British P4P top 10

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Distrikt45, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Distrikt45

Distrikt45 New Member Full Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Extending this - who (if anyone) do people think could break into this top 10 in 2017? I'm a massive fan of Kal Yafai but British P4P top 10 probably unrealistic.

2. DirtyOldTown

DirtyOldTown Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 24, 2016
  3. DirtyOldTown

Jul 24, 2016
    Callum Smith easily.

Distrikt45 likes this.
  4. Distrikt45

Dec 14, 2016
    Forgot C.Smith - very fair comment

5. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    How can anybody have Eubank Jr in a British P4P top 10?

I would assume a top 10 P4P list is based on what fighters have actually done and not what people believe they will do.

Eubank Jr has done virtually nothing yet, I'm not saying he won't or can't but he hasn't yet.

6. Distrikt45

Dec 14, 2016
    100% agree with the above

7. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    I always judge mine on who i thinks the best regardless of size form level of opposition experience etc. I take them into account after ability. Can have someone with less achievements above someone who has more achievements if i think their better Just always how i ve done it. I m not sure its the right way but for me reckon its the best way

Otherwise a p4p list would pretty much be set in stone without too much dispute.

8. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    I agree. For me also its not just who you beat but at what point in there career, the manner in which you beat them and also the shift they put in for you to beat them. All these factors should be considered.

bbjc likes this.
  9. DirtyOldTown

Jul 24, 2016
    He is potentially world level but fights like his next opponent are just pointless. Ever since BJS he's gradually been fighting worse and worse opposition, I don't get it. What's he waiting for? Get in there with Golovkin, make millions of pounds and gain some credibility with the British public.

N17 likes this.
  10. yesihavearm2

yesihavearm2 ESB Chinchecker Full Member

May 30, 2008
    How are these factors in a P4P ranking which is simply taking size/weight at a ratio?

We need to have some sort of new list then or use a different definition for "Pound For Pound"

11. im sparticus

May 16, 2010
    Like bbjc stated, these are factors i use to determine a p4p list.
    A good example here would be lomas win over walters.
    If the walters of old had turned up to fight and loma bet him i would consider that a better win than his recent proper win of walters, there may come a time when two fighters are neck n neck in the ratings and its these factors that will be the difference in splitting them.
    This is just my prefered way of doing it.
    There is no, go to textbook.

bbjc likes this.
  12. yesihavearm2

yesihavearm2 ESB Chinchecker Full Member

May 30, 2008
    But they are factors which are nothing to do with the phrase P4P or anything to do as to why this list originated in the first place.

It's just a list of fighters then that you yourself rate and by your own criteria?

13. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Can you give us your list. Your british top 10 p4p. And what you base it off.

I m pretty sure how p4p is rated nowadays is rated differently than it once was. Could be wrong on that but i always rated mine differently anyway. Mine is basically who is britains best fighter regardless of weight size etc. Not achievements or who they ve beat but the best. I bring achievements etc in to play but its not as important in my list than it is in others.

A lot of p4p list are based more on achievements....frampton beats quigg and santa cruz so hes top. Hayes not fought anyone so hes bottom. Joshuas not beat much so hes 7th etc. The list basically picks itself if thats the criteria. Its a bit like whats the point.

im sparticus likes this.
  14. im sparticus

May 16, 2010
    Its got to be more than just taking weight/size as a ratio for me.
    Ok someone lets say lee selby has a world title at 126, then what factors do you use to theoreticaly establish what hed do if he was 147 or 168, you cant just say hed win an ibf title and defend twice at those weights. U have to establish how good he really is at the weight hes at and some of the ways to establish that is how i suggested.
    Another way ( in theory) a fighter at say 147 has done a job on everyone in the division and cleared it out taking on some real good fighters in there own right and they came to fight on the night.
    Your (in theory) putting him in against the stars at 160 and 175 these guys are title holders but theres no other decent fighters in there division and there campaign has been an easy ride, like aj i suppose.
    Then that 147 fighter deserves to be above the others i said.

Just simply taking weight/size as a ratio dont make sense to me if im arguing a p4p star

15. Chalky

Chalky Member Full Member

Jul 18, 2016
    I see it all the time Amir Khan getting it these British P4P top 10. I just don't get it. I just don't know how. But he is always rated in the top 10.