Brook/Hatton & Martinez/Macklin RbR!!! *NO SPOILERS!*

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by ishy, Mar 17, 2012.

1. TFFP

TFFP The Eskimo

Nov 28, 2007
    I think both their displays against Sergio suggest Barker/Macklin are fairly evenly matched as most suspected.

2. sportofkings

sportofkings Boxing Junkie banned

Jul 21, 2010
    I think Macklin's stamina is part of what led to him being knocked out by Sergio, as im sure some woild have already said. I did notice a real decline in his foot and head movement around the mid rounds. Its not conincidence that Martinez couldnt miss with the jab and straight left as the fight wore on. Of course Sergio had something to do with that, and he picked up the pace, workrate and intesity as Macklin tired and stamped his class on the fight like a real champion. I think that Macklin maybe could have gone the distance and maube have won a few extra rounds if his stamina hadnt let him down though, similar to the way it did in the Moore, Varon, and sturm fights. Of course Martinez would still have won, just an observation though.

Id still favour Macklin in a Barker matchup, hes got the style to beat him, and his boxing skills are a bit underrated to.

3. Bryn

Bryn Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 22, 2011

I was fairly impressed by Macklin, seemed to be more thoughtful with his work than I expected him to be...and he definitely came to win, which is always nice.

Definitely showed that he can hang with anyone at World level, I'd like to see him in with Chavez Jr.

4. sportofkings

sportofkings Boxing Junkie banned

Jul 21, 2010
    No. They were just better fighters than given credit for.

He had no great problems dealing with a hard punching, large middleweight like Pavlik, so that isnt the reason. And anways Sergio looked about the same size if not bigger than Macklin in their fight.

5. slip&counter

slip&counter Gimme some X's and O's Full Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Martinez is a legit, heavyset middleweight. People should stop thinking he's small. He walks around above 180lbs.

6. dftaylor

dftaylor Writer, fanatic Full Member

May 7, 2010
    Sadly, some posters want to discredit Martinez rather than praise Barker and Macklin for being above the normal euro-level bilge we put out.

7. TFFP

TFFP The Eskimo

Nov 28, 2007
    Martinez might be a big middleweight but he'd be a tiny super middleweight, I think that's one of the biggest gaps in the sport to bridge. Froch, Kessler, Bute etc are massive. That's why he doesn't have many places to go IMO and why they're fighting the likes of Barker, Macklin and desperately trying to coax Mayweather into a catchweight fight.

8. slip&counter

Jul 23, 2008
    Yeah, he's big in comparison to the likes of Macklin, but those super middlweights are HUGE. They're really natural light heavyweights.

Can you imagine what someone like Andre Ward would do to him...:scaredas:

Martinez is in a Terry Norris type situation. He's not ganna move up to the weight above to face the big names there and rightly so. He hasn't got many big names willing to fight him in his own division. So he's looking to welterweights. Almost identical to Terrible Terry.

I think Martinez would really struggle below 160. He's put on a lot of muscle and it's nonsense if he says he can fight at 150lbs for example. People have this false impression that he's only at middleweight because he's forced to be there.

9. Flea Man

Flea Man มวยสากล Full Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Macklin did better than Barker I thought, well, he put more effort in I guess. Showed heart for getting up from two bug left hands late on and mainly because he was trying to get something going.

Different fighters I know, but Barker stank the place out. I reckon he's too straight up and Macklin would put him out.

10. mckay_89

mckay_89 Haw you! Full Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Just watched the fight there, Macklin did well, he's certainly a lot better than I gave him credit for. Also, watching his post fight interview it's clear to see the guy's a class act.

11. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    He isn't that big. He is 5'10 and it looks like after weighing in at the limit for Williams and Pavlik he feels better weighing closer to a light middleweight.

He is well muscled but Pavlik, Taylor, Hopkins etc are outheight and size him considerably.

12. slip&counter

Jul 23, 2008
    Nah, Martinez is not as small as you think. He's definitely a legitimate middleweight. So what if he's 5'10. That's a good height for a middleweight. Hagler was 5'9. It doesn't tell us much.

They did a three week weigh in on Martinez before the Paul Williams fight and he was 176lbs that's three weeks before the fight. That tells me that Sergio walks around in the mid 180’s. Why? Because if he was training well before the 3 week weigh in and if he was 176 then, I can assume he was in the 180’s when camp started about a month before that.

Martinez is giving the illusion that he can be effective and is really only a 154 pounder being forced to fight at middlewight and he can even fight at 150. Which is bullsh*t is all i'm saying. They insult our intelligence. People and Team Martinez can say what they want. That man is a legit middleweight.

In fact Martinez/Williams 2 was a catchweight fight, people forget that. Why? because Martinez was the champion at both 154 and 160 and he chose to stay at 160. He complained that he had to come in at 157lbs for Williams. They want to give the illusion that he’s so small. But when the Williams catchweight was proposed they gave the illusion he was SO BIG from putting all that muscle to fight Pavlik.