Briedis still potentially eyes move to heavyweight division

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Dance84, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Dance84

Dance84 Unicorn and seastar land Full Member

Oct 11, 2017
    Briedis still has his eyes on moving to heavyweight, although is open to Okolie if they can offer him an interesting deal.

2. mirkofilipovic

mirkofilipovic ESB Management Full Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Well he should hurry, he aint exactly a young man anymore.

3. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    He can win some fights regardless, but the shop has probably sailed at heavy.

Maybe bridger?

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  4. MrFoFody

MrFoFody Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 17, 2005
    An old small cruiserweight moving up to heavyweight is a recipe for severe butt whoopins.
    Breidis knows his place...

5. Surrix

Surrix Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Bridger actually looks that always was best limit for Briedis.
    His most effective and watchable versions were amateur kickboxer and pro boxer with weight in weight 213-214 lbs.
    at this weight looks that his legs worked better than with CW weight in limit.
    Usually boxer if is heavier, moves slower but with him this was opposite.

He is old and I think he does have more potential vs some HW boxers or bridger than if he remained at CW.
    I suppose that if he will fight with weight in weight 212-214 lbs he will remain more fights left.
    Maybe.

Holler, catchwtboxing and guncho like this.
  6. Dance84

Dance84 Unicorn and seastar land Full Member

Oct 11, 2017

I think he does well at heavy

7. 11player

11player Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Usyk, Hunter, Ruiz Jr., Povetkin, are Briedis size and top 10 heavies.

Parker, Ortiz, Pulev, Chisora, are just a tad bigger.

I dont believe Briedis can become HW champion, but he can have interesting fights in the division, maybe get a mandatory position and fight for the title.

I cant see him beating Joshua, Joyce, Fury, Wilder, Hrgovic.

How about:
    Briedis vs Charles Martin
    Briedis vs Wallin
    Briedis vs Dubois

Holler likes this.
  8. Surrix

Sep 16, 2020
    If Briedis was 30-33 y.o he might had fairly normal chances vs Wilder and Joyce, him likes predictable and hard hiting boxers.
    Him did no liked movers like Usyk and boxers with style like this. Movers with very fast jab might gave him problems even in CW.

Ruiz Jr is heavier and does have hands not slower than Usyk and despite leg lazy, he is skilled. He might gave hell for Briedis in clinch.
    Povetkin was world level amateur boxing superstar and 30-35 y.o Povetkin in 225 lbs does not looks beatable for him.
    Old 39-41 y.o Pov vs 30-33 y.o Briedis, this yeah.

Hunter, Pulev, btw Whyte might be good fights for him.
    Of course if he will be in good shape. I think he should retire now.

Hrgovic they will not gave him to fight with. vs prime not old current Briedis this might had been 50/50 fight.

BeantownAll likes this.
  9. BeantownAll

BeantownAll Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Pretty tough to make money in CW right now outside of the UK if the WBSS isn't happening.

Pretty sensible for Briedis to put out feelers for a HW opportunity, because he's only really got a year or two left. I don't see BW getting off the ground by then.

You can make lots of interesting fights with him at HW - but he probably doesn't get a whiff of a title shot unless Fury/AJ throw belt(s) in the trash to seek bigger money.

Might be fun to see Briedis against Pulev?

10. BeantownAll

BeantownAll Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Once Fury/AJ plays out - seems like Hrgovic is next in line. Sooner, rather than later, if Fury comes out on top. HW interest in the USA is declining (at least for now) and it seems like Hrgovic is the fight most would want made.

Surrix likes this.
  11. Surrix

Sep 16, 2020
    Depends from shape they will have.
    If Briedis will have shape like he was vs Dorticos ( this for me doesn't looks even 90% shape, he threw few punches with real power ) then I had better to prefer to see him vs Makabu not Pulev.
    V.s Makabu this might be for sure ppv worth, more watchable than vs Okolie with biased eddie business commentators and yelling + most likely hugging fest with something close to 120-108 matchroom cards for Okolie.
    With Makabu we might have to see boxing without mauling and holding. Nice boxing fight. Makabu really is not bad boxer to watch.

I think he might agree to fight vs Pulev.

12. Safin

Safin Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 3, 2019
    He wants no part of Okolie, who would certainly beat him one way or another.

Okolie is more talented, and he's also much taller and longer. Okolie is also very strong. It's a mismatch.

13. Surrix

Sep 16, 2020
    In eddie backyard? 120-108 cards and hometown referee, commentators, fans already are set up for next british prospect.
    In U.S Okolie will not wish to have any part from Dorticos.:D Dorticos isn't boxing corpse and might put Okolie into ICU, he is not worse than Briedis BTW.
    Ohh, Whyte and Chisora will beat up him cold up in 6 rounds.

14. Surrix

Sep 16, 2020
    While I think they might had agree to fight even without belt on line, there are few things.
    Looks that S are H promoters and I suspect that they even had sparred enough too. This makes sense.

Hrgovic is not old and might even continue to improve, while Briedis is old and still maybe not enough old.

Belts wise, I have opinion that Briedis now doesn't care about belts and might for example agree to box with Usyk without any belt on line etc.
    Pre retirement stuff.
    I really do have some proof: when Briedis defeated Huck in Germany he might had get 1 lesser well known belt but he did not asked this.
    Sanctioning fees most likely were problem for him.
    Also he does have Ali trophy and long years ago might had asked BB in KB and he for sure had get this based on achievements and no one could had took this from him till end of his life.
    Doesn't looks that he is too much about belts.

15. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Let's let him decide that.

I thought Okolie got a great win the other day, and I would like to see more of him. Breidis doesn't seem to me the type that is afraid of anyone.