British boxing may have just lost it's biggest, best night...

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Holler, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Tyson Fury pulled a fast one on the boxing world this week with his shock link-up with Top Rank and ESPN. Of course he's still with Frank Warren, but the money suggests that he will be a US based fighter from here on out.

Which got me thinking about the fight that now may never be. I'd hoped that next year would finally see the Wilder question answered and then British boxing fans could look forward to this country hosting the fight of the year in the premier division.

What a fight it would be. AJ versus Fury, the new champion versus the old, the two best heavyweights in the world, both British, with contrasting stories and styles. London Golden Boy versus the Northern Gypsy King. Hearn versus Warren. etc etc. All of it taking place at Wembley stadium in front of 90k British fans, the culmination of years of growth in UK boxing. A high point never seen before and probably never again.

Well it won't happen will it? Sure they may fight, but Bob Arum and his paymasters will be calling the shots from Fury's side and they will want the fight in the US. Hell, Fury may for that matter given AJ's popularity over here. I didn't though and however good their fight is, it won't be the same for this British boxing fan.

Robney, Smudge_, Potwash and 2 others like this.
  2. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    It will be a dark day if an all British fight for the undisputed king of the world is held away from these shores.

cam2010, Deels, Suspect.chin and 4 others like this.
  3. Wig

Wig Boxing Addict Full Member

May 31, 2010
    British boxing might have just gained its biggest ever night sometime in the future if young CHRIS Livingstone continues on his current trajectory

First ever fight with a trainer and he’s a two time champion of the world

The sky is the limit for the young war machine

4. bladesman

bladesman Active Member Full Member

May 31, 2015
    Tyson's a big dosser.

The love for him over the last 12 or so months has been misplaced.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  5. emallini

emallini Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Mar 16, 2008
    The heavyweight division is trash. The top 3 wouldn't be top 10 in a good era.

6. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Name the era and then we can all demonstrate how wrong you are.

Suspect.chin likes this.
  7. Accurate

Accurate Jump back, wanna kiss myself! Full Member

May 3, 2018
    As long as the fight happens and soon I could not give a f*ck where it takes place personally.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  8. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Oh what have you done @emallini you’ve set him off again about Joshua now. That’s obviously the only fighter he’ll be taking issue about.

Personally, I think Mike Tyson would have knocked out all of the current 3. Lewis would have, too.

9. NasalSpray

NasalSpray Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2018
    I could see it doing 2.5 million buys and 100,000 at Wembley. Does the US beat those figures?

10. Holler

Mar 12, 2018
    Plenty of people at the time calling the division trash then too...

11. Holler

Mar 12, 2018
    Maybe not, but the clincher will be that if they hold it on the east coast they will still get 1/1.5m of those UK £20 buys whereas if they hold it in the UK it doesn't make PPV in the US. So the total pie will be bigger in the US, plus Espn have no interest in a UK fight.

12. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Bang on. I’m enjoying the current era, it’s a decent top 5.

Gatekeeper likes this.
  13. delboy82

delboy82 Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2014
    It's a competitive top 5. People can argue all they want in terms of quality but for the first time in what 30 years we have say a top 5 in the division who could possibly lose to each other.

I will take 4/5 close competitors over one outright star every day. We all appreciate klit now but he made the heavyweight division boring by being so much better than the rest.

Unforgiven and Twentyman like this.
  14. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    It'd be ironic if the biggest ever fight in British history isn't held in Britain...

The 90's/00's.

Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis & Ike would clear this lot out, no problem.

Then Lewis, Wlad and Vitali would do the same, too.

Fury = Mobile giant who can't hit hard.
    AJ = Stiff giant who is predictable, but can hit.
    Whyte = Shocking.
    Parker = Decent, but predictable.
    Ortiz = Good, but ancient.

15. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    After the Klitschko era this current crop of HW's is a breath of fresh air. Talent wise not as good as the 90's but far superior to the K-Bros era, at one point in that period Stiverne, Eddie Chambers, Chagaev and Adamek were in the top 5 for several years and David Haye was seen as the saviour of the division !! After that 12 year wasteland seems some fans are still not happy, glass half empty comes to mind.