Brit Showdown. Henry Cooper vs Frank Bruno

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Ken Ashcroft, Jan 9, 2015.

1. MMJoe

MMJoe Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Bruno was ATG powerpuncher. Bruno just too much for Cooper.

2. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Cooper was stopped on cuts 4 times in 55 fights.
    In none of them was he off his feet.

3. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    I don't think nature intended Frank and Henry to be that unsimular physically, size wise or height wise. Frank was a bodybuilder. Henry cut too much weight, even by his era's standards.

They were around the same height.
    http://i.ytimg.com/vi/kAlrzkqpUA4/hqdefault.jpg[/QUOTE]

4. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007

Bruno was naturally bigger. He carried 220lbs with ease and 240lbs at championshp level. What you are suggesting is that Cooper could add thirty pounds, easiliy, and maintain, and fifty pounds and fight and win against a ranked heavy.

It's just you re-writing history to suit yourself as usual.

5. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    Bruno was bigger but how big would he have been in Henry's day? I'm not rewriting anything. I think Frank would not have been so big circa 1957-1970. The training was different.

How big was Bugner before his first retirement?

I think Bugner was more the natural super heavyweight.

6. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    If he was he would be. If he wasn't he wouldn't have been :lol:

How the **** do i know? Carnera might have been Valuev sized, Willard might have been the world's biggest man. He either would have been, or he wouldn't have been.

If he was, hard to see a competitive fight due to the size difference of 30lbs to 50lbs. If he wasn't, it is impossible to say as Bruno presumably would have fought considerably differently without an 82" reach. Which his much, much longer than Cooper's.

7. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    Frank would have the same height and reach in Henry's day he just would not be quite so heavy.

In all likelihood Henry was a natural 200 pounder and Frank was a natural 210 pounder but their respective obsessions with training put both on the opposite ends of the weight spectrum.

The point I make is Frank at the height he was in real life wasn't any taller than Henry since photos prove it.

had Frank trained in Henry's era he would not have pursued a weight training and muscle building programme so he would not have fought at the enhanced size that he fought at in the 1980s and 1990s.

I don't think heavyweights had access to, or had yet experimented with enhancing natural size and strength since championship contests were 15 rounds long.

Frank still would have been heavier than henry but not that much heavier. He would not be any taller.

Henry could still cut, Frank would have two handed power but henry would be the faster boxer setting a better pace.

8. lora

lora Fighting Zapata Full Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Bruno would morph into a devastating uber-quartey at the lower weight and become a consensus all-time great.A juggernaut of straight punching brutality.

9. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Or he might have been just as heavy. There is absolutely no way for you to prove the above. It is opinion masquerading as fact. He may, like Carnera, have stressed the need for strength and size every bit as much as he did in his own day. In fact, he may have been bigger. The chances are small but it is not impossible.

Or, being smaller may have been of enormous benefit as lora has pointed out.

Either way, it's irrelevant, and the only reason you're stressing it is because it aids you in your attempts to artificially inflate your chosen fighter's chances in an imaginary fantasy confrontation :lol:

That's right, a natural 200lb fighter who never weighed 200lbs in his entire career. Fun never stops with choklab.

Yes, that's right. Frank Bruno was a natural 210lb fighter, although he weighed close to 220lbs just after his twentieth birthday long before he added serious girth of weight training

http://d.ibtimes.co.uk/en/full/392303/frank-bruno.jpg?w=630&h=907&l=50&t=50

Tell me, is there a whisky stream in the bizarre fantasy universe you inhabit?

No, the photographs do NOT prove it. This is another claim you have consistently made that is bull****. Here is a photograph of 6'1 Carl Froch and Anthony Joshua who is 6'8:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/oJQjohJ0Arc/hqdefault.jpg

They look around the same height in this picture. It doesn't "prove" that they were around the same sight. In reality, Joshua is seven inches taller.

