British Amateur Prospects

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by IgneoII, Apr 15, 2017.

1. IgneoII

IgneoII New Member Full Member

Apr 13, 2017
    What amateurs have caught your attention?

With most of the rio team turning pro, it'll be an interesting few years for amateurs who try get to Tokyo 2020

2. Izaak97

Izaak97 Active Member Full Member

May 9, 2012
    Out of the ones that are pretty much nailed on to stay amateur Pat McCormack is the main one for me and I definitely expect him to medal in Tokyo. His brother Luke and Calum French all from the same club Birtley will probably qualify for Tokyo and do well. Also, I was impressed with Galal Yafai in his Rio fight but he was probably too young and inexperienced then and by the time 2020 comes round he'll be a lot better.

Mad amounts of talent coming through the GB system though so it'll be interesting to see how they'll all improve but I can only see us doing very well in major competitions from now on.

IgneoII likes this.
  3. InsideJab

InsideJab Member Full Member

Aug 8, 2015
    The level Galal Yafai is performing at after being so relatively inexperienced really is something else. I see him as the best prospect for 2020 especially after his recent WSB showings.

4. BoxingABC1

BoxingABC1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Dalton Smith has looked good whenever I've seen him beside the ones mentioned such as Pat McCormack, who i think is the star of the squad atm

5. letsgochamp

letsgochamp Member banned Full Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Dalton Smith
    Pat Mccormack
    Callum French
    Peter Mcgrail
    Will Cawley

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  6. iceferg

iceferg Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Heard that lad Harris Akbar who just won the England Championships (formerly ABA's) is very talented. Think he's only about 19 as well.

7. iceferg

Apr 25, 2008
    Heard that Haris Akbar gives him a run for his money in sparring. Luke McCormack Pat's identical twin not being mentioned and ever since junior age he's seemed just as good as Pat.

8. Northadox

Northadox Active Member Full Member

Apr 9, 2017
    He is good, But he's dirty. I was at the finals on Sunday and even then he did a couple hits behind head.

One of my friends use to be 69 and sparred Haris and said one thing he noticed is the dirty hits behind head and not greatest stamina

iceferg likes this.
  9. iceferg

Apr 25, 2008
    What was his fight with Laws like in the final. I know Joe Laws, good lad, I was hoping he would win it and actually believed he would but apparently Akbar is a good fighter. Also what was the Hodgson fight like n 60kg final heard he won, pleased to hear it but surprised did not realise he was that good.

10. Northadox

Apr 9, 2017
    Felt for Laws, Harris was a step ahead the whole fight. Laws gave good effort showed he has heart but nobody questions the decision. Can't remember the hodgson fight that well from memory!

11. letsgochamp

Apr 6, 2017
    the ABA's is basically like the 3rd or 4th best fighters in the weight facing each other, the top GB guys don't even enter. Plus it's only English fighters, no scots or welsh or northern irish. To me it's overrated it's like the equivalent of winning a Area title in the pros.

12. Northadox

Apr 9, 2017
    Ben Whittaker was in at 75.. Who's a better amateur 75kg boxer?

13. letsgochamp

Apr 6, 2017
    Well Anthony Fowler and Troy Williamson have just turned pro.. So it's up for debate between Whittaker,
    John Docherty from Scotland, and Jordan Reynolds. Whittaker beat Reynolds at the weekend.. not seen the fight though.

In most weights it really is the 3rd or 4th best in britain facing each other..
    Pat Mccormack, Dalton Smith, Frazer Clarke, Mcgrail, French, Yafai, etc etc all didn't enter

14. DavidJames

DavidJames Active Member Full Member

Mar 15, 2016
    John Docherty looks a top prospect at Middle

15. FutureSugar

FutureSugar New Member Full Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Top prospects:
    Tom Hodgson 60kg
    Dalton smith 64kg
    McCormack twins 64/69kg
    Carl failharris Akbar 69kg