Briedis vs Glowacki, wild fight..

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by MaliBua, Jun 16, 2019.

1. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Total hogwash. Having to create a hypothetical situation to excuse Briedis just proves that his behavior is inexcusable. Glowacki did do that so there is no point trying to claim that he did , or would.

Many guys would have a standard of sportsmanship to take it upon themselves to stop attacking when they herd the bell go.
    Not only did Bredis happily crak him with an elbow , but he was also happy to pound on him after the bell went.

Ward is meant to be the dirtiest fighter alive , but Froch hit him after the bell and he did nothing in return. I doubt the thought of throwing an unmanly elbow ever crossed his mind.

There is simply no justification in driving elbows into a mans face.

If Huck deserved an elbow for every rabbit punch he threw he'd be eating his diners through a straw right now.

In the heat of the moment , in an exchange , a fighter is auto tuned to throw a punch. Sometimes they go low , sometimes they go around the back of the head. Its rarely ever intentional and it happens all the time.
    Most fighters have the restraints , discipline and honor not to snap back like a vicious girly thug.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  2. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Go to 9:03 of the video. I see two fighters still throwing leather here, and neither man backing down. What's Briedis supposed to do at that point? Drop his hands and walk back to his corner? Highly risky given the circumstances and the fact that Glowacki would be looking to even the score after the foul and the knockdown. So hypothetical or not it was a very real possibility, and Briedis was right to keep fighting until the ref physically stepped in.

This content is protected

Slowhand and Rock0052 like this.
  3. dinovelvet

Jul 21, 2012
    No, Glowacki was out on his feet there and was fighting purely to defend himself. MB went in for the kill not giving a rats ass about the bell.
    Most fighters would not have done what he did.

4. Rock0052

Rock0052 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2006
    Allow me to tumble down the slipperiest of slopes to provide an unashamedly exaggerated example....do you think G-man would've thrown an elbow early on to stop Benn's rabbit punching if he'd had it to do over again? Far more fighters get severe damage or die from rabbit punching than they do from any other foul. The elbow looks worse visually, but unless it's to the temple, it's not the same and doesn't carry the same risk as the type of rabbit punch Glowacki threw. My two cents is that if it takes a 1 or 2 point foul to nip that in the bud early in the fight, it's worth the tradeoff. It's up to the ref to maintain order from there.

Had Glowacki not initiated the sequence and been exaggerating his reaction, I might be more sympathetic to his cause. That said, he still should've gotten the 5 minute rest IMO.

I think they should mandate him to fight the winner of Dorticos-Briedis and proceed with the tournament finale as planned.

Slowhand, PaddyGarcia and It's Ovah like this.
  5. It's Ovah

Sep 5, 2016
    He was back in his stance throwing jabs and vying for position, not reeling around like a drunken sailor. In fact he actually throws the first two shots after the bell, so he either hadn't heard the bell or didn't care. I ask again, what's Briedis supposed to do? If he drops his hands he's almost certainly getting clocked, so he has no other option but to keep fighting. It wasn't like Glowacki wasn't trying to take his head off at the time he dropped him, because he was. With gusto.

6. Hussle

Hussle Member Full Member

Apr 23, 2019
    Byrd needs a vacation after that one. You don't hear the bell for a second, fine, but he wasn't even close to the action to break them up.

George Crowcroft and bubbrubb like this.
  7. dinovelvet

Jul 21, 2012
    You can still be out on your feet and throw punches. He was fighting on pure instinct which is why those two jabs were miles away from connecting.
    MB was in no danger and could have easily ended the melee if he wanted , but chose to exploit Byrd incompetence instead. And he was the one who took Glowacki's head off , no the other way around. The man fully admitted to hearing the bell in the post fight interview. He clearly did not care , and went in for the kill against a guy who was still out on his feet from he KD moments earlier.

I saw Nathan Clevery stop a punch mid air when he heard the bell go against Fonfara.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  8. dinovelvet

Jul 21, 2012
    How many guys have died from rabbit punching ? How many have got brain damage from rabbit punching compared to punches to the head?

9. dinovelvet

Jul 21, 2012
    It wasn't to the back of the head. His left was a push punch to his upper back with no force or power on it
    You can barely even call that a rabbit punch.

This content is protected

10. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Great finish from Briedis.

CST80 likes this.
  11. It's Ovah

Sep 5, 2016
    So he was fighting on instinct. That'd make him quite dangerous, surely? Maybe even unable to control himself without outside intervention? Good for Briedis that he didn't drop his guard then, wasn't it?

Rock0052 and Luis Fernando like this.
  12. It's Ovah

Sep 5, 2016
    Yeah, what a dumbass Briedis was, mistaking a gentle push to the upper back for a blatant attempt to rabbit punch him.

You've made me see the light.

13. anjawnaymiz

anjawnaymiz Can we get Ivan Dychko some momentum Full Member

Sep 6, 2008
    That ref was a disgrace, how long did that round go on for!? What a bellend!

George Crowcroft likes this.
  14. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Literally a rabbit punch but OK

Rock0052 likes this.
  15. bruce_keyes

bruce_keyes Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 9, 2008
    are you serious? you think rabbit punches and elbowing your opponent intentionally on the jaw is a great scrap?? then letting the fight go on 15 seconds after the bell so the hurt fighter gets KO'd? nothing to love about that.