British fighter of the year & decade?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Brixton Bomber, Dec 24, 2019.

1. perfitt93

perfitt93 Member Full Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Year = Josh Taylor
    Decade= Carl Froch
    Favourite = George Groves
    With correct management fighter of the decade would've been Kell Brook. Absolutely sold down the river

EJC83 likes this.
  2. rski

rski Well-Known Member Full Member

May 12, 2013
    Out of AJ and Fury it’s not easy to pick the better man in terms of them bringing a struggling, boring heavyweight division to life. AJ’s star power and ability to stay at the top, taking on some decent contenders has to be considered, I also liked his fight with Wlad, although he looked vulnerable he proved that he was actually a fighter that would grit out a win, he faced adversity and didn’t crumble like a pampered celebrity which surprised me. Then, again he overcame adversity in beating the dangerous Ruiz in the rematch, yes it could have been a more emphatic win but it was a high pressure fight, his career and legacy on the line. The mental challenge of that didn’t overcome him, he stayed focused and did what he had to do. Pretty strong way to end the decade.

Fury was less consistent in a lot of ways but what he did was somehow more inspirational though in my eyes. Beating Wlad, ending that streak in his own backyard, then the wilder fight which invoked emotions I not felt since the old days of boxing, a real throw back. What fury did in getting up in that round 12 then coming back stronger, reminded me of Ali, it shocked me to even think I’d mention them in the same sentence. But that was the stuff of legend. Even though AJ came back from defeat to a degree, he cannot top that kind of mental fortitude, especially due to the manner in which he himself lost. So I’d have to pick Fury as fighter of the decade, quality emphatic moments over quantity guess.

3. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    It’s a stretch to say Fury’s brought a struggling division back to life. The Wlad fight sent most of the audience to sleep.

Also, let’s not get too carried away with the supposed legendary Klitschko win. Not only was it a truly dismal spectacle, but he bottled the rematch which was very frustrating.

Mitch87 likes this.
  4. Paul1970

Paul1970 New Member Full Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Who do you think then kid Galahad ha

5. Paul1970

Nov 24, 2019
    Joshua should get an award I agree . He should get one for the most overhyped and overated fighter in years

6. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    Two-time unified heavyweight world champion, beaten everyone he’s ever faced including five world champions, all in the space of 24 fights.

7. Paul1970

Nov 24, 2019
    Cmon fella his resume as got more holes than Swiss cheese in it . I’ll be honest I’ve only just watched the he second Ruiz and my god what a **** fight .whenever Ruiz tagged him You could see Joshua’s arse falling out of his pants . He can dance round the fat man all night and get away it but against wilder and fury he will need to engage and that will not end well

8. Oreet Cha!

Oreet Cha! I know what I like and I like what I know. Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Fury v WK
    Joshua v WK

Which was the more exciting, on the edge of your seat fight, and which one would you like to see again if time stood still? Same answer, no danger. Y'all know it. Truth.

I am a fan of both AJ and Fury before you pipe up. See my Bio.

I have seen more exciting fights (almost daily) between my 2 cats than I did when Fury fought WK.

A win is a win I suppose.

TonyHayers likes this.
  9. Bridie mcmahon

Bridie mcmahon Active Member banned Full Member

Sep 10, 2015
    he has the best resume in heavyweight boxing overall though paul It's irrefutable.

EJC83 and Heisenberg like this.
  10. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    I’m really not sure it was. Klitschko had a very bad night. Fury bottled the rematch because I think he knew a more focussed Klitschko would be a far harder opponent.

11. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    It was a far better win,regardless of potential theories people have

If you are going to use that logic ,lets say how fat and under prepared Ruiz was when fight night came

Twentyman likes this.
  12. rski

rski Well-Known Member Full Member

May 12, 2013
    I'm not saying Fury single handed brought the division back to life, they all played their role. My point is that I personally found his own accomplishments in the decade more emphatic than AJ's. That’s not to say that I think AJ didn’t achieve anything decent, he did pretty great himself. Fury's win over Wlad wasn’t an awesome spectacle if you like action packed fights but it was a massive accomplishment at the time, he defeated the king in his own back yard. This is something that hurts AJ as well, mainly due to the circumstances around him he can’t do something inspirational like go to another’s champs home country and take his belts, he is too controlled. Fury nearly did this again against Wilder, he arguably won that fight.

I think my view of AJ might be different if in defeat he went out on his shield against Ruiz when he lost, I realise he wasn’t he usual self etc, but it sure looked like he just wilted and decided hed had enough, which is fair enough. Not exactly Holyfield like resolve though is it. I really liked his win over Ruiz in the rematch but again this didn’t set my imagination alight in the way Fury did against Wilder, there was no quit there and this is why he edges AJ for me.

13. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    AJ has the best resume in the division. Since becoming a World Champion there's been no Stiverne or Schwarz style fights, that has to be respected regardless of whether you like him or not.

14. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Carlos Takam was his weakest defence following him getting Klits belts. But even he was better than either Stiverne from the rematch or Schwarz.

15. Wig

Wig Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 31, 2010
    AJ is 1-1 with an obese little Mexican fella, has shot old Alec povetkin, green Dillian Whyteleafe and retired shot old saggy backed grey haired never fought again VLAD, then a load of tier two fodder.

fury has wilder (draw) away from home, prime delboy chisora x 2, Cunningham away from home, and an eleven year undefeated super champion VLAD in his own backyard.

wilder has Luis Ortiz x2 and a debatable fury draw along with putting to sleep everyone he has ever faced.

fury has the standout names but I pick wilder to finish the decade as top dog when he puts fury to sleep in feb. AJ loses to both cleanly. Via ko or schooling choose your poison.