British fans predictions for tonight

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Twentyman, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    i know it's not a fight involving a British fighter and so there's a legitimate arguement for putting it on the general, but it would be nice to hear the impartial Brit fans view on it on here, it is its own community in a way anyway. In a way this will effect a British fighter BJS should he beat Monroe.

I'm edging towards Canelo on this. I think apart from power and size, he is better than GGG in the skills department and he can take a dig. GGG looks like he's on the other side of the hill now and he takes too many shots for me although part of that comes from having a great chin and not really respecting his opponents power. I don't think he'll enjoy the very accurate shots that Canelo dishes out and GGG showed signs of frustration against Jacobs when it wasn't going all his way.

stittyb likes this.
  2. Amazing one

Amazing one Active Member Full Member

Jan 14, 2013
    I've been leaning Canelo for use of angles, footwork, speed, counter punching etc But that Golovkin jab & everything he sets up off it, added to power & being naturally bigger.

I'm stumped. I could see either guy winning but probably only GGG by KO.

3. oiky

oiky Gypsy Boy Full Member

Jan 17, 2014
    I'm going GGG, in a career best performance. I think he will put on a boxing clinic and gradually close in on canelo, getting more aggressive and stop him in the 8th or 9th round

He'll be throwing them shots with perfect leverage and accuracy and I do think Canelo will give him some stick Canelo is a great fighter in his own right but for me GGG is the winner, forget brook and Jacobs, this is the fight GGG has really wanted for a year and a half and now he's got it and full motivation is there and it will show

4. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    I can't call it to be honest. Both fighters and made for each other's style so I really hope it's a cracker.
    It's ok people talking about Canrlos counter punching but if he doesn't have the power for GGG to fear what might come back then he is in trouble because GGG will.have the power to make Canelo think about opening up.

I honestly think it all hinges on Canelos power at the weight because he can't box and move away from GGG like Jacobs did.

5. yesihavearm2

yesihavearm2 ESB Chinchecker Full Member

May 30, 2008
    I think Canelo will win the first 3 rounds as Brook did and then Golovkin will wear him down and stop him.

To beat GGG you either need to be a mover like Brook or have the power to keep him honest like Jacobs. Canelo has/is neither of those things.

Canelo also had a bad tendancy to take breaks on the ropes which is suicidal vs GGG.

Canelo will have his moments and I believe he has the faster handspeed, but I see these people picking Canelo talking as if GGG is some sort of slow plodder himself, I think Canelo will eat a lot of jabs. Brook, who has one of the best counter-jabs in the game was still taking punches off the counter despite being the faster guy.

I think Canelo winning 4/5 rounds maybe enough for the judges to give it to him, he has been on the receiving end of some of the most dubious scorecards for a top fighter in recent times.

It's either gonna be stoppage GGG or decision Canelo.

S.K likes this.
  6. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    GGG late stoppage. As said above, you need to be a mover to beat Golovkin because Golovkin has an iron chin and Canelo, who couldn't put a dent on a human punchbag Chavez who was dead at the weight, will not put a dent in GGG.

Canelo is not a mover, he has excellent upper body movement but likes to stay back on the ropes and counterpunch. IMO his style is all wrong for Golovkin.

I see a stoppage coming from accumulation of punches or maybe Alvarez pulling Canelo out. Doubt we'll see a 10-count KO.

7. matt007

matt007 Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 5, 2010
    A Saunders UD and I'm edging canelo on points. Gonna watch Saunders fight then try to have a few hours nap to then watch the big fight.

8. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    I can see why people are going with Canelo but I am going with GGG. We all know about Golovkins pressure and power but until a couple of years ago he was a world class boxer. Has he lost those skills or has he been thinking as I suspect, I am happy to take one to land one as I can take a shot and hit much harder than my opponent ? Against Lemieux he boxed alot more as he respected his power and I think he will do the same with Canelo. I think if he does he can hold his own with Canelo in boxing skills and after a very tough fight will wear him down at win by stoppage between 9-12 rounds. Can't wait, been waiting for this fight for ages. I just hope the best man on the night gets the decision as I have a feeling if it goes to points and GGG has shaded it he won't get decision. Hope I am wrong. Great in away that their is no Brit in fight as an watch it without emotional attachment.

9. Octolony shore

Octolony shore Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I always thought GGG will beat canelo and I'm not changing my mind because so called experts are tipping canelo, I remember the same people saying he'd beat mayweather.

10. Badgeronimous

Badgeronimous Will you stand? Full Member

Nov 8, 2008
    2yrs ago, I would have said GGG - and comfortable.

However 35yrs is old for GGG's swarming/pressure style. Historically Swarmers show age related decline the earliest of the 3 classic boxing styles.

I am still favouring GGG, but it isn't a confident prediction.

stittyb likes this.
  11. Octolony shore

Octolony shore Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Does anyone fancy the underdog treble (skoglund, Monroe, alvarez) at 85/1?

12. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Golovkin should win it comfortably for me.
    Golovkins a master at making you work harder than you want to be working.
    Canelo,s stamina wont hold up against the pressure golovkin brings. Then it,ll be writing on the wall time imo.

Think smith stops skoglund.

Billy joe will win. Could be a tight one tho. For all bjs bluster with the exception of eubank junior hes not really beat anyone of note. Andy lee maybe. But talks of being on the level of canelo or golovkin are laughable. Hes got very good skills but power will beat him when he moves up to the next level. Doesnt have enough to keep guys off him for 12. Blackwell after getting thouroughly outboxed in the first 3...started causing him problems with pressure. Golovkin would hurt him.

Pretty much the three favourites. Hoping monroe causes bjs problems after this week tho. Difficult guy to fight...but so is billy joe. Think billy will exert his will on him tho and win the battle of the boxing. Could be interesting tho if monroe gets on top of the boxing early doors.

13. ipitythefool

ipitythefool Prediction ? Pain Full Member

Mar 17, 2017
    I'm going for GGG. He has better jab, sustained pressure, footwork and in fighting skills. He has also consistently faced better opposition than Canelo. Canelo brings youth, speed (not foot speed though) , better combos and possibly/probably the judges. Should be a fine fight. GGG by round 10 tko.

BJS will probably beat Munro although i'd be quite happy to see an upset given the classes antics form BJS and crew and son. BJS on points unfortunately.

Smith will be too much for the swede and will win by mid to late ko.

Shame Price isn't fighting - he's always great comedy value.

14. STEPHEN1990

STEPHEN1990 Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 22, 2017
    i think golovkin will make canelo quit canelo has slow feet and will be there to be hit and whenever golovkin has fought a fighter thats right there it doesnt end well

canelo almost wanted to quit against mayweather

15. Bensub

Bensub Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 17, 2015
    Saunders points
    Ggg points
    Smith k.o