Fighters often look about the same size when they are relaxing in their non-ring clothes. It's just the way of it, always has been. Two inches is almost nothing in terms of street clothes, relaxed etc. In the ring that is NOT the case. Bruno, who was one of the most famous fighters of his generation, was around 6'3. The chances that they got his height consistently wrong is almost zero.

Similarly, Cooper was around 6'1. The chances they got his height wrong consistently is almost zero. Bruno was taller, longer, and naturally heavier.

And all the photographs in the world of their looking around the same size is going to change that.

Is Samuel Peter the same height as Oleg Maskaev?:

http://www.saddoboxing.com/boxing_images2/Maskaev-Peter3.JPG

One inch shorter?:

http://www.boxnews.com.ua/photos/1250/Oleg-Maskaev-Peter6.jpg

Or two inches shorter?:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...fu96l4L8p1T2s8Y3P72kaH6gCKQFR4KDccg6mrl7kueK3

Pictures prove all three.

Did you know that Joe Louis was taller than Muhammad Ali?

http://media.washtimes.com/media/im....jpg?acd5948239ab67a8c52aa4b55d7a5fa457708230

Or that Mike Tyson was the same height?

http://a-j-s-boom-boom-room.2299399...mike-tyson-and-muhammed-ali-in-tuxedos_11.jpg

Why not? There was a very strong muscle training culture at that time? Bruno might have got into it, how do you know he woudl not have? How can you state this as absolute fact? He might have, might not have. If he did, he would end up 245lbs. If he didn't, he would end up around 220.

I think he would have fought at around 225lbs, personally. I doubt he would have added the extra twenty he put on in his late twenties.

Your frantic attempts to make Frank Bruno and Henry Cooper the same height and the same weight for the prospect of this fantasy fight is laughable and dishonest.

10. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I've met both, and Bruno is appreciably taller.
    I don't know where the hell you are coming from here.:huh

11. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Bruno turned pro at 20 he was 217.5lbs he was naturally significantly bigger than Cooper, it isn't even up for debate.

Cooper was 6'1.5" that's what he told me when he was crouching at the top of the stairs leading to the ring at the RAH and I ,[Jokingly ,] told him to get out of the way.
    Bruno was 1'.5" taller, in a suit he didn't look so big ,small waist no surplus at all , but ready to fight he looked enormous
    .I was at Wembley when Cooper fought Mildenberger there was never that aura of massiveness about Henry.
    Bruno and Bugner both sat next to me at fights, Bugner was in a leather jacket, he was huge.Brunio in a tailored suit was giving out prewritten autographs to all and sundry, very gracious and unaffected, nice man but you didn't get a sense of his size until he stripped for action.
    I remember him fighting Jumbo Cummings,Cummings had a huge back on him and monstrous arms but Buno was chiselled like a greek statue, seriously developed. The made Cooper look like Carl Froch against Wlad.

12. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Well it would have been nice if you had come along an hour ago, would have saved me a lot of typing and googling :lol:

13. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    There's no pleasing some people:oops:

14. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    When I met them they were both in suits and there seemed less difference height wise. I never saw either live in the ring ready to fight so I shall give you the benefit of the doubt. I did however meet Frank on a beach on another occasion where he was making a charity appearance years earlier and in a vest and shorts his arms looked huge, like legs, and I understand that never came across in a suit. In that sence Frank was bigger, taller I'm not as sure. I also don't think Ali looked down at Henry but then Henry was rather upright and Ali was 6'3''. Bugner was bigger and taller than all of them.

15. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Henry Cooper KOs Frank Bruno.

Frank has a puncher's chance, since Cooper wasn't iron-chinned himself and also was prone to cuts, but if they were at their respective bests, Cooper would outbox Frank and knock him out when he tires.

Cooper was nothing special and sometimes he could lose to journeymen but his career wasn't manufactured - and he was a much better boxer than the stiff bodybuilder Bruno.