British Light Middleweight Champion?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by brown bomber, Dec 9, 2007.

1. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Not sure how you guys feel about this fight last night but I feel its slightly cheapened a title that has had a fantastic recent history. Over the last 12 years the British light middle title has seen the Ensley Bingham reign of terror, Ryan Rhodes rise to stardom and some incredible fights such as Alexander- Samuals, Samuals-Williams, Moore-Jones, Moore-Macklin. I just don't feel either Woolcombe or Portman deserved to contest what has been such a prestigious title. Woolcombes got talent but I don't think he deserves to be champion yet.

2. rooq

rooq Rooq's Boxing Promoter Full Member

Jan 16, 2007
    i snoozed through this fight....was it any good?

3. elle

elle Journeywoman Full Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Could not agree more.

This match up was made as a result of Moore vacating the British Title once the Baysangurov fight was called off - hope that isn't a decision he comes to regret. Presume there was an incentive for him to vacate.

Think there were more deserving challengers for the Title - Andrew Facey for one must be feeling a little hard done by after Moore struggled against him recently.

4. Big Ears

Big Ears Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 5, 2005
    Facey, Pryce, Small, Rhodes, Jones, Alexander..........I have the feeling we won't have to worry about Gary Woolcombe dragging down the standard of British champions too much .

It wasn't a British title quality fight , it was barely eliminator level .

5. scurlaruntings

scurlaruntings ESB 2002 Club Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Totally agree.My first thoughts when i watched this fight was "what happened to the slew of light middles we had domestically?" We used to have some solid light middles who were worthy domestic foes.Last nights battle was a farce for me.Neither guy is anything great even on a domestic level.It almost cheapened the title for me:patsch

6. Bigcat

Bigcat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 10, 2006
    A lot of the aformentioned fighters would own both of last nights fighters..

I couldn't see either handling a tough night with Jones, Maklin or Moore..

Not got the stuff it takes....