brits that wasted/never fulfilled there potential

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by TIGEREDGE, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Sonny1

Sonny1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Which Martinez?

2. alfonso

alfonso Active Member Full Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Paul Smith should have been middleweight his whole career.
    I know he was a two weight world champion but wish Haye had had more fights.
    Should Frankie Gavin have done more?
    Prince Arron maybe

3. Oneirokritis

Oneirokritis The Scourge of Stupid Idiots. Full Member

Dec 18, 2015
    I'm assuming he means Sergio 'Maravila' Martinez.

Sonny1 likes this.
  4. Oneirokritis

Oneirokritis The Scourge of Stupid Idiots. Full Member

Dec 18, 2015
    Khan's main issue was that with during his time with Virgil Hunter, he was apparently only ever in the gym when he was training for a fight, and just seemed to regress skillwise after being with Hunter for only a little while. Compare this with Andre Ward, who was in the gym most days even when he didn't have a fight scheduled.

5. Sonny1

Mar 11, 2013
    That’s what I thought, but they were different fighters. Martinez more of a puncher and Amir had much quicker hands. Khan should have gone to the Mayweathers, sad to say. As long as he had a strong entourage and team with him, which he didn’t, they would have got the best out of him.

Oneirokritis likes this.
  6. Sonny1

Mar 11, 2013
    Tbf it’s very hard to train somewhere all year around when you live thousands of miles away. Ward lives in Oakland which is 20 minutes away from that gym.

I get what you are saying though, as long as you aren’t sparring all year around, you have to train all the time if you are going to be at the top of your game.

Oneirokritis likes this.
  7. iamthegreatest

iamthegreatest Well-Known Member banned Full Member

May 4, 2020
    Can people say Kell Brook & Khan underachieved? They both won world titles.

DJN16 likes this.
  8. zulander

zulander Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Sergio. Maravilla.

Khan. Could have adopted a simelar style and at times did under roach.
    Someone mentions it on comms in I think Martinez v pavlik that Martinez would wait his time.. And then ambush someone. Obvious Khan didbt have Martinez power shots but he could put together combinations well.
    So for Khan
    Stay outside and then use his hand and foot speed to raid in and out. He did this at times v maidan a.
    Hunter tried to turn him to a defensive fighter and after about 2 fights it was fairly obvious that was never going to work Khan liked to attack to much and maybe didn't live the life. But hunter gets a lot of credit for Ward and I'm not so sure he deserves that much. Always felt he was a bit of a fraud.

9. PerfectNose

PerfectNose Galahads reign of 14 weeks lol banned Full Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Boxing is a sport with so many world titles and weight divisions, vacant title shots, weak divisions, weak champions, robberies and so on .. That just merely winning a 'world title' doesn't necessarily mean you achieved a lot or are the best in youur division.

I'd say Khan overachieved with all his flaws ..thanks to being a manufactured product given everything on a plate.

Kell underachieved because with his talent he should have unified titles, had better names on his resume and won a title up at 154.

navigator and iamthegreatest like this.
  10. ipitythefool

ipitythefool Prediction ? Pain Full Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Callum Johnson for me. Had problems outside the ring and didn't fight for years then had injury issues. His kd of Bebertiev shows what he could have done. But he's past prime now. Shame.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  11. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Khan committed career suicide leaving Roach & Ariza.

djfonti likes this.
  12. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    I'd still love to see him fight Joe Smith.

ipitythefool likes this.
  13. bardin

bardin Member Full Member

Nov 3, 2018
    Vernon Sollas - had loads of talent but run out of puff - allegedly a problem with salt retention. I remember him sprinting out of his corner and walloping an opponent within a second of the first bell in an amateur contest. I would say (I'm bias as I was brought up round the corner from him) that Ken Buchanan, highly rated though he is , could have gone much longer at the top if had not run into Duran.

I also agree with someone above that Groves never made the most of his talent. Again he was unfortunate to run into a fierce battler just at the key moment. A little more ring xperience and he would perhaps have gone on to make an even bigger impact

Noel857 and Brixton Bomber like this.
  14. Bob Flaps

Bob Flaps Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 30, 2019
    Possibly, but there's every chance he'd have lost a fight at some point if he'd stayed busy, and we've yet to see what happens to him mentally when he loses. Probably better for his longer-term career that things went the way they did.

99 other users likes this.
  15. navigator

navigator "Billy Graham? He's my man." banned Full Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Last time I saw Junior was in an exhibition bout in Hull on one of the cards St. Paul's put together to showcase its talent. They threw a novice pro called Nathon Smith in there with him, he was doing the old Ingle working men's club routine, just body-sparring here and there while Nathon tried to hit him to head or body. He was still in shape. Weird to see him looking like such a pudding tonight, belly bulging through his tee. :lol:

Sad and true.