British Amateur Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by chatty, Jan 13, 2011.

1. chatty

chatty Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 18, 2009
    There is no amateur forum on ESB so i thought id create a thread whereby the amateur fans can can talk anything about the amateur boxing scene. I imagine with the olympic games coming up next year that the amateur side will get a bit more publicity (although it wouldnt suprise me if it got gone) over the next year and a half.

Plus its the business end of the season with the schoolboy championships starting this month before the junior and Senior ABAs pick up from march.

The thread can also be used to talk about past boxers/competitions or the world amateur scene. if there is already a thread on this send me the link and ill ask the mods to delete this one.:good

2. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Rob Palmer Full Member

Oct 25, 2010
  3. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Rob Palmer Full Member

Oct 25, 2010
    GB Boxing's first international test of 2011 will see a mixed squad travel Sweden for a dual international this Friday.

The team, led by coaches Nigel Davies and Paul Walmsley, includes World Championship silver medallists Nicola Adams and Savannah Marshall. Savannah, who aims to improve on a prolific 2010, is gradually building up to box at 75kg in the Olympics and will make the move from 69kg to 73kg for this contest.

Amanda Coulson will be hoping to get her year off to a good start, after missing out on the GB Championship gold medal to team mate Natasha Jonas at the end of 2010. Women's EU Championship silver medallist Chantelle Cameron and Welsh boxer Lynsey Holdaway complete the line-up for the women's squad. Lynsey's recent successes include reaching the quarter finals of last September's Women's World Championships, and a victory over Ruth Raper in the semi finals of the GB Championships in November.

A youthful men's line-up features two Welshmen; Joe Cordina, who won a silver at the World Combat Games back in September, and 2010 Youth Olympian Zack Davies. Representing England are Shafiq Asif; who has won his last three internationals as a GB boxer, Repton's Sam McNess; and 2010 ABA champions Anthony Fowler, Lawrence Osueke and Anthony Joshua.

The full team is:

Women
    50kg Lynsey Holdaway (Wales)
    51kg Nicola Adams (England)
    60kg Amanda Coulson (England
    64kg Chantelle Cameron (England)
    73kg Savannah Marshall (England)

Men
    56kg Joe Cordina (Wales)
    58kg Zack Davies (Wales
    60kg Shafiq Asif (England)
    64kg Sam McNess (England)
    69kg Anthony Fowler (England)
    81kg Lawrence Osueke (England)
    +91kg Anthony Joshua (England)

4. LP_1985

LP_1985 JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times Full Member

Sep 6, 2009
    why is fowler in the team and not callum smith

5. chatty

chatty Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 18, 2009
    I reckon Savannah marshall has a hell of a crack of winning gold at the olympics if her form improves the way it has over the last couple of years. She walked away with silver medals at the European and World championships and it was her first time in the comps, plus shes only been a senior for 2 seasons. Another years and a half of international experience will do her the world of good and if she can improve than little bit more she should definately at least win a podium place

6. ishy

ishy VIP Member Full Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Anthony Joshua - The Next Big Thing :happy

7. MIK1000

MIK1000 Well-Known Member Full Member

May 1, 2005
    Scotland take on wales this weekend in edinburgh, featuring Commonwealth games boxers, Joe Ham and Aston Brown as well as Commonwealth games lightweight silver medallist Josh Taylor.

8. tmsbry

tmsbry #1 Full Member

Feb 14, 2010
    How come 3 time ABA champion Martin Stead ain't boxing at 60kg?

9. PaddyD1983

PaddyD1983 Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Great thread

MODS - STICKY PLEASE!!

10. smithj1234jj

smithj1234jj Guest

louise mitchell making history as the first women scot to box for scoltand in scotland!!

11. moorser

moorser Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 8, 2009
    What do you lads think of Martin Ward ??

Dont think he has much chance of beating Tom Stalker .
    He is an Irish Traveller so I wonder will he come over and try box for us if he dosent make team GB for the next olympics.

12. moorser

Jan 8, 2009

From the clips ive seen he looks impresive but a bit raw, he beat Irelands new up and coming super heavey Sean Turner (19) who beat Amin Isa a few months back 6-3 last month in a Ireland v England international.

How old is he Ishy do you know ?

13. PaddyD1983

PaddyD1983 Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Never seen Ward so unfair to comment but Stalker is top notch.

14. moorser

Jan 8, 2009
    I have seen both but I am very impressed by Stalker he would do well in the pros imo and is already 26.

Here is Ward winning the ABAs last year.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ntXFh_PGeg[/ame]

15. GPater11093

GPater11093 Barry Full Member

Nov 10, 2008
    I've sparred him, although a while ago.

Real fast boxer with sharp quick counters. A good amatuer style, really.

Stalker dosen't impress me at all, I admit he is a good amateur boxer, but I feel he lacks the necessary tools to be a complete boxer or a good pro, no disrespect to him, though, he has done amazingly well.

Would be a superb match if these two squared off, polar opposite styles really.