BRAVEST boxer?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Journeyman92, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Pugguy

Pugguy Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    “Fought to support their families” immediately triggered me into the name Billy Miske - vs Bright’s disease, vs opponents in the ring atop the responsibility of supporting his wife and children. Incredible.

Tonto62 and Noel857 like this.
  2. Cobra33

Cobra33 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Bobby Chacon- the amount of punishment he was willing to endure was insane.
    Autro Gatti- his tremendous heart along with his punch propelled him to many victories in which most other boxers would have quit.

DJN16 likes this.
  3. DJN16

DJN16 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Throw Rocky Marciano in between and that is one exceptional brave fighter.

Down 3 times in the 1st round to Durrelle and came back to win says a lot about his bravery.

ikrasevic likes this.
  4. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    Arthur Abraham

5. Journeyman92

Sep 22, 2021
    He was brave, but a slimy piece of work that Jack Johnson.

6. Tonto62

Tonto62 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 26, 2011
    "I loved him for his courage he wasn't afraid of anything",Irene Pineau his last wife.

7. Tonto62

Tonto62 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Good case for making Miske the poster boy here,imo.

8. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Anyone who steps into the ring is a brave man

9. michael mullen

michael mullen Active Member Full Member

Oct 28, 2021
    Right,...it's totally worthless to indulge in comic book, childish hyperbole when discussing boxers and their bravery .It (bravery} is inherent to being a boxer. As necessary and commonplace an attribute in this great sport as you can get. It's like having a thread about who's the tallest midget in the room.

Reinhardt likes this.
  10. Tockah

Tockah Ingo's Bingo Full Member

Mar 12, 2022
    I think intrinsically stepping into the ring takes bravery. But 'comic book childish hyperbole' is misrepresenting the point that I and other people are making I think. Anything inherent is not equal in everyone. I like the sentiment and agree on the inherent bravery of boxers, but you'd be certainly incorrect thinking all boxers are equally brave. Not that I think you're saying that but it is what is implied. The 'hyperbole' people have used in this discussion is genuine admiration for the fighters not exaggeration. Calling it worthless it disingenuous to the game, there is no hyperbole about the bravery of men who fought for peanuts to support their families for decades, with no real hope of status or glory. Someone has to be the journeyman and the men who know the purpose they serve in the sport, and continue serving it are brave.

Pugguy likes this.
  11. The Fighting Yoda

The Fighting Yoda Active Member Full Member

Jan 5, 2021
    I think there's an interesting difference between brave and courage. I checked out the definitions.

Brave:
    "Someone who is brave is willing to do things which are dangerous, and does not show fear in difficult or dangerous situations."
    https://www.collinsdictionary.com/de/worterbuch/englisch/brave

This, of course, implies classic brave fighters ala Johnson, Frazier, Ali, Holyfield, Marciano etc....

Courage:

"Courage is the quality shown by someone who decides to do something difficult or dangerous, even though they may be afraid."
    https://www.collinsdictionary.com/de/worterbuch/englisch/courage

Of course, there are also more sensitive people who are more plagued by fear. They need a lot of extra strength to overcome their doubts and anxiety. For instance, there are actors who still suffer from stage fright after many years or even decades of professional experience...
    Others, however don't care at all...
    From that point of view, Floyd Patterson was a very courageous fighter, although he arguably wasn't the "bravest".

Pugguy likes this.
  12. Guru88

Guru88 Active Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2020
  13. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    Old Jack wasn’t perfect but IMO, I wouldn’t call him slimy. Considering the non supportive, oppressive environment he was born into he could’ve turned out a lot worse.

Journeyman92 and Noel857 like this.
  14. Journeyman92

Sep 22, 2021
    Being a flesh salesman and abusing your wife into suicide is slimy. He could have also turned out a lot better.

15. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    It takes more than just a few lines to address those subjects.

There were far many more than Johnson, himself a a first gen. from slavery, who were born into social and monetary privilege who did far worse - and it was no small cause to Etta’s chronic depression that she was made a social outcast due to her marriage to Johnson.

Besides, the subject here is bravery, we could meander well of course if we stop to examine the not so flattering personal lives/traits of several that have already been cited here for the their bravery.

Noel857 and Mike Cannon like this.