Micky Ward

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by SheenLantern, May 9, 2021.

1. SheenLantern

SheenLantern Active Member Full Member

Jan 13, 2016

12 rounds

Prime for prime

Who would have won this likely FOTY contender?

Mastrangelo likes this.
  2. Balder

Balder Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Wow, what a fight this would be.

I would have to say that these warriors would give one of the most memorable fights of all time. My head says Rios is just to much for Ward, but my heart says Ward will find a way late and that he lands enough legendary lefts to the liver to turn the fight around.

I see Rios schooling Ward early, but eating body shots on the way in. It slows him down enough to make this a KO for Ward in round 12 by the same punch.

My head says Rios makes it to the end and gets a close UD. But Ward loved guys that were there to be hit and wanted to fight.

Ward gets the KO round 12.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    The G-Man and SheenLantern like this.
  3. Xplosive

Xplosive Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Rios had a vulnerability to body shots.

I think he would be beating Ward handily, but gradually the body shots wear him down, and eventually Ward catches him with one that bends him in half late.

Ward KO 10 while down on the cards.

robert ungurean likes this.
  4. The G-Man

The G-Man Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 24, 2020
  5. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Yeah I’d have to favor Rios. And Ward would have to be at his very best to make a good fight of it

Smooth.Boi and Mastrangelo like this.
  6. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Zab Judah said one of the most painful fights he had ever been in was with Micky Ward because of the brutal body shots.

Whenver I hear the name Brandon Rios I remember how the feather fisted Tim Bradley managed to stop him with body shots. That boy folded like an accordion.

Doesn't seem like a good combination in theory.

7. Mastrangelo

Mastrangelo Active Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2019
    Was thinking about that one today, after re-watching Ward against Augustus and first Gatti fight.
    Rios seemed more fluid with his offence to me. Ward had great left hook of course, but Brandon's technique and mechanics seemed better as far as rest of the offence go - and his own left hook was not bad at all. Rios might've been a bit stronger as well - so I think He'd have an edge.