Bridgerweight

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Rumsfeld, Jul 25, 2021.

1. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Alen Babic is the top 5 ranked Bridgerweight in the world...

2. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    The answer to this is so simple. Lightheavyweight then Heavyweights and Superheavyweights. No need for cruiserweight or bridgerweight.

Pro boxing needs to mirror the weight classes in Amatuer boxing.

cruiserweights are heavyweights. Just change the name.

ecto55 likes this.
  3. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    100%.
    This is right on the money.

Today Superheavyweight boxers turn pro to take part in an incorrectly named weight division in the pro rankis.

SHW has existed since 1984.

At some point before this, extra functional weight did become achievable in boxing.

Until Ecess weight stopped being so limiting as it had been in all previous eras HW became bigger, they became SHW.

The range of where a tipping point was regarding a height to weight ratio in boxing had changed dramatically from previous times. So fighters physically had less weight limitations as time went on. And that is how a Superheavyweight division seperate from heavyweight really evolved. It is why a new division was introduced into the Amatuer sport in the right way.

Kamikaze likes this.
  4. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Not now that comes later-including its very own respective junior and super divisions.

5. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Brideweight is just classic HW-with weight cuts they will cap out at about 240lbs lol Now the worst weight class is gonna lose some talent as some guys drop down to try and make "Histroy" In a new division. Now CW and Bridgerweight will be sister weights with HW probably seeing very few Holy/Usyk situations once it becomes more actually established.

choklab likes this.
  6. Rumsfeld

Rumsfeld Moderator Staff Member

Jul 19, 2004
    I see what you're saying. The jump would be more reasonable in the event there was no 168.

roughdiamond likes this.
  7. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    The whole thing is a disaster for historians who like to be able to make comparisons with the past.

It’s just a money making scam that won’t benefit boxing.

bridgerweight is the guys we already have now. With few exceptions most super heavyweights can make it’s limit especially with 24 hour weigh ins.

we don’t need a new weight class. Just change the name of cruiserweight to HW and HW to SHW as it always has been in amateur boxing since 1984.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    Kamikaze likes this.
  8. djanders

djanders Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2009
    I can remember The Dreadnought Division, started sometime in the 30's. I remember my Dad and Uncle discussing it. I believe it was over 200 pounds(?). That went where The Bridgerweight class will probably end up. On the trash heap of boxing history. ALTHOUGH, nothing would surprise me at this point: Maybe Bridgerweight will become a recognized division. What do I know? I was surprised when Cruiserweight stuck. As I said, NOTHING surprises me anymore.

CharlieFirpo85 likes this.